The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

Reply 140
i actually just got an email from them. though it may be bull****, i forgot to put something on my app so emailed it them and slipped in the when do we get our offers Q :

"We will be starting the allocations process at the beginning of next
week and would advise you that you should continue to check your account
as an offer of accommodation should be made in the near future."
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Does anyone have anything to say about College Wynd, Robertson's Close and New Arthur Place?
OK guys, a wee update for you. I just received my accommodation offer officially a few hours ago. I, most likely, received mine so early because I am assuming the role of House Assistant in Chancellor's Court next year, and it is likely that you will all still be waiting a couple of weeks to get yours. However, I thought you would like to know as it means that the allocation process has begun and your applications are being processed.

If anyone's interested, I'll be in G077 Chancellor's Court (that's the ground floor btw) this year.
Reply 143
Well it sounds like news will come either soon, in quite a while, or sometime in between. Which is good, I suppose.
Reply 144
As an international student I received notification of my accommodation only a few days before uni started and I applied back in Feb! When I called them at the end of August to try to find out what was going on (I had exceeded the conditions of my offer back in July as I was an IB student) they kept reassuring me that I would have a place and not to fret....
In the end I was allocated Chancellor's Ct and ended up in one of the best rooms - large room on the 4th floor, ensuite loo/shower, large balcony (great for parties and keeping your beer cold) with an amazing view of Arthur's seat.
So for some reason the accommodation process is really slow....I guess it takes time to get it all sorted as there are so many "conditional" vs. "unconditional" offers and the A level results come out so late in August.
Edinburgh was my insurance offer, so maybe it took time for UCAS to update and inform Edinburgh that I was now coming but I was already on a flight to Scotland on the first week of Sept without knowing where on earth I'd be living!
Reply 145
How much weight do you give to the communal rooms? The overwhelming factor in my (rather late) accommodation choice is the social scene. I really like the rooms in CC but I'm hearing stuff about Pollock being lonely and you can't have communal parties. CC obviously has the most people to meet, but with no kitchens and no communal lounge I'm worried that I'll just be surrounded by strangers the whole time. To be honest I dislike the thought of catered accommodation (I'm not in bloody high school anymore, I don't want to line up with a tray and shuffle past the dinnerladies) but I really do want to go where the people are, so if it's easiest to meet people in catered then I'm jumping right in. Money isn't an issue (I'm completely self-financing my degree, before anyone starts, I've took a gap year to work to afford the crazy rent in Edinburgh).

I've got an unconditional offer so I hope I'll be able to get something in my top 3, but right now I'm struggling to make a decision. I always sweat the little things like this, it's only a year but the right accommodation can decide the time you have in your first year.

If anyone gets a chance, I'm applying monday at the very latest so a quick reply would be much appreciated. Thanks
Reply 146
Sod it, went for Darroch Court as a first choice. Pretty much the only place I haven't heard a bad word about, so here's hoping I'll get a place.
Reply 147
So I am definitely going to Edinburgh next fall! My UCAS track was updated today to unconditional firm this morning. How soon should I find out about accommodation?
Reply 148
i think darroch court was my first choice...i cant even remember what the other 2 were
Reply 149
nessa7
So I am definitely going to Edinburgh next fall! My UCAS track was updated today to unconditional firm this morning. How soon should I find out about accommodation?

I'm from Canada and didn't find out until I was on the plane heading to Edinburgh! Don't worry they have lots of space... It's just general pandemonium getting all of the students into their accommodation - seems to just take time to do the juggling.
Reply 150
Hi everyone!
Got a bit anxious about all this accommodation stuff,
I'm UF since early July and still received no accom offer...
To add, im a non-UK EU student but still It should've been worked out by now... (by the end of July)
Anyone in my situation? :biggrin:
Reply 151
Jack29
Hi everyone!
Got a bit anxious about all this accommodation stuff,
I'm UF since early July and still received no accom offer...
To add, im a non-UK EU student but still It should've been worked out by now... (by the end of July)
Anyone in my situation? :biggrin:

Don't worry about it, I'm from scotland and been unconditional since about February I think and still haven't got an offer, I'm not the only one I don't think. Hopefully we should find out soon! The only people I've heard that are getting offers are people who are getting places in Pollock and also a few in Hermits Croft which is self catered. maybe they just haven't done all the places yet or something! did you apply for catered or self catered?
hope you hear soon!
xx
Reply 152
Thanks, Emma:smile:

emmaw9018
did you apply for catered or self catered?
hope you hear soon!
xx

I applied for catered - Pollock Halls, and Warrender Park Road as an insurance.

Ok, I'm patient :wink:
Reply 153
arod
I'm from Canada and didn't find out until I was on the plane heading to Edinburgh! Don't worry they have lots of space... It's just general pandemonium getting all of the students into their accommodation - seems to just take time to do the juggling.

I think you said somewhere that Edinburgh wasn't your firm choice though, so do you think that made a difference?
I hope I know before I leave!! :s-smilie:

How does the whole process work? What is MyEd?
Reply 154
nessa7

How does the whole process work? What is MyEd?

MyEd (https://www.myed.ed.ac.uk/) is a students' portal with LOADS of stuff (from news, weather to your personal email box etc etc). You use it to get messages from Uni or DoS or others:smile:.

Basically, when you're UF (=Unconditional firm) The Uni sends you a letter with MyEd username enclosed (this may take some time since you're Canadian, but be patient, around 1-2 weeks or so, I think) and a University Card form.
Then you log into MyEd and set a password.

After that, All you have to do is to wait (providing you've applied 4 accom via the accommodation website already) - I'm still waiting :wink:

Any offers will be posted to you via MyEd (with an email notification). You accept an offer via MyEd.

This might come in handy
http://www.accom.ed.ac.uk/accom_info/applying/Summer_2007_application_update.htm

Hope that was clear enough :smile:
Reply 155
Thanks! That was very clear :smile:

So the forms and everything will they be sent in a package along with everything else I will need to know for vet med? Or do you receive a package from the university that is not specific to your degree?

And yes I have already applied for accommodation... South Clerk, Sciennes, and East Newington... I think haha

Thanks again for the help!
Reply 156
I haven't had an accomodation offer yet, I'm curious though - is there a very specific moving-in date? I'd like to book my flight soonish.
The earliest you can move in is Saturday 8th September. Most move in on either the Saturday or Sunday but others do trickle through during the week. Beware, however- you MUST have a meeting with your DOS and MUST, if not already done online or by post, matriculate during Freshers' Week. Personally, I advise moving in on the Saturday- it gives you a completely equal chance as everybody else in your flat / hall to settle in as they won't have time to bond without you before you arrive.
Reply 158
Cheers. Saturday it is, then!
Is anyone else getting a weird error when they try to view their accommodation offer? When I click the link in MyEd, it takes me to a page that says I accepted the accommodation contract and doesn't tell me ANY information about the housing. It says:

You have accepted the following accommodation:

Accommodation Type
Room Type
Address

Period of Residence From to

All just blanks...

Latest

Trending

Trending