The Student Room Group
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe

Bucks New Uni Accommadation

I have an unconditional from Bucks new uni to start in September, and i had a look at the halls online and they look pretty grim inside.. so i'm just wondering if anyone knows if they actually are or not?

also, the idea of halls puts me off a bit, cause what if you dont get on with/have anything in common with anyone in your flat? i wanna find people first that have the same interests/music taste as me and see if we can be put together, does this appeal to anyone? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey im also going Bucks new uni in sept and will be staying in halls, what course are you going to be studying?

I totally agree the halls themselves look a bit shabby but i guess a lot of them are at most unis, i don't even know how we go about app;lying for halls i see no info about it on the bucks website hmmm x
Student in halls, Buckinghamshire New University
Buckinghamshire New University
High Wycombe
Reply 2
Original post by LOTS!
I have an unconditional from Bucks new uni to start in September, and i had a look at the halls online and they look pretty grim inside.. so i'm just wondering if anyone knows if they actually are or not?

also, the idea of halls puts me off a bit, cause what if you dont get on with/have anything in common with anyone in your flat? i wanna find people first that have the same interests/music taste as me and see if we can be put together, does this appeal to anyone? :biggrin:

Unless they ask on the accommodation form what interests you have then it will be random as to who you live with, however the purpose of societies is to unite people with similar interests. also from the vids ive seen on youtube the halls look on the nice side as far as uni halls go.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
Hi I'm a BNU student, one of the halls (brooke street) is pretty grim inside, but i have seen worse halls, the other halls (hughenden) are alot nicer as they are fairly new, but obviously a bit more pricey.. not quite sure how you apply for halls, as i have never lived in them, but the selection is random, and you only qualify for halls if you dont live within a certain radius of the university.
Reply 4
Original post by cuddles050
Hey im also going Bucks new uni in sept and will be staying in halls, what course are you going to be studying?

I totally agree the halls themselves look a bit shabby but i guess a lot of them are at most unis, i don't even know how we go about app;lying for halls i see no info about it on the bucks website hmmm x

I'm studying Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training, what about you?

Yeah i wasn't sure how to go about applying either.. :\ x
Reply 5
i'm going bucks too :biggrin: i'm studying Advertising Management and Digital Communications.. and i have no idea how to apply for accommodation.. but some1 did tell me they send u an application form around September..ish - probs coz they wanna b sure u got the grades.. hope that helps.. n hopefully i'll see ya'll there!
Reply 6
hmm, it's deffo something i'll have to ask about at the open day on wednesday! I'll let you know what they say unless you're all going anyways :wink:
Reply 7
Im studying Event and Festival management! yess please ask at the open day would be good to know! :biggrin:
wow it will be a bit late if we don't hear about accom until sept, bearing in mind thats when we start haha xx
Reply 8
Original post by SpAP
Hi I'm a BNU student, one of the halls (brooke street) is pretty grim inside, but i have seen worse halls, the other halls (hughenden) are alot nicer as they are fairly new, but obviously a bit more pricey.. not quite sure how you apply for halls, as i have never lived in them, but the selection is random, and you only qualify for halls if you dont live within a certain radius of the university.

hey thanks for the info. how u finding bucks? are you in your first year? is the night life as terrible as i hear?! i have heard that some people go for watford for nights out though
Reply 9
hey thanks for the info. how u finding bucks? are you in your first year? is the night life as terrible as i hear?! i have heard that some people go for watford for nights out though

Yeah I am a first year, I'm finding bucks alright, its quite a nice little uni, if you like that kind of thing..

yes the nightlife probably is as terrible as you have heard, we have two main club nights on a monday and tuesday (yates and pure) and the su occasionally has some good nights (free entry and cheap drinks is always a bonus) ..

not really too sure on the whole going away on nights out thing, there are sometimes deals including coaches and entry ect in london or something like that...

