The Student Room Group

OCR FSMQ Additional Maths - 20th June 2017

Hey everyone and welcome to the OCR FSMQ Additional Maths Official Exam Thread :smile:
There seems to be quite a few of us on the Year 11 Thread so I thought we deserved a thread especially to discuss the exam. :biggrin:
:party: :party::party:
When entering the thread...
Introduce yourself
Say how you are studying the course (after school, private candidate, in school)
How long you have been studying the course
What your predicted grade is
What your mock grade (if applicable) is
What your favourite part of the syllabus is so far

Good luck for the exam! :goodluck:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'll start :smile:
I'm @Lemur14
I'm studying the course with one hour a week after school (and a fair amount of homework)
We started the course in December in class, but it was moved after school because most the class weren't coping so now only a few of us do it
I believe my predicted grade is a B, although I'm personally hoping for an A, and we've never had any form of assessment on it so I think that was a pluck it from mid air grade lol (in fact, I think it might have even been set before we started the course)
We haven't done a mock yet. I might do myself one in February half term to see how I'm doing.
I love all the syllabus so far tbh. Synthetic division is pretty satisfying, as is trig graphs and many other things. Though my teacher said (after he'd taught us it) than you don't get marks for synthetic division in the exam which seems a little silly lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Sounds good.

I'm studying the course after school.
We have had lessons twice a week since September.
I'm predicted a B as well but we haven't had any mocks or assessments so it definitely was plucked out of mid air (and everyone was predicted a B). I think I'm picking up the material well so I'll personally be aiming for an A but we'll see how my mock goes next week.
Hmm. It's not tested but we learnt how to derive the gradient function. It was really interesting to see and surprisingly simple.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hey! I got through the additional maths last year (in my year 10). I got an A, but only just. If anyone is stuck then feel free to ask. Seriously for this exam, the most important thing is past papers. Knowing the specification isn't enough...
Anyone else taking additional maths this year?
Got my mock back - got an A!
Original post by JammieDodger27
Got my mock back - got an A!

Well done :smile: That's a really great score, particularly at this point!
We haven't been scheduled a mock yet (and knowing my teacher that means we won't get one at all) but he mentioned doing a past paper at parent's evening and my mum hasn't stopped going on about it since! We haven't done significant chunks of the spec so I'm not spending 2 hours trying to do something I haven't been properly prepared for. (She thinks I'm doing one at half term lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile
:bump:
I did a past paper last week. It was a complete disaster :frown: We've almost completed the spec, just a couple of bits not done which I missed out, but apparently although I can do all the maths at the time of teaching, and even after, I'm not very good at remembering it and being able to apply it to exam questions.
I also found a few questions with key words I had never heard of which is a bit of a problem.
Overall I got (I think) 37/100, or if you take out the bits I literally had no clue about 37/67 (55%). That's a D overall, but seeing as I am capable of the actual maths it's very frustrating. I think I might try an open book past paper soon to see how much difference that makes.

How's everyone else going?
I forgot this thread was even a thing :colondollar:.

I haven't been focusing on additional maths at the moment. It's the last of my exams so I think I'll really go for it with revision and past papers once all my other exams are done. I'm still going to lessons though and we are only doing past papers in lessons so I think I'll be prepared once I reach that point. I can't wait for June 20th when its just 2 hours of maths and then a 10 week break. It's gonna be great! It's keeping me motivated.

Any particular topics that you struggled with?
I forgot this thread was even a thing :colondollar:.

I haven't been focusing on additional maths at the moment. It's the last of my exams so I think I'll really go for it with revision and past papers once all my other exams are done. I'm still going to lessons though and we are only doing past papers in lessons so I think I'll be prepared once I reach that point. I can't wait for June 20th when its just 2 hours of maths and then a 10 week break. It's gonna be great! It's keeping me motivated.

Any particular topics that you struggled with?

Just realised I never replied to this :oops:
There wasn't really any particular topic I struggled with, more just key words I didn't know, bits I just didn't have a clue what to do even though I'm capable of the maths if I'm told which method to use, and a few bits of the spec we hadn't covered, which now have been.
Basically I need to do a load of revision I don't have time for :/
Is additional maths your last exam?
Is additional maths your last exam?

Yeah :smile: P2/P3 on the 16th then as maths on the 20th
I have the exact same. This does give you three full days without exams to revise fully for additional maths
I have the exact same. This does give you three full days without exams to revise fully for additional maths

It does indeed :smile: Going to try and do bits and bobs as I go along though, as maths never goes in without practise!
Yeah, there's a lot of past papers for additional maths as well which helps
Yeah, there's a lot of past papers for additional maths as well which helps

Yeah, that's the best thing about it :smile:
The lack of papers for the 9-1 maths is really frustrating me!
Hi there, I am also sitting the exam this summer. Really nervous because all of the preparation I did was on my own since no one else from my school could cope with it. Spent my entire summer after year 10 on studying mainly maths. I'm hoping for an A because I have done 4 mocks till now and have got solid A in all of them except the 2016 paper where i scraped an A.

I think the topic I feel stressed about is kinematics but hoping we don't get any 12 marks on it :biggrin:
Original post by moa.asim
Hi there, I am also sitting the exam this summer. Really nervous because all of the preparation I did was on my own since no one else from my school could cope with it. Spent my entire summer after year 10 on studying mainly maths. I'm hoping for an A because I have done 4 mocks till now and have got solid A in all of them except the 2016 paper where i scraped an A.

I think the topic I feel stressed about is kinematics but hoping we don't get any 12 marks on it :biggrin:

4 mocks and 4 As is a pretty good chance. And if you get a B, yes you'll be disappointed, but it's still a good grade :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
4 mocks and 4 As is a pretty good chance. And if you get a B, yes you'll be disappointed, but it's still a good grade :smile:

Yeah. Hopefully I get an A but won't be too disappointed with a B. My teacher says I should focus more on maths as I should be aiming to get a 9 which will be better for me than getting an A in additional.
Original post by moa.asim
Yeah. Hopefully I get an A but won't be too disappointed with a B. My teacher says I should focus more on maths as I should be aiming to get a 9 which will be better for me than getting an A in additional.

I'm aiming for both lol, but I think a 9 and a B would be better than an 8 and an A tbh, especially considering the fact we've been doing 1 hour a week of additional maths for 1.5 terms, whereas we've been doing 3-4 hours a week of maths for 2 years, plus all the stuff we did before year 10.
What have you been typically scoring in maths mocks?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending