The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Apart from high profile cases, many crown courts will let you just walk in.
Reply 2
We have a Law Courts and a Magistrates court here...which will let us in easiest? Also, how do we tell when a case is on, so that we don't end up walking in and disturbing things?
Sorry for the stupid questions but we really don't know what to expect.
Reply 3
No idea which one is easiest to get into. Best thing is to go and ask the clerk on the door - they'll know better than us about etiquette and the like.
Reply 4
Um, it's fairly straightforward in any court, you open the door and walk in...

If it's a closed proceeding, the door will be locked or there will be a sign/person there to tell you.

There's no problem in walking in during a case, so long as you're quiet and respectful. In a lot of courts, they're constantly dealing with business, so there's no pre-defined breaks or anything.

If you want guidance as to what's on or suchlike, ask at the reception.
You'd have a more interesting time in Crown courts to be honest.
You can walk in at anytime but it's best to be in time for a morning or afternoon session (10am or 2pm ish) Then you walk in with other people to watch.
And stand up when the judge enters or leaves! lol
:smile:
Reply 6
cpj1987
Also, how do we tell when a case is on, so that we don't end up walking in and disturbing things?

Despite not being in Britain I'm fairly certain it's standard to have guards and other people about to help wayward visitors. I'd also imagine they lock the courtroom doors during proceedings.
Reply 7
ISH
Despite not being in Britain I'm fairly certain it's standard to have guards and other people about to help wayward visitors. I'd also imagine they lock the courtroom doors during proceedings.

They usually have a receptionist or two, often not much else.

And no, they rarely lock doors. As I said above, it's only if the judge has ruled that a proceeding should be closed - and that requires a fairly good reason.
Reply 8
The RCJ is quite a good place to go, glass windows on the doors but the seats are creaky, like posters have said you can literally walk in and sit down, the visitors seats will be next to the entrance just dont leave when someones swearing an oath or the judge will pwn you.
Reply 9
i once went on a class trip to liverpool crown court - afaik you just walk in and find a court usher to take you into the court room (you can't just stroll in while the courting is in progress)

i ignored this when i went and walked into the trial of a paedophile - i heard "...fondled the boy's genitals-" then the whole court looked round at me and fell silent when i walked in! i just turned round and got the hell out of there! :redface: :redface:
Reply 10
I worked with a criminal lawyer for a week and she was defending a youth on murder trial at the Old Bailey. So I got to sit in the actual court bit, not in the gallery where visitors sit.
You can pretty much just walk in, tell the security you're visiting. I saw a couple of schools brought (a limited amount of) students in to come view our case.

AND, one stage a transvestite came in to watch :eek:
(And I feel compelled to add that he was a man dressed in a skirt, going commando and sat with his legs wide open. :bawling:)
Reply 11
I've sat in the public gallery twice.. at the local crown court. It was a case involving a man who had stabbed a school professor earlier in the year. It was an interesting experience, and would love to do it again.

First time I went the lady at reception said what case do you want to sit in, and she produced a list of the cases and which courtrooms. I was supposed to go to the Old Bailey with college, but the trip was postponed and now I've finished the course and I haven't been!! :frown:
Reply 12
Ok, thanks for all the help guys - think we'll go next week and speak to them at reception!
Thanks again :smile:
Original post by ISH

Yeah, you are slightly wrong there. UK courts tend not to have 'guards' as such, but there will be clerks and ushers walking about doing things and they will help you.

Latest

Trending

Trending