The Student Room Group

I don't know what to do :'(

Hey guys, I've just got my AS results back and they are awful! :frown:
I've got a C in Maths, C in physics, D in Biology and E in Chemistry! :frown:

A quick story of my life:

I've been caring for my mum during my AS year, as she's got cancer. Before the exams, she's been reported with uncontrollable cancer cell growth in her brain and lungs and has been given a prediction of 3-6 months of surival. :frown:
I'm the only one in the family who is aware of the severe situation because I accidentally read a letter for my mum coming from the GP.
For the sake of not getting everyone at home worried and especially to prevent making things worse for my mum, I've kept the grief in me and I'm just "living with it".
My brother has finished his A2 year now, and he will be taking a gap year. He will take over the caring from me, and so this will allow me to work hard on my A2's.

Now, my plan for my second year goes as follows:

1. I'm going to retake all my AS modules in January.
2. Start doing my intensive revision for my A2 exams in July straight after my January exams.

Do you guys think it is possible for me to go by this plan and end up with all A's?
I want to apply for medicine.
Do you think it is worth applying for a medical course this year? If yes, what uni? If no, why?
And finally... will any administrations care about my situation?

I hope to hear from someone soon! I really need some advice :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure, but I do think you should do medicine and get a high end job. I wish you the very best and I hope you get straight As.

Do your mother proud :')

Good Luck and I'm so sorry about the position you're in!
Reply 2
By the way - can't you take out a year off and send it with your mother? :x
Reply 3
Resitting all of your As's in January may be a bit much, I would consider retaking the year
Reply 4
it is possible to get all As if you work hard, then just apply for medicine after college so you don't have to depend on predicted grades, I doubt you could put enough work in while you are caring for your mother though, can't you take time out or get help from someone else in your family
Original post by Jonesdawiz
By the way - can't you take out a year off and send it with your mother? :x

Maybe you should consider this. No medical school is going to look down on you for having a year out because of this.

I hope you're okay, it's terrible what you're having to go through. Best wishes x
Let your school/college staff know! If you don't have 'mitigating circumstances' nobody does!
Also, the support you're giving your mum could be mentioned in you PS demonstrating your understanding of your chosen career from a differnet angle than most applicants (hard as it is, I'm sure it is developing your skills of empathy & understanding of how the profession works).

Good luck to you! Tigger
Reply 7

I'm not sure, but I do think you should do medicine and get a high end job. I wish you the very best and I hope you get straight As.

Do your mother proud :')

Good Luck and I'm so sorry about the position you're in!

Thanks JonesDawiz. This means a lot
Reply 8
University isn't for everyone.
Reply 9
Isn't it unacceptable for Medicine to complete my A Levels in 3 years though?
+ Would it be frowned up on if I retake modules?

Thanks for your sympathy and advices guys, it really has made me more confident to do this
Reply 10
Original post by Otkem
University isn't for everyone.

I agree, but it is for me...
Reply 11
You CAN resit your AS exams in Jan do so! take all the chances/opportunities u can of being to sit the exam :smile:
Split the jan resit exams like in easy and hard ones so u aint doing all the hard ones in one go. for your A2 mke books as u go along in lessons on the day so tht in easter u can jus read the bks and do qs ...for the jan exams obv revise in oct/nov

mke sure u do your personal statement NOW so u can apply in sept = shw determination to unis, phone unis constantly tlk to them about your situation wht options r there ..other courses tht might allow u into becoming a doc :smile:

mke sure u hve extra curricular activities-strt volunteering-future university, mke a record of achievement with all your certificates and use the fact tht u hve helpd your mum = demonstrates hw caring u r ...asking a lot of qs lets them knw tht u knw wht u r tlkin about and u r interested - it happend to me :smile:

and even if u do get rejects thts the worst tht can happen ..and if u do gd on results day u can always phone em up and say i gt this tho will u accept me nw ?

WORK HARD -EVEN IF IT MEANSS HARDLY ANY SOCIAL LIFE
Reply 12
Original post by aal01
I agree, but it is for me...

Do you have exceptional GCSEs?

You could phone a medical school and ask them?
Reply 13
Original post by aal01
Hey guys, I've just got my AS results back and they are awful! :frown:
I've got a C in Maths, C in physics, D in Biology and E in Chemistry! :frown:

A quick story of my life:

I've been caring for my mum during my AS year, as she's got cancer. Before the exams, she's been reported with uncontrollable cancer cell growth in her brain and lungs and has been given a prediction of 3-6 months of surival. :frown:
I'm the only one in the family who is aware of the severe situation because I accidentally read a letter for my mum coming from the GP.
For the sake of not getting everyone at home worried and especially to prevent making things worse for my mum, I've kept the grief in me and I'm just "living with it".
My brother has finished his A2 year now, and he will be taking a gap year. He will take over the caring from me, and so this will allow me to work hard on my A2's.