However if you want good nights out at the uni, joining a sports society is probably best!!
Reply 10
Im studying Event and Festival management! yess please ask at the open day would be good to know! :biggrin:
wow it will be a bit late if we don't hear about accom until sept, bearing in mind thats when we start haha xx

i asked the accommodation people and they said that they'll send through information on Halls in good time of starting in september.. a bit vague i know!! they also said that people are picked randomley but if there's people you want to share with you have to cross reference eachother and you'll be put together :smile: p.s. brook street looks griiiimm, and the flat sizes are 6-10 people sharing!! Hughenden accommodation looks so much nice and thats only up to 6 people in a flat, plus the walls are actually plastered in these halls, not just white wash brick! :biggrin: yay :P pahahaha.. hope this heeeeeelpppppsss :biggrin:

(sorry for the REAALLY late reply too :colondollar:)
Original post by LOTS!
I'm studying Air Transport with Commercial Pilot Training, what about you?

Yeah i wasn't sure how to go about applying either.. :\ x

Hi guys, Im interested in becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot, so may I ask, what grades did you get at GCSE and A-level?? pleaseee, thanks ! xx
Reply 12
Mate of mine goes to bucks, the halls are ****ing ****holes, but no more **** than any other halls I've been in.
Reply 13
Original post by Student_Health
Hi guys, Im interested in becoming a Commercial Airline Pilot, so may I ask, what grades did you get at GCSE and A-level?? pleaseee, thanks ! xx

For the course that i'm on, it was compulsory to get Cs and above in GCSE Maths English and Science.. as for A-levels they said it wasnt subject specific as long as you had 240 UCAS points (which is like 3 Cs at A-level)

hope this helps :biggrin: xxxx
Hi there! :smile:
I'm a second year student a bucks! Just wanted to let you know that along with Brook street and Hughenden we now also have Alexandra Park. These used to be a hotel, and only changed to halls this year. It is literally on uni's doorstep!! Look up Queen Alexandra hospital and you'll see it opposite. Additionally, you can go into a HTS house, which is basically a house that you rent from you, and they act as the middle man between you and the landlord. I did this last year, my house was grim! But I know of others who had lovely houses, its just a luck of the draw I guess!! You should receive your options pack pretty soon, I think people got theirs just after Easter if I recall correctly? I went through clearing, so never got one! :frown:

Yes the nightlife is pretty ****e. But theres Revs in beconsfield which is lush, and only about £8 for a taxi, so between a few not that bad! Also, Reading, Kingston and Windsor are not that far either, and they all have brilliant nights out.

Hope this helps! :smile:
I've to an unconditional offer for performing arts. Still debating on owning here. It doesn't seem vibrant.
Original post by LOTS!
hmm, it's deffo something i'll have to ask about at the open day on wednesday! I'll let you know what they say unless you're all going anyways :wink:

Can you let me know how you found the Uni/Town if you went?

I've applied but havent visited
Reply 17
I have an unconditional for business management and I have stayed at friends halls before and they were grimm so these don't look too bad but hoping to get in hughenden halls. Does anyone know when we apply for accommodation and how much it costs??
Hi guys I go to bucks already, yeah it's true Brooke Street aren't the greatest but you are freshers so I wouldn't worry too much. Hughenden Halls are pretty nice and they are currently building a new set of halls for this year so those will be available as well :smile: x
Reply 19
Accommodation: You have to live outside a 25 mile radius in order to be given "priority" for halls. It's based on a first come and first served basis. Students in the care system are given priority. Best advice? Apply as soon as possible!! If you hang around, you'll miss the boat and trust me, the estate agents are useless!

Brook Street: Cheapest accommodation. Pretty small rooms but manageable. About a 3/5 min walk from uni. Flats of 8-10 people. Often known as the "party" halls and wouldn't recommend if you want to hide away.

Hughenden: Pricier accommodation. Rooms are a luxury size by halls student. About 20 min walk from town or a FREE bus straight outside halls which goes straight into/through town. The last bus is normally 10:30pm. Flats of max 6 people. Very clean and often a lot quieter than Brook Street. It's great if you like your space from town but it's not that hard to get back into town.

I've lived in both halls (as a Senior Resident) so feel free to ask me questions! I'm pretty clued up on halls :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest