The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

I'm changing my mind about Bristol

This is a really serious post and I will appreciate helpful answers.

ok i havent made my decision on ucas yet but i was thinking i would choose Bristol (AAB) as my firm and Warwick (ABB) as my insurance. But a lot of things are starting to make me think that i should choose Warwick. its a long post please bare with me.

first of all i dont know anyone thet lives in Bristol or is going to the uni. Dont get me wrong i like meeting new people and frankly i wanna get away from London.

secondly the admissions people are driving me crazy. when they gave me my offer they classed me as an overseas student. in february i called them and i finally after a lot of calls i got to speak to someone and told them about it and the woman said that the person responsible for it was gonna send me an email about it. well by April i had received no kind of correspondence from anyone from Bristol. i called them and the woman sent me a form, which i filled and sent back with all the necessary info. at the time my deadline for ucas was 5th june but warwick changed my fee status so it became 5th of july. but before that i emailed the woman and told her that i need my status changed bfore the deadline so i could make my choice. the woman finally emailed back after more than a week and said that it says im a home student on their pc and she'll send a letter to confirm it. and up till now i havent received any letter and my ucas still hasnt changed and their is no way that im accepting bristol while it still says overseas student.

which brings me to the last problem. im scared that bristol is a racist place. what with the racist fights that used to happen how many years ago, the girl off shipwrecked thats going there this year that says she dont like black people, and Emily off BB saying that the people she knows using the 'n' word. now if i knew anyone that was coming to this uni i would be alright coming here but coming to a uni/city where racist people are gonna be in and where i think people might be racist is not the best decision.

i have been to an open day that was completely flooded with white middle class people who were very nice people, please dont get me wrong, i talked with loads of people there. but it seems like the sensible option is to go to warwick which is almost as good as bristol, wants lesser grades and i have friends that are going there and plus is near to london. i dont wanna get abused or attacked just because of the colour of my skin :eek: :frown:

i am the kinda person that hangs out with everyone, my best friend is white, i have friends from arabic states, europe, asia,america, africa. so im not the kinda person that hangs out with only the people from my country. its all about peace and love :biggrin:

ok this is an essay now, please tell me what you think thank you for reading

xx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Firstly it's just a little narrow minded to claim Bristol is a racist place, people make a place, and a minority will always try and ruin a majority. Stupid comments from 2 gobby mouthed people shouldn't in any way influence your decision.

If your comparing Bristol and Warwick I'd urge you to think about what you want, Warwick from my trip is a very secluded and quiet campus, with quite a large distance to Coventry, the nearest big city. Bristol is busy, vibrant and (if you can't guess from my positivity) the place where I am hoping to go.

Oh, and admissions, can't live with them or without them in my experience. I had issues with my application as well, Cardiff took 3 months to sort it out... Keep emailing, they will eventually sort it all out!

P.s. What are you hoping to study?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
If you think a 'place' is racist (hmm) because of the opinions of two ditzes (is that the right plural?!), you need to think about how you perceive the world. I've never seen anything approaching racism here.

Regarding Warwick, you WILL receive some strong anti-Warwick sentiments when some of the other 'regulars' get here. Distance wise to London, its about the same as Bristol, so no worries there. Furthermore, you have to live in Coventry (lol) in your second and third years. Personally, I'd rather live in vibrant Bristol....

I knew very few people coming here; university is about making new friendships, not sticking to your old ones. I would certainly never choose a uni because friends were going there! If I had, I'd be in Leeds now...

Finally, what IS the overseas sitation? Where are you from?
I really don't see how you can be concerned about racism in Bristol when you come from London-there's been a wealth of instances of racists attacks in the capital, but I'm sure you don't think of it as a 'racist' place. Everywhere is going to have racism, but the majority of people are normal and openminded.

To be honest, only you can make this decision - you should just go with your instincts and what feels right. If you have reservations about Bristol and think you'd be happier at Warwick then go for the latter.