Now, my plan for my second year goes as follows:

1. I'm going to retake all my AS modules in January.
2. Start doing my intensive revision for my A2 exams in July straight after my January exams.

Do you guys think it is possible for me to go by this plan and end up with all A's?
I want to apply for medicine.
Do you think it is worth applying for a medical course this year? If yes, what uni? If no, why?
And finally... will any administrations care about my situation?

I hope to hear from someone soon! I really need some advice :frown:

I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

If you really think you can understand the principles of Physics and the other subjects you are doing, then certainly you can get As in all of them. The only way I think it would be hard is if you don't understand certain aspects fully, which will then cause confusion or make it difficult if the questions are slightly 'different'. So, intensive revision would only be helpful if you think you can understand everything quickly.

All the best!
Reply 14
Original post by shreyli
You CAN resit your AS exams in Jan do so! take all the chances/opportunities u can of being to sit the exam :smile:
Split the jan resit exams like in easy and hard ones so u aint doing all the hard ones in one go. for your A2 mke books as u go along in lessons on the day so tht in easter u can jus read the bks and do qs ...for the jan exams obv revise in oct/nov

mke sure u do your personal statement NOW so u can apply in sept = shw determination to unis, phone unis constantly tlk to them about your situation wht options r there ..other courses tht might allow u into becoming a doc :smile:

mke sure u hve extra curricular activities-strt volunteering-future university, mke a record of achievement with all your certificates and use the fact tht u hve helpd your mum = demonstrates hw caring u r ...asking a lot of qs lets them knw tht u knw wht u r tlkin about and u r interested - it happend to me :smile:

and even if u do get rejects thts the worst tht can happen ..and if u do gd on results day u can always phone em up and say i gt this tho will u accept me nw ?

WORK HARD -EVEN IF IT MEANSS HARDLY ANY SOCIAL LIFE

My plan is to actually do both AS and A2 exams in my A2 year. So in January I'll be finished with my AS exams, and then in July I'll be sitting my A2 exams, so I can't really split the exams other then that. AS in Jan & A2 in July.
I have a lot of extra curricular activities, workexperiences, voluntary work. I even set up an NHS stop smoking clinic in my college. When it comes to the hobbies and all that, I think I am sorted. It's just my grades really...
I know that I will be required to give up my social life during this year, but I am more than happy to do so!

Thanks a lot for this! Again, this is all making me so much confident about this year, and making want to work so hard to achieve my goals.

I hope things are going well for you too. If you need any advice yourself let me know.
Reply 15
Do you have exceptional GCSEs?

You could phone a medical school and ask them?

Yes I do. I think I am sorted with everything else, including workexperience ect. My only issues are my AS grades.
Reply 16
Original post by aal01
Yes I do. I think I am sorted with everything else, including workexperience ect. My only issues are my AS grades.

Call a medical school, tell them your GCSEs and see if you get some sort of arrangement with them.
Reply 17
Call a medical school, tell them your GCSEs and see if you get some sort of arrangement with them.

Thanks, I think that would be a good next step.
Reply 18
Hi!

I understand the situation you are in. Two years ago, just before my AS year was about to begin, my dad was diagnosed with cancer. I was upset, however I just assumed that he would recover and everything would be fine. I then got ABBB in my AS's. I wanted to study Optometry in University which required AAB, so I decided to apply for that course, thinking that I could bump my grades up by repeating some exams and then working extra hard. However, just before my A2's were about to begin in May, I was told that the cancer was terminal and he wouldn't have long left, which really shook me up, because I wasn't expecting to hear that. I got counselling from my school and got special circumstances for my exams and tried to work as hard as I could.

Also, my UCAS referee, who also happened to be the VP of my school mentioned my situation in my reference, which I think really helped to get my offers.

In the end I got AAA at A level and have received a place to study Optometry. If you work hard and remain positive, I reckon you will have a great chance of getting to where you want to be!!

Good Luck and keep strong!!
Reply 19
Hey guys...
I'm sorry for the late reply, but I thought I'd update you about my decision.
I've chosen to do AS again at my college. All the teachers said they'd support me in getting into medical school by writing me a great reference, mentioning my situation. Brian & Sussex university even recommended me doing AS again. So, here I am now... halfway AS, and it's going good.

Unfortunately, my mum is deteriorating in a hospice right now...and she doesn't have much left. :'(
My family and I are going through some horrible times right now... and we're just doing our best to keep things together and to move on, what ever happens. I just really hope my education doesn't get too much affected.

Oh and happy new year to you all. Hope this year will be a more succesful year, full of uni offers perhaps? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest