The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The gym is a pretty contentious issue. I'm not sure what the prices will be like for this year but traditionally the university gym has been far more expensive than most of the gyms offered by other universities.

I know that there are gyms in Beeston, though the only one that I have the details for is Joint Effort: http://www.joint-effort.co.uk/studio.htm
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Apparently the SU have negotiated new gym fees for this year - I can't remember the exact figure, but it's now all inclusive (ie you don't need to pay each time you go any more) and unlike before includes use of the swimming pool.
£140 rings a bell. How does this compare to "normal" gym prices?
Hi there

I am a regular gym goer and was thinking the same.

When I looked around the gym on uni park campus it was quite big and it seemed to be quite quiet.
It is £185 a year which I think is a reasonable price, the gym im at at the moment is about double if not more!

And its easy to get to as opposed to going into nottingham centre for an alternative

kate
Reply 5
giraffehaveabath
£140 rings a bell. How does this compare to "normal" gym prices?

That sounds about right - previously it was £45 for sports centre membership, then another £185 for gym membership, and then £3.50 every time you go. One reason why I've never bothered joining the gym! (The other being that I'm far too lazy)
Reply 6
If the SU have negotiated better pricing then I'd be far more inclined to join. If you compare the price that Alex mentions(£45+£185+£3.50 per time) to what I've been told by an existing Cardiff uni student that they pay (free membership and £1.20 per visit), our prices are ridiculous.
Reply 7
I'd prefer the cardiff system!
Reply 8
I didn't know that we are supposed to pay for each visit to the gym. Here things are a little different, there are no gyms with a per visit fee.
I hope it changes otherwise it can get really expensive to workout there.
Reply 9
**** the campus gym. get down RAW in lenton - that's where its at.
marciomaron
I didn't know that we are supposed to pay for each visit to the gym. Here things are a little different, there are no gyms with a per visit fee.
I hope it changes otherwise it can get really expensive to workout there.

You won't have to pay per visit next year, if you have a subscription. I don't know if there will be a ppv option for non members though. That would be a bit too useful, so I doubt it.
i just received a brochure today and apparently this year membership fees have changed. You can either subscribe to a bronze (65GBP), silver (110GBP) or Gold (195GBP) and then non-enrolment classes, tennis courts, squash n sports halls are all free. pool is free to silver and gold members. what it does not state is the times members are allowed to use the gym. I was thinking maybe Bronze members are only allowed to use the gym in the morning?? hmm i don't know.. maybe someone else can give more info??
Reply 12
does anyone know how returning students join this year? can we do it online?
Sure, well at least I did last year. Don't see why it would be any different.
Reply 14
Are there any pictures of the gym and its equipment?

Can anyone tell me what dumbells it has - what they go up to and in what increments, and whether it has a squat rack/power cage/leg press?
Reply 15
x.narb.x
Are there any pictures of the gym and its equipment?

Can anyone tell me what dumbells it has - what they go up to and in what increments, and whether it has a squat rack/power cage/leg press?

What possible advantage could you gain from knowing this now?

Apart from seizing the opportunity to gloat your useless (and basic) knowledge of gym equipment. :rolleyes:
Reply 16
RAW is a much better gym for guys. girls stick to uni gym.
Reply 17
barton
What possible advantage could you gain from knowing this now?

Apart from seizing the opportunity to gloat your useless (and basic) knowledge of gym equipment. :rolleyes:

To know if the gym has enough equipment to do what I want to do, for a start, so as to know whether or not the Uni gym is good enough or not. Isn't that obvious?

Thanks for the helpful reply though.
Reply 18
it should have enough to do what you want, the upstairs is well equipped and downstairs the freeweights room seems pretty standard for guys to do everything.

this website has a few pics though so should help http://www.harewoodleisure.co.uk/ :smile:
Ollie87
RAW is a much better gym for guys. girls stick to uni gym.

Why is it better for guys?

Latest