The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by ebam_uk
Well which module did you not do any work in - if it was 3E10? I am guessing there wasn't a huge amount to learn for that module tbh...

What modules are you most worried about, because I didn't get examples papers for 1 of my modules ( Construction and Management - hence didnt do any work for it in 1st term). I guess we are in the same boat :s-smilie:

I think I didn't do much work in 2nd term tbh either, I reckon a lot of engineering such as structural mechanics is based on intuition and knowing how to work through non-standard geometries... ie a lot of people who do alright are just good at exams etc.

Heh, 3A1 :p: 3E10 and 3E2 are fine... except that they're marked to a curve, so I'm competing against the people who can be bothered to look up the words that mean common sense. I'm worried about Fluids 1 and Fluids 2, which I could get a 2:2 in or could fail depending on what questions come up, Materials and Machine Design. The rest should be OK.
Reply 41
Original post by Melz0r

Original post by Melz0r
I always want exams in interesting places (random churches/Guildhall/Senate House), mine are always in the Sidgwick Lecture Block which is both depressingly familiar AND super-uncomfortable.

Having it in a church is a bit eery. I've liked the ones in the Corn Exchange, because it feels like a proper exam hall for some reason. Also, for both first and second year, I had my last exams there, so I always associate it with finishing exam season :biggrin: I don't think I could go to a gig there without feeling weird though.
Original post by jjarvis
Jesus wept...

...?

Mocking isn't nice :frown:

I'm panicking horribly about international law... I keep trying to fool myself that I have more time than I do.
Reply 43
Original post by ukebert
Heh, 3A1 :p: 3E10 and 3E2 are fine... except that they're marked to a curve, so I'm competing against the people who can be bothered to look up the words that mean common sense. I'm worried about Fluids 1 and Fluids 2, which I could get a 2:2 in or could fail depending on what questions come up, Materials and Machine Design. The rest should be OK.

I guess 3A1/A3 the double modules are particularly trickt, I didnt really like fluids last year hence didnt continue it.

I got 3d3 (structures) eeK, just hope I dont make too many mistakes... the trouble is I really need to be able to think outside the box and make the right assumptions! Its tricky fullstop!

Are 3E10, really marked against the bell curve? U mean that if everyone does really well we just get penalised...
Reply 44
Original post by gethsemane342
...?

I'm panicking horribly about international law... I keep trying to fool myself that I have more time than I do.

I think he meant that it was pretty harsh of your tutors to say so.

(Either that or he's got it in for you since you encouraged me to steal his vases...)
Reply 45
Original post by gethsemane342
...?

Original post by Tortious
I think he meant that it was pretty harsh of your tutors to say so.

(Either that or he's got it in for you since you encouraged me to steal his vases...)

Entirely right there Tortious. It was an exclamation about unpleasant tutors, not a statement about your academic abilities! (I wouldn't impugn anyone else's performance on law exams, given that I have yet to sit any, and I certainly wouldn't impugn your generally solid performance! :tongue:)
Original post by jjarvis
Entirely right there Tortious. It was an exclamation about unpleasant tutors, not a statement about your academic abilities! (I wouldn't impugn anyone else's performance on law exams, given that I have yet to sit any, and I certainly wouldn't impugn your generally solid performance! :tongue:)

Oh right. Heh, guess I'm just stressed :tongue:

To be fair, none of them were actually unpleasant and the first one actually thought I might get a 2.1. They just ... didn't have much faith in my abilities :wink:

(That being said, after the encouraging third comment, I went on to confess that I didn't understand his subject and hadn't understood any of it since Supervision 1. He didn't know quite what to say to this. I spent the rest of the day wondering what possessed me to confess. I blame the concussion I'd given myself 2 hours before)
Reply 47
Original post by Tortious
I genuinely laughed out loud. :lol:

It actually is a true likeness of how I approach my essays. I even had a moment like that over my dissertation one night last week, I've been putting it off and putting it off and then ended up in a chocolate induced stupor despairing on my sofa.

Original post by Melz0r
I always want exams in interesting places (random churches/Guildhall/Senate House), mine are always in the Sidgwick Lecture Block which is both depressingly familiar AND super-uncomfortable.

It's the way the benches are tilted at an odd angle and the desks are all too narrow and at an unnatural height. Great for keeping you awake in lectures, not so great for moments of inspiration in exams.

EDIT: It appears I have been negged for starting this thread by someone random. Clearly I was stressing them out or something :p:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 48
All of my exams so far have been in the same place, Lecture Theatre 4 in the Engineering department. Since people will be having lectures in department whilst we have exams, this year I'm in New Museums. The one today (ARGH), which is in the afternoon is in the Arts School, which I have a vague understanding of where it is, due to me asking around. After that they are all in the Examination Halls in New Museums, which sounds very grand but I don't know where they are.
Reply 49
Good luck engineers! :party:
Reply 50
Original post by Zoedotdot
It actually is a true likeness of how I approach my essays. I even had a moment like that over my dissertation one night last week, I've been putting it off and putting it off and then ended up in a chocolate induced stupor despairing on my sofa.

It's the way the benches are tilted at an odd angle and the desks are all too narrow and at an unnatural height. Great for keeping you awake in lectures, not so great for moments of inspiration in exams.

EDIT: It appears I have been negged for starting this thread by someone random. Clearly I was stressing them out or something :p:

Last year I remember being curled up in really odd positions trying to be comfy... d'you think you're allowed to bring pillows to exams, as long as they're not pillows with vocab on them?

Random about the neg...
Reply 51
Original post by Melz0r
Last year I remember being curled up in really odd positions trying to be comfy... d'you think you're allowed to bring pillows to exams, as long as they're not pillows with vocab on them?

Random about the neg...

Considering we had to put our bottles of water on the floor in some of our exams last year I doubt it. I always end up with a dead leg because I am most comfortable when sitting on my feet but those benches are unnaturally unyielding...
Reply 52
Original post by Zoedotdot

I've got a couple of negs for my first post in camchat who must have been randoms :rolleyes:

Yes good luck engineers!!
Reply 53
Original post by smilepea
I've got a couple of negs for my first post in camchat who must have been randoms :rolleyes:

Yes good luck engineers!!

It was 0 anyway so I'm not bothered :p:
Reply 54
:cry:

I can't do revision this morning for this exam. I might go through my notes a bit... I dunno, I should have slept in or something, I don't know what I'm going to do for the next 5 hours...
Reply 55
Original post by ukebert

I can't do revision this morning for this exam. I might go through my notes a bit... I dunno, I should have slept in or something, I don't know what I'm going to do for the next 5 hours...

Drink tea? But like caffeine free tea. Also do you know where you're going? If not I can attempt to describe where the arts school is...
Reply 56
Original post by ukebert

Go for breakfast somewhere, take a book and RELAX. Or play some instruments for a bit or something. Just take time out :smile:
Reply 57
Original post by smilepea
Drink tea? But like caffeine free tea. Also do you know where you're going? If not I can attempt to describe where the arts school is...

Don't like tea :frown: I think I'll sort out money, go shopping for food (I have none), buy stationery, etc. I never have a pencil sharpener come exam term, but as soon as I get back home I'll be finding them everywhere. At least this year I've kept the red pens!
Reply 58
Original post by ukebert
Don't like tea :frown: I think I'll sort out money, go shopping for food (I have none), buy stationery, etc. I never have a pencil sharpener come exam term, but as soon as I get back home I'll be finding them everywhere. At least this year I've kept the red pens!

Sounds like a plan :smile:
Urgh, exam this afternoon and I feel so ill. I spent last night taking care of my best friend who was chucking up everywhere, thinking he had food poisoning. It turns out he has a virus, and may well have given it to me. I really hope I'm not sick on my examiners later...