The Student Room Group

Getting up in the mornings

What are you guys like at getting up in the mornings?

I find it so difficult to get out of bed and its not just at this time of year.

Im probably not always tired because I get the recommended 8 hours sleep alot, just eyes always sore which keeps me from getting up and just going back to sleep.

Have any of you improved at this?

Any tips of how to get up more easily??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
mornings are baaaddd...I am also not too good in the morning....especially in the in winter when its dark when you get up.

I tend to be a night person. I rarely go to bed before 12
Reply 2
I don't get up in the mornings. I get up in the afternoon. My average sleep pattern is 3-4am-1pm.
Reply 3
just do it. jump out of bed

i listen to the radio, and i say to myself when the news finishes im getting out of bed

it feels great getting up early, but it does also feel great laying in bed for hours, but when i eventually get up, i feel i have wasted half the day so i like to try and get up as quick as possible
I'm not a morning person at all.
I'm great on Mondays, as soon as the phone and radio go off I'm up and out.
It gets more and more difficult during the week though, by Thursday and Friday I'd either not get up at all until 9am (missing school mornings) or if I push myself I can be up by 6.50 earliest.
Weekends, whenever I want! :biggrin:

Actually my sleep pattern changes every week. So the above is just last week lol.
I can just get up,i keep my alarm on the other side of the room so i have to stand up.If that fails,my mums squeaky voice is an annoyance but a great alarm too.
Splash your face with water,breathe some fresh air and move around,to resist the urge to return to bed.
Reply 7
Cage
I don't get up in the mornings. I get up in the afternoon. My average sleep pattern is 3-4am-1pm.

Ditto! But only during the holidays.
I always get woken up in the morning and absolutely hate it!:p:
It's usually because. A- i'm not a morning person really and B- I don't tend to sleep till late heh,so probably don't get the recommended hours for sleep especially when it's hot at night!:p: and C- My mum likes me up early, I only wake up in the afternoons rarely.
Reply 9
I've started getting up at the same time every morning, mainly because I feel like I've wasted the day otherwise. Now I can get up no problem, and if I try and have a lie in I always wake up at the same time.
I used to be able to get out of bed right away, but not anymore... I tend to set my alarm like an hour before I am suppose to get up, like say if I need to get up at 9am, I set my alarm at like 8am, so I have like a whole hour to "roll" in my bed to wake myself up... um... it works for most days...
haha, used to be really easy, i just wouldn't consider staying in bed after my alarm went off, straight away out of bed and dancing 2 the radio. But its harder when you know you can press snooze...i find a really lemony shower and a really good breakfast of smoothie or something helps, then i look forwards to getting out of bed. It literally is a mindset. It gets a lot easier if you get out of bed at the same time each day because then you start to wake naturally at that strangely early time...
I'm not a morning person.It probably takes me about an hour to getup. But in that hour, I can fit in a shower, coffee, breakfast, and other essentials!
Reply 13
Eva
Ditto! But only during the holidays.

Yeah well I'm permanently on holiday at the moment. At least until October anyway. Or until I finally get a job!
Best Tip i can give you...Have 2 alarm clocks (trying gettin one with an annoying buzz or the likes)/radios, set them within 15-20 mins of each other (or as appropriate, but not same time) and keep as far away from bed as possible. You wake up first time, turn first one off, and if ur like me you go back 2 bed, when 2nd one goes off, u get up to turn it off, look at the time, and the panic of getting late to work/college/uni kicks in, waking you up.
rufnek2k6
Best Tip i can give you...Have 2 alarm clocks (trying gettin one with an annoying buzz or the likes)

This is why my beautiful + expensive alarm DIED... haha... I kept throwing it off my bed... the poor little thing...
Reply 16
I hate mornings. I just stand under the shower for about 10 minutes before washing anything of mine. I then dry myself and sometimes crawl back into my pit. This is soon followed by:
"JOSS! HAVE YOU GONE BACK TO BED? GET UP! I NEED YOU TO HELP ME MOVE THE TABLE! MY CAR'S NOT WORKING; TAKE ME TO WAITROSE!"
"(Grunt)... Go yourself, my keys are downstairs..."
"Where?"
"On top of the radiator in the dining room!"
"No they're not!"
"USE YOUR ***ING EYES!"
"JOSS!"
This is almost always followed by an argument.
Reply 17
If you're a teenager, it's a typical phase. I had the whole not being able to get up thing for about 4 years. It was horrible! You've just got to grit your teeth and realise how gash your body is being, though.
I hate getting up. I seriously do, it's so hard. And the worst thing is, I'm going to have to go through it again in 7 hours...
The thing is, I can survive on 4 hours sleep or so, but if there aren't any constraints on my time (ie, study leave, holidays) I find myself needed 10+ hours, which surely isn't healthy. I hope it's just being teenage :/
At the moment though, I've just started a full time job for the whole summer, and other than the weekends I'm probably not going to get a day off for the next 4 weeks. Ouch. Especially since I can't skive the first hour, like I could at college...:p: I've found forcing myself into a shower wakes me up? not the funnest experience first thing, though.

Actually, I don't think waking up is the problem, I'm usually awake before my alarm goes off. It's just getting up...
Reply 19
I hate getting up, lately my sleep patterns have been kind of 3.30-12 ish, holidays get me into bad habits!