The Student Room Group

BT Apprenticeship 2015

Scroll to see replies

I've had the same you will get contract in next like 3 days but my contract was in junk mail so check there
Original post by Adamhjones
You not had contract yet?

I haven't, just checked my junk mail! Should be here soon I hope lol
Hi just wondering if open reach roles are the same as "network engineer" ?

My boyfriend is starting at yarn field next Sunday but doesn't know if his role as a network engineer is the same as open reach?

Also does anyone know how long he might be at yarn field for if his apprenticeship title is network engineer with no specific mention of open reach?

Thanks.
Original post by Thihhffs
Hi just wondering if open reach roles are the same as "network engineer" ?

My boyfriend is starting at yarn field next Sunday but doesn't know if his role as a network engineer is the same as open reach?

Also does anyone know how long he might be at yarn field for if his apprenticeship title is network engineer with no specific mention of open reach?

Thanks.

Yeah it will be in openreach, is it for a field engineer job?, I'm in service delivery (fibre and copper) my line of work is dealing with customers, I can imagain with network engineering he'll be more involved with laying cables and renewing them, or putting cables into new build sites, then the final install will be passed onto us guys.
I was at Yarnfield / buddying with an engineer over the course of just over 2 months, Yarnfield 1 week, local buddying for 2 weeks, then at Yarnfield for a further 4 weeks (home at weekends) Yarnfield isn't really learning about the job, it's more how to work safely, you do a lot of classroom based activity (electrical principles, some safety courses, do some safe working qualifications,street works lighting and guarding course) climbing of poles, operating of machinery...
But closer to the time he'll get put into a group call and everything will be explained, I know what it's like, there's no point ringing and asking what's going to be happening, because more than likely the organisers won't know either, he'll find everything's last minute and badly planned, and he can only go along with it. But it's only for 2 months and he'll get fed, paid, a hotel, fuel paid (and a van and iPhone if they're organised enough) then it's over for good.
Original post by lvjamestervl
Yeah it will be in openreach, is it for a field engineer job?, I'm in service delivery (fibre and copper) my line of work is dealing with customers, I can imagain with network engineering he'll be more involved with laying cables and renewing them, or putting cables into new build sites, then the final install will be passed onto us guys.
I was at Yarnfield / buddying with an engineer over the course of just over 2 months, Yarnfield 1 week, local buddying for 2 weeks, then at Yarnfield for a further 4 weeks (home at weekends) Yarnfield isn't really learning about the job, it's more how to work safely, you do a lot of classroom based activity (electrical principles, some safety courses, do some safe working qualifications,street works lighting and guarding course) climbing of poles, operating of machinery...
But closer to the time he'll get put into a group call and everything will be explained, I know what it's like, there's no point ringing and asking what's going to be happening, because more than likely the organisers won't know either, he'll find everything's last minute and badly planned, and he can only go along with it. But it's only for 2 months and he'll get fed, paid, a hotel, fuel paid (and a van and iPhone if they're organised enough) then it's over for good.

Thanks for your help.

It says on his contract that he's working somewhere at home but I'm guessing that will be after those weeks of training.

Is the 2 week buddying part based in your home area?
Reply 145
Its deffo not an engineering job.
Its one of the jobs you do not need an driving license for its office works. So its not engineering nor is it maintence etc. Wierd its under information technology.

The email they sent me said you will be doing this
1) inteview
2) q and a
3) group assessment

So i find its conpletely different i find it a bit wierd that !! Lol
Original post by zssr
Its deffo not an engineering job.
Its one of the jobs you do not need an driving license for its office works. So its not engineering nor is it maintence etc. Wierd its under information technology.

The email they sent me said you will be doing this
1) inteview
2) q and a
3) group assessment

So i find its conpletely different i find it a bit wierd that !! Lol

It says he's a network engineer though. Hmm not sure.

It doesn't say anything about the role or the training other than 'advanced apprenticeship: Network engineering'

in his interview they said he'd become a fully qualified electrician so it mustn't be a desk based job?
Lvjamestervl coukd I ask a few questions?
Firstly on my contract it says I am placed in Liverpool will that be my area after the training at yarn field?

Secondly I received an email telling me I MAY have to do up to 10 weeks of training at yarn field? Is that the case?

Thirdly I have a holiday booked for 6th December that was booked in February would I get it off?
Fourthly how much have you enjoyed the apprenticeship and would you recommend?

So many questions sorry
Reply 148
Lvjamestervl coukd I ask a few questions?
Firstly on my contract it says I am placed in Liverpool will that be my area after the training at yarn field?

Secondly I received an email telling me I MAY have to do up to 10 weeks of training at yarn field? Is that the case?

Thirdly I have a holiday booked for 6th December that was booked in February would I get it off?
Fourthly how much have you enjoyed the apprenticeship and would you recommend?

So many questions sorry

Hi Adam, I'm sure James will be along shortly, but thought Id reply in the mean time.

I'm just coming to the end of my first year as an apprentice for TSO which is another business within BT. It sounds like you are perhaps joining in a field role for Openreach? In answer to your questions:

1) Liverpool will be your patch if you are mobile, or one of the main buildings will be your headquarters if you are in an office based role.

2) Openreach do a long stretch at Yarnfield of initial training however all your meals and accommodation is provided. If you don't have a company vehicle straight away you can also claim mileage / travel receipts.

3) So long as you have informed HR of pre booked holiday at the point of offer of contract that will be fine. If you haven't let them know asap!

4) I have absolutely loved my apprenticeship so far and really don't have a single bad word to say about my job or my team. It can sometimes be tricky to get courses booked and as with any huge organisation as there are a few different teams who are responsible for your development there can be some confusion as to who is the right person to get help from, but it's a brilliant company with lots of opportunity. The employee perks are none too shabby either!
Thanks for taking time to reply! Also what days are the apprenticeship or are they different every year?
Reply 150
Thanks for taking time to reply! Also what days are the apprenticeship or are they different every year?

The vast majority of roles are 5 days a week, but some are 4 depending on how long your days are.
Do you usually work weekends on apprenticeship?
Original post by ichak
Not a engineering apprenticeship, I was on the advanced business and IT stream.

Graduated last year into a 3rd line team within IT support.

It was hard work but really worth it. Any questions just shout.

how much did you get paid when you were apprentice and how much do you get paid now?
Original post by Hughes12
I start week after you!

I'm starting on the 21st too! Also in the Stoke area :smile:
Reply 154
Do you usually work weekends on apprenticeship?

Are you working for Openreach?
Sorry for the late reply, wouldn't let it send before...
Lvjamestervl coukd I ask a few questions?Firstly on my contract it says I am placed in Liverpool will that be my area after the training at yarn field?Secondly I received an email telling me I MAY have to do up to 10 weeks of training at yarn field? Is that the case?Thirdly I have a holiday booked for 6th December that was booked in February would I get it off?Fourthly how much have you enjoyed the apprenticeship and would you recommend?So many questions sorry
What role are you?Yes you may have to do all 10 weeks, it depends on what they want to train you on.Yes if you have a holiday booked just let them know, and you will get it off. If you have any trouble with this just go and see the guy in charge of training at Yarnfield, as I know he sorted it for someone in my group.And I'd recommend the apprentiship to anybody, the fact that you can be left alone all day and work by yourself is a bonus, but all the help and support is there too.

As for your question about working weekends, no you don't have to, I never have, but you can volunteer for weekend work (time and a half pay), you can also work later than your finish time in the evening for overtime (you basically finish at any time you want (after 3:10).

Normal working days are Monday to Friday, 7:45 - 4:10 (7:45 isn't when you have to be at your first job, you just have to be in your van by then)
Yeah I had it through last week :-) I had an email today saying I'd also have a conference call the week before we start to ask any questions
Thanks for your response James really appreciate it ! Just want to get started now!

And mistahbenneh when's your start date?
Thanks for your response James really appreciate it ! Just want to get started now!

And mistahbenneh when's your start date?

I start on the 21st of September at Yarnfield :smile:
Reply 159
Hi Matt, I attended my engineering HUB day 5 weeks ago on Tuesday and still haven't heard anything. Do you know the right place I can contact them to chase them up?

Kind regards

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending