The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Don't worry about it seriously, it didn't go great for us lot, doesn't mean you'll be the same. Just do your best, if you fail so what, so many fail first time (includin myself) and I'm already over it even though it was only this mornin. Like my instructor told me, you don't have control over what other people do, it's not like the exams were all used to where you have to sit there and cram **** loads of info into your head, this is just what happens on the day. Just do what you can, have faith in yourself, and if you don't pass it's really not a huge deal. My mate failed first time, got a cancellation and re-took it and passed two weeks later, plus if you do fail you'll know what to expect next time. Good luck and don't panic!! Believe me i am the worlds worst stresser and I really am ok about it now x
Reply 781
randdom
I have my test tommorrow and reading this thread has terrified me :frown: i haven't taken a driving test before an i genuinely think sitting here now that I have completely forgotten how to drive there are so many things that I can't remember. I think I want to cry.

Failing first time is fine, I have my fourth test on Tuesday. I'm not even scared anymore, just angry because it seems such a pointless waste of time and money taking it again because I'm really not going to pass. Oh well. Good luck to you though!
Reply 782
I have my third test later on today and i feel really nervous this time, anyone got any ideas what i can do to calm myself down a little?
Reply 783
I failed :frown: was pretty sure that i would i got 10 minors and 3 majors ah well always next time.
Reply 784
Failed my third test today:mad: clipped a ********** wheelin bin withe the passenger wing mirror when pulling in to stop. Caused 1 major 20 minutes into the test and got 6 minors too. I also had the same examiner as the first time which i didnt like at all, i think this put me totally on edge :frown: I've now booked for another test centre as the wait there is only 3 weeks compared to the 6 at my own :mad: :mad: :mad:
Reply 785
^ You sound like me!!! I failed 3 times as well so I know how you're feeling - I found the more I failed the more upset I got. On my fourth I took Kalms for my nerves I doubt they really calmed me down but I passed on that time!! Just don't give up because once you pass it will be so worth it! Good luck on your next test!!!
Reply 786
*malteser*
^ You sound like me!!! I failed 3 times as well so I know how you're feeling - I found the more I failed the more upset I got. On my fourth I took Kalms for my nerves I doubt they really calmed me down but I passed on that time!! Just don't give up because once you pass it will be so worth it! Good luck on your next test!!!

ive got Kalms too. i took 2 before my presentation today and that went great. im gonna take some before my test tomoz too.
wish me luck :biggrin:
^ Take it you mean driving test, but good luck either way =D
Let us know how it goes.
Reply 788
just picked up my second fail today, waiting in a yellow box junction thing to turn left, great. Then to cap it off i ballsed up a parallel park and got anothr major. Two majors, no minors, lol so i must have driven alright, apart from the big 2 which were both pretty near the end of the test.
If at first u dont suceed. . .

give up and get a taxi everywhere? Learn to run really fast? i just dont know anymore.
Reply 789
ElementWhat
^ Take it you mean driving test, but good luck either way =D
Let us know how it goes.

i passed :biggrin: 2nd time. 14 minors lol

so everyone - dont give up, youll get there in the end
Reply 790
How long is the waitin list at everyones test centres? Bloody 2 months at mine x
Reply 791
em165
How long is the waitin list at everyones test centres? Bloody 2 months at mine x

my 2nd test was 3 weeks later. normally its 6 weeks at grimsby :smile:
Reply 792
I failed my first test. The examiner tried making me do a reverse lefty, but a white van came and parked there. SO we went to the next junction, and there was a speed bump right near the junction, so as I reversed, I went onto the speedbump (and subsequently onto the curb), then drove on the curb for about 2 feet. then bonked off of it. major. boohoo.
2 minors 1 major.
gutted.

:smile: passed 6 weeks later (bloody waiting lists!!)
theres a bloody 4 MONTH waiting list at my test centre so count yourselves lucky!
I'm so fed up of driving lessons and tests it's driving me crazy. I've failed twice now and I'm really losing the will to live where driving is concerned! I've had such fussy examiners. Ok, so first time, I happened to mount the kerb 'cos I was trying to steer as much as possible around this mini roundabout where there were roadworks too - grrr. And for not looking left over my shoulder doing a turn in the road, which I'm sure I must've done! And I was more concerned with the car waiting on my right anyway....

Then second time, he gave me a major for approach speed. Only had 3 minors. I dont get it though. A taxi was waiting to come out of this narrow awkward junction, so I stopped the car, went into first and THEN went around...it's not like I caused any harm or anything - grrrr! I thought he'd failed me for clipping the kerb, which was hardly my fault, horrible junction on a hill in a nightmare of a place by me.

