The Student Room Group

What AS's go better with A2 eng lit and hist?

I go back to college next wednesday and will be studying A2 eng lit and A2 hist for definate. I didn't pass AS bio and chem so i am dropping chem, but am thinking of retaking all the bio exams to get an AS in it at least (my college won't allow me to take bio to A2 because i failed it). On top of that, i have the option of taking another AS in critical thinking. At first, i didnt really think i would want to do that so i told my college to try and let me do philosophy or psychology as an AS. They have yet to tell me whether they can do that (it is unlikely that they can in which case i will do AS bio and critical thinking). If they can offer me philosophy or psychology what would be best to take? I'm not sure what two AS's out of bio, critical thinking, philosophy, psychology will go better with my two A2's. :confused: I will be applying for a 3 year degree in primary teaching and need a minimum of 180 UCAS points from 2 A levels to do the course (please bear that in mind).
Reply 1
Why havn't you got your results yet? :confused:
Reply 2
i have got my results - i got (B,D,U,U in eng lit, hist, bio, chem respectively)
Sorry but why have you created so many threads about this? Just stick to one!
Reply 4
coz not many ppl replied 2 da other ones :frown: sorry :redface:
well it looks like you've made you mind up

however i would suggest doing sociology, its a great subject and real easy because english lit and history are quite difficult a-levels, remember theirs synoptic exams, and AQA English lit, every exam is closed book and synoptic, so youve got to keep in mind the stress levels. sociology is good to grasp onto. i got 98% in ym AS sociology and im not genius so you cna figure from that.

psychology is supposed to be just as easy too...

depends waht field you want to go into really when u start uni/career, think what subject will be best suited.

critical thinking, sociology eng lit, history, politics are all great if you want to go into Law or something similar.

biology at A2 ihas one synoptic paper which is VERYa difficult, but doing your AS's sound okay, however it WILL be very stressful because if you're doing AQA Eng Lit, i dont know what your course includes but mine meant that i had to study William Blake's book of poems and learnmt hem off by heart, and for the same day learn a whole play called Duchess of Malfi off by heart...
so take in mind how much you'll hve on.
Reply 6
SparklLZz
critical thinking, sociology eng lit, history, politics are all great if you want to go into Law or something similar.

i want to go into primary teaching :smile:
Reply 7
Maria D
i want to go into primary teaching :smile:

Then it doesn't really matter, do something you enjoy as this will probably get you the best grade anyway...good luck!
Reply 8
Critical Thinking: No/few lessons, pawing through a textbook, hardly any prep before the exam. Fairly respected, but also very dependent on a candidate's innate ability i.e. some people will fail this no matter how hard they work, a lot of the skills are unteachable. An easy ride if you can do it though.

Pschology: I know some absolute monkeys who did very well in this at AS-level.

Sociology: No idea.
Reply 9
mobbdeeprob
Critical Thinking: No/few lessons, pawing through a textbook, hardly any prep before the exam. Fairly respected, but also very dependent on a candidate's innate ability i.e. some people will fail this no matter how hard they work, a lot of the skills are unteachable. An easy ride if you can do it though.

Pschology: I know some absolute monkeys who did very well in this at AS-level.

Sociology: No idea.

Can you tell me a bit more about CT? I'm not sure if I'd be any good at it, what sort of qs are there?
Aimée123
Can you tell me a bit more about CT? I'm not sure if I'd be any good at it, what sort of qs are there?

I've never done it before - although I intend to do it this year by myself (something constructive to do during some of those copious frees...).

Have a lookie here for the content, there is also a PDF specimen paper:
http://www.ocr.org.uk/OCR/WebSite/docroot/qualifications/qualificationhome/showQualification.do?qual_oid=2072&site=OCR&oid=2072&server=PRODUKTION

A few of my mates who go to college took it this year (1st year VI form). From what I can gather, they had very few lessons, and didn't really go to them anway! Their studying involved looking over a text book (which many of them didn't read) and doing past papers in the lessons that they went to.

They all took English Lit AS and their CT grades were (except in one case) very close to/the same as their English grades.
Reply 11
Thanks for that link - very useful, i just tried a few of the questions and checked da mark scheme and got most of them right. :biggrin: Section B with the passages looks interesting - a lot like english comprehension it seems :smile: :rolleyes:
Reply 12
Do Politics!
Law? Religious Studies...?
Reply 13
no point in law or politics - don't want a career in law or politics. Also politics seems boring, no offence to anyone who might take it and actually enjoy it :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Politics - boring? Aaaargh.

P.S. Philosophy is far better than Psychology.
Reply 15
Wise One

in what way is it better? in terms of being a more respected AS level or because it is more interesting?
Reply 16
Wise One

You only think it is.
Reply 17
do either of you study philosophy or psychology? :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending