Announcements Posted on
The Football forum needs another moderator! 19-04-2014
We're up for a Webby! Vote TSR to help us win. 10-04-2014
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    LIVERPOOL FC
    Most successful club in England

History
    Originally, Anfield was the home of Everton Football Club who began playing there in 1884. In 1892 a row over the rent led to the majority of members storming out in protest and moving across Stanley Park to build Goodison. Those who remained in Anfield decided to set up a club of their own - and so
    Liverpool Football Club was born. However, the fortress that is Anfield will soon stand empty as LFC ups its bags and leaves to greener pastures - about 2 minutes away on Stanley park. Reports have the ground to be an initial 61,000 with the option of increasing to 70,000+ once the bottle transport link is up and running. The new stadium will also be the proud owner of the largest single tier stand behind a goal in europe with a massive 18,000 kopites set to grace it.

The Kop

The kop was the birth place of the well known and awe inspiring anthem 'You'll never walk alone'. Built in 1906 and named the 'spion kop' after a hill in the boer war it could hold upto 24,000. That capacity was cut in 1996, to fall in line with the taylor report following the Hillsborough disaster. It know holds 12,000 fans and has become well known for an atmosphere opposition players will never forget.

You'll never walk alone

There is much speculation of who was the first club to sing YNWA. Celtic have made claims that it was they, not liverpool, who were the first to belt out this iinspirational song. Some crazy manchester united fan even claims it was a manc who belted out the classic after the munich air disaster. YNWA can be linked to liverpool from when it was released by 'Gerry and the pacemakers' after it was firstly sung on the musical 'carousel'. The kop used to sing the latest 'chart toppers' before KO and YNWA stayed at the top for a long. Shankly heard this song, and demanded it was played before every game to act as a motivation. YNWAs most famous momment was at half time in the champions league final 2005, with liverpool trailing 3-0. It spured the team into an amazing comeback to finally win the game on penalties.

The History

Lets keep it brief.

18 league titles- 1900-01,1905-06,1921-22,1922-23,1946-47,1963-64,1965-66,1972-73,1975-76,1976-77,1978-79,1979-80,1981-82,
    1982-83,1983-84,1985-86,1987-88,1989-90

5 european cups-
    77, 78, 81, 85, 05

Hillsborough

On the 15th April 1989, thousands of Liverpool supporters went to watch their team in a FA Cup semi final against Nottingham Forest at Hillsborough stadium.

96 of them, never came home.

With KO approaching, their was congestion at the turnstyles as fans tried to get in. In all his wisdow, the stadium manager ordered the police to open the gates and in doing so opened up the stadium to every man and his dog, regardless of ticket. The middle pen in leppings lane was becoming dangerously crowded, but fans were not ushered into the side pens that were almost empty. Soon, the crush spilled out onto the pitch were the game was still in full motion. Gasping for air, dying supporters were thrown back into the pen by police officers thinking they were facing a riot. As a consequence of ****e policing, and poor management 96 Liverpool fans died that day.

Of those who died, 89 were male 7 were female. In respect of age, the majority were under 30 years of age, and more than a third were under 20 years. The youngest to die was a boy of 10 years.

The cause of death was attributed to crush asphyxia. Most deaths occurred in pen 3, the remainder occurring in pen 4. The majority of deaths occurred at the front of the pens. 730 people were injured inside the ground. 36 people sustained injuries outside the ground.

But the hurt did not stop after the disaster. The memories of the 96 loved ones, was run through the mud 4 days later when the S*N printed damning lines on its front page under the headline 'THE TRUTH'. The truth was, that this accusations were lies based on nothing. But the damage was done. Every liverpool fan in Hillsborough that day was stuck with the label of murderers who rob and piss on the dying and dead.

NO Liverpool fan with a sense of decency. Will EVER EVER buy the s*n. Even today, the editor at time Mackenzie refuses to apologies for these lies that still continue to hurt. And still, justice has not been resolved.

Justice for the 96. NEVER BUY THE SUN. THE TRUTH

The Team

Subs
    2. Arbeloa
    4. Hyypia
    10. Voronin
    11. Benayoun
    12. Aurelio
    15.Crouch
    19.Babel
    20. Mascherano
    21. Leiva
    22. Sissoko
    26.Anderson
    30. Itandje
    33.Leto
    34.Spearing
    35.Putterill
    36.Flynn
    38.Lindfield
    39.Darby
    40.Martin
    42.El Zhar
    44.Threlfall
    46.Hobbs
    48.Insua

PREDICTION LEAGUE
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Transfers for 2007/2008 season.