I think these examiners are so strict and harsh, they completely overlook the fact that a lot of drivers will clip the kerb occasionally - it can't be avoided! They expect you to be so damn perfect and it drives me nuts. 40 minutes in a car with someone is not a very accurate representation of their driving ability! Your instructor is the only one who knows whether you can really drive to be honest. A lot of people pass by fluke.
Reply 795
Hi All,

I have read this thread all the way through and sympathise with everyone; failing your driving test is one of the worst feelings ever - I failed three times and finally passed this morning on my 4th attempt. I wasn't sure what I was going to do if I didn't pass, as my theory runs out in 3 days and I don't think I could have afforded to go on. (passed with 5 minors)

Anyway, I have a few comments (please note I am not saying all these are true, these are personally what I have found from my driving experience, and I hope they help someone):

1) It really can be up to the luck of the day. On my second test this man ran out onto a zebra crossing about half a second before I came up to it and the examiner had to use the dual controls. You can be a superb driver and encounter a situation you have never encountered before. Think of it as a learning curve, you'd rather the situation happened on your test where someone has dual controls than in the 'real world' when something terrible could happen.

2) Some examiners really are mean/harsh. The one that passed me today was exceptionally chatty/friendly and kind, whereas the one on my second test was stiff, uptight and rude. And I think it made a huge difference. A lot of the time people blame the examiner for their own errors, BUT occasionally it can be their fault.

3) Test marking is NOT objective. This is one of the key things I've found about tests; on one test you may fail for hitting the curb, on another you may not. It's like exam scripts; examining a driver can never be a wholly formulaic activity.

4) Saying that, you can improve your chances by adequate preparation. On my 1st and 3nd tests I thought I was a pretty good driver; now I cannot believe I even considered putting in for my test back then.

5) This may seem an obvious thing, but don't forget to concentrate fully. Forty minutes is a long time and your mind can easily wander. Make sure you are well rested and are not thirsty/hungry.

6) The driving test I passed on was booked right in the middle of my second year University exams. I think this helped IMMENSELY. I wasn't too bothered if I passed or not as I had bigger fish to fry. Try not to set a date that is void of any activity apart from driving. If you do it is easier to get more nervous.

7) To the two people who get the shaking leg thing, I couldn't help but smile when I read that. I get PRECISELY that and I thought it was just me. It's the weirdest feeling ever, seeing your thigh go up and down when you have no control over it. My examiner saw this and said not to worry, and that I should calm down.

8) In relation to the subjective marking thing, this can be a bad thing, but it can also be a good thing. In the test I passed, my left hand reverse was ATROCIOUS. Engine revved the entire time, I ended up a metre and a half from the kerb. Took me ages to put right and I was panicking the entire time, was convinced I'd failed but I only got a minor. If I'd given up then, though, I think I'd have lost my concentration and got other faults.

Hope these helps; good luck to everyone taking their tests soon. You WILL pass at some stage; it really is just a matter of time. I know it's annoying being a learner when you can actually drive, but the driving test is just a means to an end, and at some point you will be able to drive legally.

Best of luck!
ChariK

6) The driving test I passed on was booked right in the middle of my second year University exams. I think this helped IMMENSELY. I wasn't too bothered if I passed or not as I had bigger fish to fry. Try not to set a date that is void of any activity apart from driving. If you do it is easier to get more nervous.

Great post and thanks for your advice.
Not too sure I agree with number 6 though, I've booked my test for the end of my Uni exams and it's had the opposite effect as I've been sitting in exams stressing over how I'll perform in my test, thoughts constantly running through my head of when the apply acceleration after I put the handbrake down, how fast to bring up the clutch and so on. Has been driving me crazy ...
ElementWhat
Great post and thanks for your advice.
Not too sure I agree with number 6 though, I've booked my test for the end of my Uni exams and it's had the opposite effect as I've been sitting in exams stressing over how I'll perform in my test, thoughts constantly running through my head of when the apply acceleration after I put the handbrake down, how fast to bring up the clutch and so on. Has been driving me crazy ...

Yeah I took my last test a week ago and I have exams this week...on the positive side I didn't get too nervous about it as the day before I threw myself into some work. On the negative side, because I failed I felt a bit rubbish for that whole day (and the next) so I guess my revision suffered there. Generally though, I do seem to drive better when I'm otherwise busy (I had lessons throughout my A-levels which were fine, but after that when I'd basically spend most days lounging around and most nights out my driving was awful). It helps to be busy during the time of your test/driving lessons so that you don't go into them unable to concentrate.
Its my first test 2morro, totaly nervous, aaggghhhhh. Im jus finkin... if i fail. wot will it b on??? Gotta b the speed or stupid paralel park!! lol ooooo well, wish me luck :frown:
^ Best of luck! .. just show 'em what you learnt.
Worst that can happen is you fail, and then it's only a 2 week wait.

Latest

Trending

Trending