The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You will be very very lucky if you pass in that time, especialy at 17, and if you do will sadly most likely crash soon after.
Reply 2
I doubt that would be a long enough time, not impossible though. How many lessons would you be having a week? I've just had my 30th lesson and I'm about to take my test. The DSA say that on average it takes 40 lessons.
Reply 3
Lmao, That doesn't sound too promising. How long would you reccomend I had lessons for? (I realise it's different for everyone but I'm just wondering on average)
it depends on the person-i've been learning on and off for over a year with 2 instructors and the first one was rubbish and i realised too late and also i'm that much of a confident person-like with self belief and esteem, but i am getting there with my new instructor and feel like i will take a test this year.
Reply 5
Well it would be the 6 week holidays so I could have more than one lesson per week, I hope anyway.
Reply 6
It really is different for everyone.

It took me about 8 months I believe, I had quite a few lessons though as my instructor was a friend of my dads and lived in the same street.
Reply 7
8 months? Hmm, OK, Maybe I'll aim to pass it by Christmas rather than September then. =P
Reply 8
Thanx for all the advice everyone. =)
Reply 9
i took about 8 months. i think i could've done it quicker though, if i'd taken more lessons when i was on holiday from uni over the summer. also helps a lot if you have access to a car to get private practise outwith lessons. even if all you do is drive around a wee bit and don't practice manouvres, any extra experience on the road is a good thing!
Reply 10
Theres plenty of free space near where I live and my mother said she doesn't mind taking me so hopefully I can do quite a bit of practicing between my lessons.
Reply 11
Its possible but unlikely.

However if you start learning 2 lessons a week and plenty of practice you could easily aim to pass before christmas. I would say passing for the school start is just not quite enough time even for a very quick learner, add on lessons through to october and it looks like a more obtainable goal.

good luck :smile:
Reply 12
When's your b-day, at the beginning or end of July? I know some people who managed to pass within 6-8 weeks of starting lessons, I think it really depends on how many lessons you have a week. If you can afford it, which is a problem as they are pretty expensive, if you can have say, 6-8 hours a week of lessons, and manage to get some private practice in as well, I should think 2 months would be long enough to get to test standard. All depends on how fast you personally pick it up. Good luck!
Reply 13
My mate took a test on his 17th birthday and passed.
Reply 14
AT82
You will be very very lucky if you pass in that time, especialy at 17, and if you do will sadly most likely crash soon after.

:rofl:

Not true atall, I passed in about 8 weeks first time and haven't had a problem in over 12 months of driving now.
Reply 15
Statistics show the more lessons you have the less likely you are to crash :smile:.
Reply 16
Lol Average is 40hours? Jeeez..I had 6hours..pretty much everyone I know had less then 16
Reply 17
At the end of the day, you could pass your test that quickly but not have experienced a lot of things (like morons who think it's funny to cut people up at all opportunities), and you probably won't have had enough time to build up your reaction times. Somebody who learnt to drive on a farm and then had 12 lessons sort of thing has a lot less learning to do then somebody who has to learn what a clutch is.
Reply 18
heninacoop
Somebody who learnt to drive on a farm and then had 12 lessons sort of thing has a lot less learning to do then somebody who has to learn what a clutch is.

you serious?
Reply 19
AT82
Statistics show the more lessons you have the less likely you are to crash :smile:.

link?

Latest