The Student Room Group
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website

Birmingham City University (BCU) applicants + freshers chat thread 2018

Hello :h:

If you're thinking of applying to BCU for 2018 then this is the thread for you!

Let us know what you're thinking, meet other applicants and ask us any questions you might have - we're here to help. :hi:

To start things off, why not let us know the following...

What course would you like to apply for?

What are you most looking forward to about uni?

What are you most nervous about?

Are you coming to an Open Day?

Good luck with those applications!! :goodluck:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

What course would you like to apply for? - Criminology Policing and investigation.
What are you most looking forward to about uni? - To meet the teachers, check the facilities and finally build my career through BCU!
What are you most nervous about? -Not being able to reach the target or UCAS points. What kind of offer will I receive conditional or non- conditional. I really want to study at BCU.
Are you coming to an Open Day? yes, I am coming to one in October.
:smile:
If you don't mind can you explain how people get conditional or non- conditional offers. I know some people who received non-conditional offers but do not know how.
North Campus, Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by Beautystyle12
What course would you like to apply for? - Criminology Policing and investigation.
What are you most looking forward to about uni? - To meet the teachers, check the facilities and finally build my career through BCU!
What are you most nervous about? -Not being able to reach the target or UCAS points. What kind of offer will I receive conditional or non- conditional. I really want to study at BCU.
Are you coming to an Open Day? yes, I am coming to one in October.
:smile:
If you don't mind can you explain how people get conditional or non- conditional offers. I know some people who received non-conditional offers but do not know how.

Hey Beautystyle12!

That's a great course, you'd love studying that here!

Unconditional offers can be given if the tutor either thinks you wont have a problem meeting the requirements or sees something in your application that makes them give you an offer not depending on the outcome of your final grades. But it doesn't always mean your application isn't as strong if you receive a conditional offer, it might also depend on the course or number of people applying and the competition so try not to worry about that too much and just do your best! :smile: If you do have more questions about it you could speak to our admissions team at [email protected].

We look forward to meeting you at the Open Day! Are you local to Birmingham or traveling from elsewhere?

Lydia
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hey Beautystyle12!

That's a great course, you'd love studying that here!

Unconditional offers can be given if the tutor either thinks you wont have a problem meeting the requirements or sees something in your application that makes them give you an offer not depending on the outcome of your final grades. But it doesn't always mean your application isn't as strong if you receive a conditional offer, it might also depend on the course or number of people applying and the competition so try not to worry about that too much and just do your best! :smile: If you do have more questions about it you could speak to our admissions team at [email protected].

We look forward to meeting you at the Open Day! Are you local to Birmingham or traveling from elsewhere?

Lydia

I am local. Only one bus needed to take to reach BCU. I am just rally scared about my ucas points.
Also, if I don't reach the requirements what will happen?
I may be considering doing an access course to higher education- science in a college after my A-Levels. Does BCU accept that?
Does BCU accept Btec for this course?:smile:
Original post by Beautystyle12
I am local. Only one bus needed to take to reach BCU. I am just rally scared about my ucas points.
Also, if I don't reach the requirements what will happen?
I may be considering doing an access course to higher education- science in a college after my A-Levels. Does BCU accept that?
Does BCU accept Btec for this course?:smile:

That's easy then! So would you be living at home if you studied here or moving into halls?

If you did receive a conditional offer, you would have to meet those requirements, so hopefully you would. The typical offer for your course is 112 UCAS points and yes we accept BTEC, so that's D*D*, or your BTEC result combined with other level 3 qualifications, as long as it adds up to a total of 112. So if you're really worried you might not reach those grades, it's worth doing additional things like extended project etc to build up your UCAS points.
We have more information on what qualifications and equivalents you'd need on the 'entry requirements' tab of the course page here. Or if you're still unsure our course enquiries team would be happy to advise you about access to higher ed courses as well, you can call them on 0121 331 5595.

Lydia
i wanted to apply for radiograpahy and was wondering if i could apply with a foundation diploma in applied science ,AS grade b in r.s and a B grade in sociology and an e in a level biology
i was also wondering about the enter test for radiography and what they are like
Original post by pringles321
i wanted to apply for radiograpahy and was wondering if i could apply with a foundation diploma in applied science ,AS grade b in r.s and a B grade in sociology and an e in a level biology

Hi!

Your level 3 qualifications would have to add up to 120 UCAS points, but only counting a maximum of 3 A/A2 Levels or equivalent. They also must include one science subject from Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology and Applied Science. Sociology is only accepted if you also have one of the former.

You can use this UCAS tariff calculator to work out what that gives you: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

There's also more details on the requirements and application process on the course page here.

If you're still unsure about your qualifications it's worth speaking to our course enquiries team, you can call our advisers on 0121 331 5595 who'd be happy to talk it through with you.

Thanks!
Lydia
Hi!

Your level 3 qualifications would have to add up to 120 UCAS points, but only counting a maximum of 3 A/A2 Levels or equivalent. They also must include one science subject from Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Human Biology and Applied Science. Sociology is only accepted if you also have one of the former.

You can use this UCAS tariff calculator to work out what that gives you: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator

There's also more details on the requirements and application process on the course page here.

If you're still unsure about your qualifications it's worth speaking to our course enquiries team, you can call our advisers on 0121 331 5595 who'd be happy to talk it through with you.

Thanks!
Lydia

my btec is equal to 84 point plus my alevel sociology (40) point and my as grade at 16 point .all which add up to 140 can i 12o ucas be made like this
Just thought I'd add this: As a first year student I would encourage anyone thinking of BCU to just apply. It's the best decision I've made :smile:
Reply 10
Hi, I want to apply for the Environmental Science degree and I'm doing chemistry and physics at a level and a subsidiary btec in media. What are my chances of getting an offer, as when I used the offer calculator I kept getting 'unlikely' or 'further consideration ' and I can't help but feel that this is due to the btec. Many thanks
Reply 11
Anyone got an offer for computer science yet?
Original post by tuquid
Hi, I want to apply for the Environmental Science degree and I'm doing chemistry and physics at a level and a subsidiary btec in media. What are my chances of getting an offer, as when I used the offer calculator I kept getting 'unlikely' or 'further consideration ' and I can't help but feel that this is due to the btec. Many thanks

Hey tuquid,

I'd recommend speaking to our course enquiries team who will be able to confirm if your qualifications could be considered for the course. You can give our advisers a call on 0121 331 5595 and they'd be happy to talk it through with you! :h:
Is the psychology, criminology course popular? How likely am i if i were to apply to BCU to get an unconditional offer for that course?
Original post by 1_Zainn_
Is the psychology, criminology course popular? How likely am i if i were to apply to BCU to get an unconditional offer for that course?

Hi Zainn, our criminology department is very popular yes but it's hard to say how likely it would to get a place or not. if you'd like to know you could contact our admissions department to find out how many people usually apply and how many places there are? You can email them at [email protected]

Hope that helps!
Thanks,
Lydia
Hi!

What course would you like to apply for? I am applying for the BSc (Hons) Physical Education and School Sport

What are you most looking forward to about uni? Studying the courses that I like and meeting people of my own age doing the same course.

Does this course accept Level 3 Subsidiary BTECs?

Thanks!
Original post by rebecca.wright
Hi!

What course would you like to apply for? I am applying for the BSc (Hons) Physical Education and School Sport

What are you most looking forward to about uni? Studying the courses that I like and meeting people of my own age doing the same course.

Does this course accept Level 3 Subsidiary BTECs?

Thanks!

Hey Rebecca,

Glad you're looking forwarding to starting uni and meeting new people! :biggrin:

Are you local to Birmingham or would you be moving here if you studied with us?

If you check on the 'entry requirements' tab of the course page, you'll find details on the Level 3 qualifications required for the course: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/physical-education-and-school-sport-2018-19, but I suggest double checking with our course enquiries team about Subsidiary BTEC's, you can either give our advisers a call on 0121 331 5595 or complete an online enquiry form and somebody will get back to you.

Thanks!
Lydia
Hey Rebecca,

Glad you're looking forwarding to starting uni and meeting new people! :biggrin:

Are you local to Birmingham or would you be moving here if you studied with us?

If you check on the 'entry requirements' tab of the course page, you'll find details on the Level 3 qualifications required for the course: http://www.bcu.ac.uk/courses/physical-education-and-school-sport-2018-19, but I suggest double checking with our course enquiries team about Subsidiary BTEC's, you can either give our advisers a call on 0121 331 5595 or complete an online enquiry form and somebody will get back to you.

Thanks!
Lydia

Hi Lydia!

Thanks for your advice!

I’m not local to Birmingham, but would get a 40 minute train each day i would be studying. So it’s not that far!

Rebecca
Original post by bethlewx
I've sent off my application for media and communication at BCU but I'm anxious
about when i'll hear back and if I need to have an interview

Hi bethlewx,

No need to be anxious, it can take a while for your application to be processed but if it helps put you at ease you could chase it up with our admissions team. Try email [email protected] or call 0121 331 6296 and they might be able to update you or confirm that you'll hear soon.

They'll also be able to explain the application process in more detail and confirm whether you'd need an interview or not.

Hope this helps!
Thanks,
Lydia
Reply 19
hi i have applied for diagnostic radiography with a btec qualification in applied science
what would placements be like and what hospitals would they cover / what region

Quick Reply

Latest