Players in

Andriy Voronin - Bayer Leverkusen (Free)
    Lukas Leiva- Gremio (£8m)
    Sebastián Leto - Club Athletico Lanus (£1.8m)
    Yossi Benayoun - West Ham (£5m)
    Ryan Babel - Ajax (£11.5m)
    Itandje - Lens (Undisclosed)
    Krisztian Nemeth - MTK Hungaria (youth)
    Andras Simon - MTK Hungaria (youth)
    Mihail Alexandrov - CSKA Sofia (youth)
    Nikolay Mihailov - Levski Sofia (youth)
    Dani Pacheco - Barcelona (youth)
    Alexander Kacaniklic - Helsingborgs (youth)
    Marvin Purie - Borussia Dortmund (youth)
    Mikel San Jose - Athletic Bilbao (£250,000)
    Fernando Torres - Athletico Madrid (£20m)
    Players Out

Jerzy Dudek (free)
    Robbie Fowler (free)
    Bolo Zenden (free)
    Pongolle - Recreativo (£3m)
    Guthrie - Bolton (Loan)
    Garcia - A. Madrid (£4m)
    Mark Gonzalez - Betis (£3.5m)
    Craig Bellamy - West Ham (£7.5m)
    Gabriel Paletta - Boca Juniors (Undisclosed)
    Djibril Ciise - Marseille (Undisclosed)

Staff in
    Piet Hamberg - Academy Technical Manager,

Staff out
    Frank Mcparland - Chief scout
    Steve Heighway - Youth team manager
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    With Chelsea going out of the Champions League, which of the remaning English sides do you think will go the furthest?

I have put my money on Liverpool (at http://www.studentbettingvillage.co.uk ) to be the English team to progress the furthest in the competition.

What does everyone else think?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think Arsenal will go further, just because their good record this year (played 7, won 6, drew 1). but its difficult to say becuase arsenal have been inconsistant in other competitions.

the important thing about this stage to score away goals, two teams went through last night on away goals. liverpool dont have any away goals, so they are at a big disadvantage. if benfica score tonight, liverpool will have to score 3.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gunners. I have a feeling Liverpool might not make it tonight...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    i think all 3 teams will be knocked out
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think we (liverpool) will reach the final!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Gunners to win it, its written in the stars now that Spurs will finish 4th and Arsenal will win the CL and take the CL spot off them. :p:
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    Gunners to win it, its written in the stars now that Spurs will finish 4th and Arsenal will win the CL and take the CL spot off them. :p:
    That would be so damn funny... Oh yes :cool:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Real aren't the side they once were, although anyone would be foolish not to take them as a threat. I still believe Arsenal could manage a draw and ge through.

Liverpool i'm sure will also beat Benfica and get through. It just better not be by 2 goals to 1.

I think Liverpool & Arsenal will both go out in the next round.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciderpeter)
    lol, they probably have a better chance at finishing 4th than wining the CL.:suitc:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    It is a disgrace that Spurs will not take part in the Champions League should that happen. Of course, the winners should always defend their title but to say 4th spot in the third best league in Europe (according to UEFA co-efficients) is not good enough purely because the winners failed to qualify by league position is somewhat baffling when it will be good enough had the winners come from a different league. If Liverpool was allowed to take part so should Spurs.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Real aren't the side they once were, although anyone would be foolish not to take them as a threat. I still believe Arsenal could manage a draw and ge through.

Liverpool i'm sure will also beat Benfica and get through. It just better not be by 2 goals to 1.

I think Liverpool & Arsenal will both go out in the next round.
    what if they play each other?

is the draw already been made all the way, or do they still do it after every round?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    It is a disgrace that Spurs will not take part in the Champions League should that happen. Of course, the winners should always defend their title but to say 4th spot in the third best league in Europe (according to UEFA co-efficients) is not good enough purely because the winners failed to qualify by league position is somewhat baffling when it will be good enough had the winners come from a different league. If Liverpool was allowed to take part so should Spurs.
    that doesnt make sense.:confused:
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because Liverpool were allowed entry to this season's competition despite not finishing 4th or above. Should Arsenal do the same, Spurs are in the UEFA Cup because UEFA could not stand 5 English teams in the tournament. This is assuming that Spurs do actually finish 4th and Arsenal finish below that and win the damn thing.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    what if they play each other?

is the draw already been made all the way, or do they still do it after every round?
    They can play each other as only the last-16 is country protected. The quarterfinals and beyond aren't, e.g. Chelsea v Arsenal 2003/2004.

The draw is made this Friday I believe and is for both the quarterfinals and the semifinals.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Possibly one of the biggest contradictions i've ever read!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Spurs come 4th this season and Arsenal win the competition then 5 English teams should take part IMO. That's all I'm saying.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Spurs come 4th this season and Arsenal win the competition then 5 English teams should take part IMO. That's all I'm saying.
    I disagree. Only the top four teams in the premiership should be qualify. It shouldnt make a difference if you win it or not.

As for who will progres further....I think Liverpool. Arsenal are useless, Madrid will cain us tonight and Benfica will be a walk in the park for Liverpool.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So what you're saying is Liverpool should not be in this years competition? Not exactly a Liverpool fan, but that would be slightly unfair.

If Arsenal win it and fininsh 15th, they should still be able to defend.
    Arsenal have 2 major bogie teams:
    - Bolton
    - Liverpool
    I do hope they don't get Liverpool in the next round. I'm already talking as though they're both through
Updated: December 2, 2007
Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered football threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.