The Student Room Group

What do you want to know about Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by alexsasg
I'm afraid I haven't! Wow, clearly there is some evident rivalry with St. Johns...I'm guessing you're a Trinity student?

Not necessarily, everyone hates Oxford John's.
Okay, cool :smile: How exactly do swaps work/who organises them? This might sound silly, but do you get the pick the college which you'll go to during the swap, or is it randomly allocated?

Swaps are organised by societies you join, either by their president or social sec. There are also international swaps, which aren't really a society ... They are arranged so that you are going to a particular college / going with people from a particular college to a curry house or whatever. Most swaps that freshers go on are with fresher drinking societies (in my experience) which are started by the bravest freshers in the first few weeks and tend to be pretty open.
Okay, cool :smile: How exactly do swaps work/who organises them? This might sound silly, but do you get the pick the college which you'll go to during the swap, or is it randomly allocated?

You just choose what college to go with and organise it yourself.

"Swap" is a pretty broad term I suppose. There are swaps between drinking societies (one male / one female), but you can also just arrange other swaps for example between the people doing the same subject at different colleges.
I'm afraid I haven't! Wow, clearly there is some evident rivalry with St. Johns...I'm guessing you're a Trinity student?

No, Emmanuel :tongue: It's a case of everyone vs. St. John's but Trinity especially so.
Reply 224
how sporty is emmanual considered to be?
Reply 225
which of these colleges is the best at sport?
Gonville and Caius; King's; Queens'; Magdalene; Trinity; St John's; or Clare?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mevidek

Original post by mevidek
Gonville and Caius; King's; Queen's; Magdalen; Trinity; St John's; or Clare?

"Magdalen" is in Oxford. Magdalene College is in Cambridge!
Original post by mevidek
Gonville and Caius; King's; Queen's; Magdalen; Trinity; St John's; or Clare?

Queen's is Oxford as well.

Queens' is Cambridge. :p:

John's is pretty sporty.
Reply 228
"Magdalen" is in Oxford. Magdalene College is in Cambridge!

oops :redface:

Original post by Chief Wiggum
Queen's is Oxford as well.

Queens' is Cambridge. :p:

John's is pretty sporty.

Well each year in your college will have a "drinking society" which somebody just sort of randomly organises and you get invited into it. At my college there is no real discrimination who is allowed in them basically if you ask the organiser and you are willing to go out then you are allowed in most of the time. So there is a boy's one and a girl's one and whatever people you meet from other colleges you just sort of organise a swap it could be with whatever college you want. You can even do a swap with teh 2nd or 3rd years at your own college to get to know them better. Basically most of the time, you go to the Majal (disgracefully bad food but amazingly fun they let you do whatever you want) or go to a formal hall and then you head out to Cindies/Lola Lo/ Life

I've had a great time on all my swaps so I recommend you go to loads in your first term!! it's all organised by students so you just pick whatever college you want really

Ohhhh yeah there are also swaps with other societies for example sports societies or swaps with people who do the same course as you so e.g. Emma lawyers and Clare lawyers
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 230
Original post by mevidek
Gonville and Caius; King's; Queen's; Magdalene; Trinity; St John's; or Clare?

Very subjective, but Trinity and Johns imo.
Can you play basketball at Cambridge ?
Reply 232
Oh another question about Sport, is the ice hockey team made up of students from all different colleges? As in not an intercollegiate league but university league?
Original post by mevidek
Oh another question about Sport, is the ice hockey team made up of students from all different colleges? As in not an intercollegiate league but university league?

Presumably, I don't think you'd get enough interest for each college to have an icehockey team.
Reply 234
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Presumably, I don't think you'd get enough interest for each college to have an icehockey team.

Oh, okay :smile:

Ice Hockey is my favourite sport and I used to play so I'd probably join the university team
Original post by Xristina
hm yeah I also think that maybe putting Clare as my second choice is not wise. I might choose another B college. I prefer Pembroke cause I've heard good things about it (esp. for Classics) + it has a scholarship for people from my country, but Clare does look beautiful.

lol which reminds me that last year I put as my first choice Corpus Christi and as my second one St John's. I guess that was silly. Hm...any comments about Corpus Christi? Maybe I should put that as my second...

Have you seen the advice I gave to Lyceum in the GOGsoc thread for this? It was quite detailed :p:
Basically ukdragon is right. Ignore the whole 'Trinity/John's is the best' rumour because that's bullcrap. They are big and rich, but lots of other colleges are also rich and old and pretty, and the size of the graduate community and attitude that the college has to students are also very important. If you'd like to know about any particular features of particular colleges there's a subforum attached to this one filled with threads for Cambridge colleges where students in those colleges can answer your questions.
Original post by ukdragon37
4. That depends on how much emphasis you put on work and how much you are willing to put in. Even for maths this varies. 2 to 3 hours a day at least besides lectures and supervisions is what I've seen commonly of mathmos, but that's only for example sheets. As a mathmo you have the singular pleasure of writing out and organising your own lecture notes and a lot of people spend time doing just that.

This surprised me - even adding on ~1 hour (?) of lectures a day, plus a supervision, that's no more than the 6 hours of work I do at school!

I was expecting the average maths workload to be a little higher... can anyone comment? :confused: I know it depends on how well you take to the course and a whole host of other factors. I'm just wondering how it is 'on average' :smile:
Reply 237
Anything specific to Cambridge that anyone would recommend me taking to university in October?
Reply 238
Original post by deejayy
4. How many hours a day will I work on average (specifically for maths)?

Original post by ukdragon37
4. That depends on how much emphasis you put on work and how much you are willing to put in. Even for maths this varies. 2 to 3 hours a day at least besides lectures and supervisions is what I've seen commonly of mathmos, but that's only for example sheets. As a mathmo you have the singular pleasure of writing out and organising your own lecture notes and a lot of people spend time doing just that.

I didn't notice that you'd said this when I made my last reply!

Deary me, if you can get by on just doing 3 hours per day outside of lectures and supervisions, you must either already know and be competent in the stuff, or a genius. Perhaps you can get away with it in the 1st term of 1st year. I put in 5-6 hours per day outside of lectures and supervisions, and even then I struggle to meet supervision deadlines!

(Also FAO:)
Original post by Xero Xenith
This surprised me - even adding on ~1 hour (?) of lectures a day, plus a supervision, that's no more than the 6 hours of work I do at school!

I was expecting the average maths workload to be a little higher... can anyone comment? :confused: I know it depends on how well you take to the course and a whole host of other factors. I'm just wondering how it is 'on average' :smile:

See above. In 1st year maths there are 2 supervisions per day for 6 days per week, and then 2nd/3rd year are roughly similar depending on your options (people usually do more I think).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 239
Original post by Xero Xenith

I think what he said sounds about right. You get 2 hours of supervisions a week, 2 one hour long lectures six days a week, then about 30 hours on example sheets. Add in say 6 hours on sorting your notes and reading over them and that works out as roughly 7 hours a day. Of course that is every day, Thursday (the start of the week in Cambridge) through Wednesday. I would say from what I have seen most people do about this much, some a lot more, some a lot less :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending