fp1-97
s1-94
d1-84
m1-96
physics -A
Computer Science-A

Good enough for Cambridge or not?
Reply 1
You will get an interview. From there it will be up to you.
Original post by dibs99
You will get an interview. From there it will be up to you.

so they only use ums to determine whether you'll get an interview?
Reply 3
Pretty much. They say that they look at your personal statement... But let's be honest here, being good at math has nothing to do with reading books about history of math or whatever.
Reply 4
Original post by theamazingone
so they only use ums to determine whether you'll get an interview?

Most people (approx 80%) get an interview.

Approx half of them get an Offer.

And approx half of them get a Place.

Because, STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jneill
Most people (approx 80%) get an interview.

Approx half of them get an Offer.

And approx half of them get a Place.

Because, STEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd love to see some statistics on how many people make their offer apart from the STEP section. Could be interesting.
Reply 6
Original post by Mitchb777
I'd love to see some statistics on how many people make their offer apart from the STEP section. Could be interesting.

It's not very relevant. Hit the STEP requirement and you're in (pretty much). Miss STEP but hit A-levels and you're likely to be rejected.

Cambridge have found STEP is a good predictor of Tripos success.

This only applies to Cambridge though. Other universities are different, notably Warwick, where they will be much less lenient on the A-level requirements.

Might be worth an FOI request though, if you fancy it...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Damn I got:

Maths 297/300
C1: 100
C2: 97
Mechanics: 100

Further maths 274/300
Fp1: 90
Stats: 96
Decision: 88

But only a B in physics! Will I still get offers from the top uni's such as Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Olsmarto
Damn I got:

Maths 297/300
C1: 100
C2: 97
Mechanics: 100

Further maths 274/300
Fp1: 90
Stats: 96
Decision: 88

But only a B in physics! Will I still get offers from the top uni's such as Cambridge?

Posted from TSR Mobile

There's more to getting an offer than AS UMS, but yes you can be competitive with that profile.

The B is a concern, but not necessarily a deal-breaker for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okay guys. 5 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Russian. Also 9A*s and 2As at GCSE, but clearly the AS modules are what are really important.
Maths 284/300
Core 1: 100
Core 2: 87
Stats: 97

Further maths 247/300
Fp1: 94
Decision 1: 68
Decision 2: 85

Clearly they're a mess. I knew D1 was bad but I ran out of time pretty hard so I knew that I'd have to resit. I get extra time in exams but I still can't finish them (dyslexia/dyspraxia, fml)! I was surprised with Core 2. I have no idea why that was so low, I've never gotten below 95% (95+ has been the usual in all my modules) throughout the year but there's no point saying that now. D2 should have been better too, didn't help that I was told by my teacher not to revise a certain bit that then came up.

It's really frustrating to do so badly after putting in so much effort throughout the year! I genuinely don't know what else I could have done!
I've also covered Core 3 and 4 over the summer so I could get a head start for STEP. That's pretty much all I've done during these holidays. 96% and 99% in the two practice C3 papers and 99% in a C4 paper however they're irrelevant to my results above. I don't want all the hours I've spent working to go to waste. Sure I've done way better than practically everyone else in my year (worst AS results my school has ever had apparently) but none of them intend on applying to do maths at Cambridge. It's hard to get advice if all you get is "Well done, you've done amazingly, don't worry it will all be fine etc." Nobody here understands the difficulty of getting in.

I'm not in a private school and maths hasn't been pushed, nor is there any support for anyone wanting to do maths at a top uni. The maths teachers didn't even know what STEP was before I mentioned it to them so all year I've felt like I've been peddling uphill. Individual study is what gave me my grades, just not grades that are of the average standard for Cambridge applicants.
Please be honest. Where am I at with this? How screwed am I? What more can I do to salvage this mess?
Original post by ReputableChav
Okay guys. 5 As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Russian. Also 9A*s and 2As at GCSE, but clearly the AS modules are what are really important.
Maths 284/300

Further maths 247/300

Clearly they're a mess. I knew D1 was bad but I ran out of time pretty hard so I knew that I'd have to resit. I get extra time in exams but I still can't finish them (dyslexia/dyspraxia, fml)! I was surprised with Core 2. I have no idea why that was so low, I've never gotten below 95% (95+ has been the usual in all my modules) throughout the year but there's no point saying that now. D2 should have been better too, didn't help that I was told by my teacher not to revise a certain bit that then came up.

It's really frustrating to do so badly after putting in so much effort throughout the year! I genuinely don't know what else I could have done!
I've also covered Core 3 and 4 over the summer so I could get a head start for STEP. That's pretty much all I've done during these holidays. 96% and 99% in the two practice C3 papers and 99% in a C4 paper however they're irrelevant to my results above. I don't want all the hours I've spent working to go to waste. Sure I've done way better than practically everyone else in my year (worst AS results my school has ever had apparently) but none of them intend on applying to do maths at Cambridge. It's hard to get advice if all you get is "Well done, you've done amazingly, don't worry it will all be fine etc." Nobody here understands the difficulty of getting in.

I'm not in a private school and maths hasn't been pushed, nor is there any support for anyone wanting to do maths at a top uni. The maths teachers didn't even know what STEP was before I mentioned it to them so all year I've felt like I've been peddling uphill. Individual study is what gave me my grades, just not grades that are of the average standard for Cambridge applicants.
Please be honest. Where am I at with this? How screwed am I? What more can I do to salvage this mess?

Your results are fine (at least to get an interview). They won't care about decision, and you can get away with one bad C2 module. Cambridge will take into account the school you go to, and your grades will be looked upon favourably if they are the best in your school.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Your results are fine (at least to get an interview). They won't care about decision, and you can get away with one bad C2 module. Cambridge will take into account the school you go to, and your grades will be looked upon favourably if they are the best in your school.

So when applying will they know that (if the person went to a very underperforming school) the person applying goes to an underperforming school? How do you declare that to them to make them know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DamnDaniel2
So when applying will they know that (if the person went to a very underperforming school) the person applying goes to an underperforming school? How do you declare that to them to make them know that?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to declare anything to let them know your school is underperforming, they work it out automatically by looking at its GCSE results and flagging your application if they are below a certain level. You are also flagged if your school sent fewer than 5 people to Oxbridge in the last 5 years. There is more information about this here. Additionally, if you have the best results in your school, it might be useful to have your teachers mention that on your reference.
Original post by sweeneyrod
You don't have to declare anything to let them know your school is underperforming, they work it out automatically by looking at its GCSE results and flagging your application if they are below a certain level. You are also flagged if your school sent fewer than 5 people to Oxbridge in the last 5 years. There is more information about this here. Additionally, if you have the best results in your school, it might be useful to have your teachers mention that on your reference.

Oh ok! I'm talking about secondary school because I just completed my GCSEs ahaha. I'm on track for getting the best grades the school has ever got so we shall wait and see what I get next week! Don't think I did as well as I could so that's a bummer :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ReputableChav
Maths 284/300

Further maths 247/300

I'm sure if you get an interview you can prove yourself to be the talented mathematician you are !! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,
4As in maths, f.maths, chem and phys
Predicted 4A*S
Maths - 297
c1 - 100
c2 - 100
s1 - 97
F. maths - 241
m1 - 85
d1 - 84
fp1 - 72

I know my further UMS is dire. I honestly cannot explain my fp1 result. How likely am I to get an interview?
Cheers
Original post by MC11V33N
Hi all,
4As in maths, f.maths, chem and phys
Predicted 4A*S
Maths - 297
c1 - 100
c2 - 100
s1 - 97
F. maths - 241
m1 - 85
d1 - 84
fp1 - 72

I know my further UMS is dire. I honestly cannot explain my fp1 result. How likely am I to get an interview?
Cheers

Hahaha same. My FP1 ums is 76

did you take aqa?
Original post by Lulu9green
Hahaha same. My FP1 ums is 76

did you take aqa?

Nah OCR?
Thing is I know i could sit it right now and do better than that. Also got 57 ums (which was also a shock) but the was a year early and a 7th module so less important.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending