The Student Room Group

Would you fly on a 'super-jumbo' jet?

What do you think of the new "super-jumbo" jet?

The new 555-seat aircraft will take to the skies with passengers for the first time on Wednesday.

Production of the A380 has been delayed because of technical problems and Airbus is having to pay millions in compensation to carriers still waiting for deliveries.

Thousands of British jobs depend on the success of the project.

What impact will the A380 have on the aviation industry? Would you like to fly on the world's biggest passenger aircraft? What do you think about the problems that have hit the project?

Scroll to see replies

Am I excited?

errr no.

I think it's a good thing for the aviation industry though - with all that extra space they might even put half decent loos on planes...
Reply 2
Unless the world's biggest aircraft can offer something to the passenger aside from the novelty value of having traveled on it, I wouldn't go out of my way to travel on it over any other plane.

Also, I would probably want to wait and make sure the "technical problems" were completely solved before booking tickets on it. I wouldn't put it past them to rush out a plane whose technical problems were only partially fixed, so as to not lose more money to compensation costs and delays.
Reply 3
Yes, I would love to fly on one :biggrin: But, that's mainly because I'm an aviation geek who's studying aeronautical engineering at uni and have been following the A380 development quite closely.

This plane will be the most advanced passenger jet taking to the skies as well as one of the quietest (which I can vouch for, having stood about 100m away from it at the farnborough airshow when it put full throttle on for takeoff!) and most fuel efficient. And if you can afford first class, the airlines have promised it'll be very, very nice!

As for the impact of all the delays - Airbus really screwed up on this one and it very nearly killed them. Once the aircraft is in regular service (ie: 2009/2010), I reckon there will be more new orders coming in once airlines see it is a good bird. However, it does say something that only one airline has ordered the new stretched Jumbo... airlines are holding back for the A380 to see how it performs and to see if they need a superjumbo, rather than ordering what is essentially a 40 year old design.

Ink
Also, I would probably want to wait and make sure the "technical problems" were completely solved before booking tickets on it. I wouldn't put it past them to rush out a plane whose technical problems were only partially fixed, so as to not lose more money to compensation costs and delays.

Technical problems should be almost nonexistant, otherwise the plane would have never been certified to fly. The A380 will have flown well over 2000 hours (probably closer to 2500) before it enters service, and each individual aircraft gets a 3 - 5 hour testflight before delivery to make sure everything's working fine.

Airbus have already completed rewiring one plane for Singapore (first customer) - all it needs is a paint job and the interior fitted. They've allowed themselves a very conservative 9 months for this.

In this litigious world we live in, Airbus (or Boeing for that matter) can't afford to deliver a plane which will be unreliable

Edit:

Sorry for the long post :eek:
Reply 4
Well it's just another plane. A novelty once, and after that I probably wouldn't care. I guess if it carries more people and isn't doing that much more harm to the environment than other planes then it will be a benefit.
Yeah it'd be quite fun the first time then it'd just be like any other plane.
Reply 6
PQ
Am I excited?

errr no.

I think it's a good thing for the aviation industry though - with all that extra space they might even put half decent loos on planes...

Yes! Please can they have decent loos!!!! I hate plane loos and haven't used one for years, I especially hate the BA ones after I nearly got trapped in there when I was 9. I was only little and I couldn't open the door! Eventually got it open and have refused to use them since.
Reply 7
PQ
... with all that extra space they might even put half decent loos on planes...

Not sure what the actual lavs are like, but they are the fastest ever used - sucking your waste through the aircraft at over 100km/h :biggrin:
Reply 8
GerardT
Well it's just another plane. A novelty once, and after that I probably wouldn't care. I guess if it carries more people and isn't doing that much more harm to the environment than other planes then it will be a benefit.

Actually it will be better for the environment than other planes due to the amount of carbon released per passenger being so much less. :biggrin:
Reply 9
It seems an interesting development. Good for the UK, EU and plane travel in general.

But I still believe that land transport can dominate over air travel if marketed correctly
Reply 10
The bad thing is the amount of fuel that plane uses is unbelievable :s-smilie:
As long as it gets me from A to B pretty painlessly i don't care too much.
Reply 12
Noxid
But I still believe that land transport can dominate over air travel if marketed correctly

I'm interested in hearing more about your views on this. In my opinion, no matter how much marketing you can do, a lot of people would still prefer to spend 8 hours getting to America rather than over week (by boat)

vector
The bad thing is the amount of fuel that plane uses is unbelievable

On a flight yesterday, the A380 burnt an average of 10 tonnes of fuel per hour - this was with a relatively light load. However, in comparison to other aircraft carrying the same load (eg, scaling a 747 or 737 up), it's a very fuel efficient aircraft.

Roll on alternative fuels :biggrin:
Problems Schmoblems, if it passes its safety tests and whatnots, which I'm guessing it has to to fly, then ofcourse I would. Not that I fly much at all really :s:
Reply 14
SilverWings
Problems Schmoblems, if it passes its safety tests and whatnots, which I'm guessing it has to to fly, then ofcourse I would. Not that I fly much at all really :s:

Already passed :biggrin: The A380 has its Certificate Of Airworthiness from both the European and American Aviation Authorities, meaning it meets all the current safety standards - it is also the only aircraft to meet every single standard, since many new ones have been introduced since the last new aircraft was certified (the 777, I believe)

Also, the airlines can, if they want, put up to 853 people on this aircraft :eek: Most however are putting between 450 and 550 on.
thomasp
Already passed :biggrin: The A380 has its Certificate Of Airworthiness from both the European and American Aviation Authorities, meaning it meets all the current safety standards - it is also the only aircraft to meet every single standard, since many new ones have been introduced since the last new aircraft was certified (the 777, I believe)

Also, the airlines can, if they want, put up to 853 people on this aircraft :eek: Most however are putting between 450 and 550 on.

Well then it must be safe, eh??

I don't see why people would have any reservations but then again I might just be being naive
Yes same as I did for concord tho I think after the first time the novelty will wear off prity quick
:rolleyes:
Reply 17
Before global warming and the environment became fashionable. I used to care about it. Now I'm disillusioned by how fashionable it has become to care. So i wouldn't mind. Has long as the price falls down. Oh and there is a doctor on board. I heard that a doctor is needed because one in a thousand passenger will have a medical problem in air. That is 50/50 with these big planes. I can't risk it being me.
What an odd question. I book a flight based on if it's going where I want to go, from where I want to go, and also based on the price.

I don't think it being a huge plane will be the decider..

There can't be that many aviation enthusiasts about, can there?
Reply 19
dogtanian
There can't be that many aviation enthusiasts about, can there?

You'd be surprised. Very surprised :wink:

If I had a choice of flying on a 747 or A380, at more or less the same time for the same price, I'd go for the A380. Also, I think the A380 might cruise a few mph faster than the Jumbo - not sure on that one though.

Latest

Trending

Trending