The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
minimo
yeas i knooow her she does my suvject i thnk and she wrote scandalous rouemours but who gives a hit she ****ed my mate and ewas shutttt,.

Oh, you're going to have a glorious hangover tomorrow :wink:
Reply 2
minimo
oj raed tge srucle maybe it wast the girlw ho gave my nate ab blowjob she just write s gossup sorry.

Beg Pardon?
Best not to discuss it, everything just ends up being misinterpreted in the media.
There is a lot of discussion over this, especially amongst Clare students, however things really re up in the air at the moment. This is a public forum after all; needless to say it is being properly dealt with.
Reply 5
One of the big issues about it was that only Islam was ridiculed in the article. I don't think there would have been so much uproar if Christianity was joked about as well. All the fuss seems to have died down a bit now though, but it has tainted Clare's reputation a little, although I'm sure it will soon be forgotten.
Ooooooh, fancy being the new John's? It's great being the hated college, honest!
helenkr
One of the big issues about it was that only Islam was ridiculed in the article. I don't think there would have been so much uproar if Christianity was joked about as well. All the fuss seems to have died down a bit now though, but it has tainted Clare's reputation a little, although I'm sure it will soon be forgotten.

The newspapers have not reported the whole story. There are several details that they have not reported, and the case isn't as cut and dried as they make out.
Reply 8
i haven't read the newspaper reports, just the original article. And it only made fun of Islam, which is why I think that there was such an uproar.
Reply 9
FadeToBlackout
The newspapers have not reported the whole story. There are several details that they have not reported, and the case isn't as cut and dried as they make out.

That's why I was asking :smile:. The national press never get the full story, often not even varsity/tcs do, alas I'm not in Cam anymore so I can't just pop down to cellars and find out the real story!

Seems a shame for College to cut funding to Clareification entirely if that bit is true. It's not like one guest edited issue is representative of the entire publication, although their editorial process might need to be reviewed.

A.
Reply 10
Well, there's been a bit of fuss internally about Katie-Lin-O'Scopes being dropped, but to be honest that's nothing by comparison with this. I don't have the full picture either as I didn't get a copy of it, but I'm sure it's not quite how they make it out.
I had a look at a copy. ****ing funny stuff.

MB
FadeToBlackout
There is a lot of discussion over this, especially amongst Clare students, however things really re up in the air at the moment. This is a public forum after all; needless to say it is being properly dealt with.

Watch out for the Muslim fundies ! :biggrin:
Reply 13
Is clare college trying to insinuate that this 'Clareification' isn't a free press? Surely a guy is entitled to his opinions right?
Tonheuru
Is clare college trying to insinuate that this 'Clareification' isn't a free press? Surely a guy is entitled to his opinions right?

Yes, he is entitled to his opinions according to the law.

No, he is not allowed to spread them if they can be seen as inciting religious hatred.

(Not that they're his actual opinions anyway, as far as I know)
Reply 15
Tonheuru

Yes and no, regardless of legality, one of the things you agree to do when matriculating is to not bring the College's reputation into disrepute. If it's decided that he has done this then he could be in trouble with College authorities, but I never heard of anyone brought up on it during my time there.

A.
Oi, Proctor Geezer, your college is for gayboys, kna wot 'm sayin'?

Excuse me, young fellow?

Batty boys, G!

My Lord, are you disrespecting me?

Nawww, dawg, I'm dissin' ya college, right?

Good Christ, disrepute! Summon the relevant committee and get me a list of all those blasted homosexual gays right now
Reply 17
I haven't read the article, but it all seems to be blown completely out of proportion. If (as has been suggested?) the article concentrated on mocking Islam when it purpoted to be satire against religion in general, then I can see why muslims (I initally typed Islams there... what a prat) would have cause to be upset. On the other hand, if the paper reprinted the cartoons as part of a more general mocking of religion then I don't see the issue.

This is even less significant than the initial printing of the cartoons, because the Danish newspaper had a large circulation and was read in more than one country. Clareification is, by and large, only read within Cambridge, and then mainly within Clare College. With a global publication we need to respect global cultures, some of whom hold religious sanctity to be more important than freedom of speech. However, a muslim living in Britain must accept that in Britain freedom of speech is our most sacred value. I hardly think that an obviously light-hearted article in a college newspaper can be said to be inciting religious hatred. Christ.

If you hold strong views on a subject (like religion) then you're essentially putting yourself out there to be ridiculed by people who don't share that view. Deal with it.
Reply 18
I can't claim to have read the article, but I think any Religion should be prepared for scrutiny or academic criticism, should a valid point arise. However making fun is a little more serious, but all the same, in a very very very casual sense, maybe Islam needs to 'lighten up'. As already stated, Christianity suffers criticism and 'jokes frequently, but good heavens, should it happen to Islam then there is uproar. However, don't get me wrong, if it was blatantly offensive then of course, that's out of line. BUT i think non-muslims depicting the muslim prophets in pictures should very much be allowed. It may be outlawed to epople of that religion and those is Muslim countries, but outsides should have the right to use visual aids in their publications without having their offices bombarded and attacked. Doesn't give a good image to Muslims does it. And that's quite radical for me lol, as I'm pretty pro-muslim and indeed quite defensive of them normally. Dunno what's come over me. As I said though, if it was blatantly offensive then of course that's wrong.
did any of you see the debate at the union yesturday? - This house believes that islam is incompatible with western liberalism

was a good debate i thought, although i expected the vote to be significantly more even...