Best of luck whichever way you choose!
Reply 4
Haha Im sorry but Bristol can't be anymore racist than other cities. I am of mixed race and I could not care less about these narrow minded people. I am sure there are lots of really nice, genuine people there! Comments like this make me wonder how certain people get offers. You can't judge a place solely on an open day and on two idiots off tv!!! Of course your situation regarding your status is serious but if it is all sorted now then put it behind you. Administrative errors occur so deal with it.
Reply 5
read this.
Reply 6
i can understand that must be frustrating, but please whatever you do, don't judge a city on the stupidity of a couple of girls!!
Reply 7
hmm...this is kinda like prenuptial tension. I understand how each factor may have a bearing on your decision/gut feeling...but let's assess things rationally.

1. Don't know anyone who's going to Bristol

This, alone, should not stand as an obstacle. One of the major assumptions of university life is that you're starting fresh and meeting new people. As long as you're not a social recluse (which I assume you aren't), this shouldn't be a problem. I've got friends coming to Bristol though, so it may seem a bit hypocritical of me to offer my advice...but I honestly tried to not let it sway my decision and only act as a 'bonus' if you know what I mean.

2. Crappy admissions office

The most obvious point is you'll only ever deal with them once. The best universities in the world have the ****test admissions teams. Now I'm not saying Bristol's is bad...I've had no negative experience with them (apart from the lack of organisation/streamlined accommodation application process...which is a separate entity altogether). Obviously home/overseas will play a big deal in your decision but again, should not play too much into your perception of the university as a whole. If you don't get home status...then it's somewhat justified. Remember you're only dealing with them once :p:

3. Racism

If there was someone who should be worried about that, it's me. I've never lived outside the middle east. I'm half egyptian half iranian (beautifully terrorist combination). I don't drink. I am somewhat of a cultural anomaly in the UK (student culture anyway). Plus, I'm growing a bit of a beard at the moment :biggrin: (out of boredom, not necessity). Fair enough, I've been in a british-style school all my life...but really you should have far far less to worry about. As everyone already pointed out, the opinions of a couple of idiots cannot reflect an entire city. There will always be a few weirdos out there who might make outsiders feel uncomfortable but again, this is universal and inescapable. Things that everyone has to deal with eventually.

Hope this helps...PM if you're still confused. more than happy to talk.
Reply 8
i'm a londoner too, and dont forget, parts of london can be pretty racist too, but, personally I've had a virtually no problems (i'm from south woodford - predominantly white area).
I mean, I thought it must be the same case at bristol - i mean, face it, you're going to find ****heads, no matter where you go! So you just gotta do the same you do over here, and avoid them.
As for admin problems, they must be a whole lot of stress that you dont need right now, but, like toonbarmy said, sort it, and put it behind you :smile: easier said than done, I know..
Also, I know very few people coming to Bristol too - but thats part of the attraction! I could do with a change, lol! If i had gone where loads of people from my school were going i'd be going to westminster...or worse, london metropolitan...
and besides, dont your fellow nerds on TSR count..?:P
so, yeah, please reconsider bristol! and hopefully, see you in october! :smile: xxxxxxx
Reply 9
Big-up Abood's post. Knowing no-one is fairly irrelevant, the admissions office you'll never have to deal with again, and racism is just not an issue. Of course there's loads of white middle class people there....it won't be any different at Warwick...the top British universities are made up of white middle class people.

Like others have said, they're just two naive teenage girls.

And they're both banging.

Especially Emily.
Reply 10
Plus - one last point, because no-one has said this yet - open days are going to be (slightly) more 'white' than the actual student population because it's a lot easier for someone from....Surrey to get to Bristol than it is for someone from...Singapore. Someone from Asia isn't gonna come over just for one day, not usually anyway, hence there won't be so many Asian people at an open day.
mini moi

which brings me to the last problem. im scared that bristol is a racist place. what with the racist fights that used to happen how many years ago, the girl off shipwrecked thats going there this year that says she dont like black people, and Emily off BB saying that the people she knows using the 'n' word. now if i knew anyone that was coming to this uni i would be alright coming here but coming to a uni/city where racist people are gonna be in and where i think people might be racist is not the best decision.

i have been to an open day that was completely flooded with white middle class people who were very nice people, please dont get me wrong, i talked with loads of people there. but it seems like the sensible option is to go to warwick which is almost as good as bristol, wants lesser grades and i have friends that are going there and plus is near to london. i dont wanna get abused or attacked just because of the colour of my skin :eek: :frown:

i am the kinda person that hangs out with everyone, my best friend is white, i have friends from arabic states, europe, asia,america, africa. so im not the kinda person that hangs out with only the people from my country. its all about peace and love :biggrin:

ok this is an essay now, please tell me what you think thank you for reading

xx

LOL because Big Brother and Shipwrecked are a real microcosmic representation of the city of Bristol.

Idiot.

p.s. Emily is banging

p.p.s. suga_fly_77 agrees with me on the first point, not so the second.
Reply 12
hey thanks for your replies guys, i guess its like aboodz said its kinda like prenuptial tension lol this has been dragging so long that im starting to doubt my decision. i do like the city its beautiful. im gonna do Philosophy. please dont think that i am saying that Bristol is a racist place. of course there are racist people in London, i just dont live near them. its nt only the two girls, a few years ago there was sum kinda mini racist war going on in Bristol. lol i just realised how dumb i sound lool ok i need to be rational about this, al the things im hearing a just making me think, but if you lot say its not like that then thats ok, obviously i can only go on what i hear from different sources.

now that i think of it the chances of encountering a racist person is very slight. im gonna stop worrying and thinking about this too much.

ok im gonna call the admissions people on monday and get this sorted. then next will be the accomodation people who i know i will have to put on my speed dial :biggrin:

thanks for your reply again guys i WILL see you all in october :biggrin:
Reply 13
you do understand we can't be held responsible if you end up having a crappy time :p:
just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, maybe you should ask the warwick folk what they think of this hm? :wink:
abood
you do understand we can't be held responsible if you end up having a crappy time :p:
just for the sake of playing devil's advocate, maybe you should ask the warwick folk what they think of this hm? :wink:

1000 words spent convincing her to go to bristol and it only takes 50 to undo the good work. well done lol
Reply 15
oh for an asian guy, i believe Bristol isnt racist. And yeah, the reason of "i'm going to bristol because i dont know anyone" point isnt valid since i didnt know anyone here and made great friends.... so it's ok as long as u dong lock yourself in your room everyday and study....
Reply 16
mini moi

i have been to an open day that was completely flooded with white middle class people who were very nice people, please dont get me wrong, i talked with loads of people there. ...i dont wanna get abused or attacked just because of the colour of my skin :eek: :frown:

And the award for ironic racially prejuidced statement goes to...
Bristol is just a normal city.
I didn't know whether to choose warwick or bristol as my firm choice either. most of my best friends are going to warwick, so it would of been so easy to go there, but bristol is the better place for what i want to study. i don't know anyone going to bristol, but most people don't know anyone there either! when i went to the open day i noticed that there were LOTS of people from different cultures, so i think it just depends on what open day you go on.

It sounds like you're trying to make a problem before one has even come about! 99.9% of people aren't racist. You've chosen 2 girls who give the impression they are, but think of how many people you could name who aren't. you get discrimination everywhere! if it isn't racism, it'll be something else! You've jus got to be yourself! you'll make lots of friends wherever you go! in the long run, if bristol is better for your subject, then I think you'll be pleased you went there! Aim high!!! otherwise you might have regrets! xxx
charlotte_18
I didn't know whether to choose warwick or bristol as my firm choice either. most of my best friends are going to warwick, so it would of been so easy to go there, but bristol is the better place for what i want to study.

I really don't understand this whole thing about wanting to go to university with friends. Without denigrating any of my mates (cause they're great) I see having people I know going to university with me as a negative. Isn't the whole point to meet new people and to strike out on your own? Isn't it kind of hard to move on in your life if you're constantly harking back for reminders of where you've come from?

That probably makes me sound really cold and emtionless, I swear I'm actually not!

Latest

Trending

Trending