The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

The Official Glasgow Applicants 2012 Thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by grazie
Good news. I've applied for G100 too, so it could mean I won't have to wait too much longer.

Fingers crossed! Good luck!!
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Where do I start?!
Applied for:
English Literature/Latin (QQ3P)
Comparative Literature/Central & East European Studies (RQ28)
Central & East European Studies/English Literature (RQ7J)
Comparative Literature/Latin (QQF6)
Scottish Literature/Sociology (LQ32)

Still haven't heard anything back yet :frown:
Original post by mellitus94
Where do I start?!
Applied for:
English Literature/Latin (QQ3P)
Comparative Literature/Central & East European Studies (RQ28)
Central & East European Studies/English Literature (RQ7J)
Comparative Literature/Latin (QQF6)
Scottish Literature/Sociology (LQ32)

Still haven't heard anything back yet :frown:

Try not to worry too much. I have a friend who applied for pretty much the same course I did. She heard two days after sending, and I got mine over a month later, and another guy only got his yesterday.

I hope you hear back soon :smile:
Original post by Chihiro94
Try not to worry too much. I have a friend who applied for pretty much the same course I did. She heard two days after sending, and I got mine over a month later, and another guy only got his yesterday.

I hope you hear back soon :smile:

Aww thanks! What did you apply for? :smile:
Is there somebody else waiting for law?:frown:
Aww thanks! What did you apply for? :smile:

History (V100) :smile:

Does anyone know when you get to choose your two extra subjects?
History (V100) :smile:

Does anyone know when you get to choose your two extra subjects?

History sounds really interesting in the Glasgow prospectus :smile:

And I'm not sure when you get to pick your extra subjects, it's quite confusiing really! What if you put down a subject but they haven't got enough placements? Mind you, most of the arts courses sound great at glasgow, hence all the applications I made haha :smile:
History sounds really interesting in the Glasgow prospectus :smile:

And I'm not sure when you get to pick your extra subjects, it's quite confusiing really! What if you put down a subject but they haven't got enough placements? Mind you, most of the arts courses sound great at glasgow, hence all the applications I made haha :smile:

I know what you mean about the courses, I was having trouble choosing because so many sounded good. I'm still not sure between history and classics, but I have more experience of the former. :smile:

I know you can't choose honours pyschology unless you applied for it orignallly because it's so popular, but apart from that I have no idea. I guess you need to choose before classes start. Actually, another question I was wondering, ucas says the course starts on the 14th, but does that include freshers week or do you go up around the 7th?
Ooooh classics sounds good as well, I'd love to do Latin because I've done the standard grade and the higher and loved it. I'm sad that I didn't do history at school because the more I learn about the subject the more interesting it sounds :smile:

You also get the chance to change your mind after a while I think but obviously the later you leave it the more catch-up you have to do... And I'm not sure about when freshers is to be honest and some courses start at different dates :/ Anybody who could shed some light on this kind of thing would be be very helpful!
Ooooh classics sounds good as well, I'd love to do Latin because I've done the standard grade and the higher and loved it. I'm sad that I didn't do history at school because the more I learn about the subject the more interesting it sounds :smile:

You also get the chance to change your mind after a while I think but obviously the later you leave it the more catch-up you have to do... And I'm not sure about when freshers is to be honest and some courses start at different dates :/ Anybody who could shed some light on this kind of thing would be be very helpful!

I'd have loved to have done latin, but my school didn't offer it (or classics, but I've been doing an extended project on rome and greece and love it ) I'm kind of hoping that classics would mean I get a chance to learn latin as well. :smile: Can you take history at degree level without a higher? (no experience of the scottish school system)

I didn't know courses started at different times. I just assumed everyone was the 14th, well accept maybe medicene. :/
Reply 650
Original post by hannahbr
I know they mark soooo differently! I'm scared as to what will be considered a B! Just got my results today! Got two 15's for sociology and politics so I'm pretty happy about that! :smile: I have decided that if I can im 100% moving! Fingers crossed I'm ok! That's nice your parents came up! I came home for the weekend! Xxxx

Original post by WattJ
Looks like there are a few of us from Aberdeen then applying for Glasgow haha! I'm applying for first year at Glasgow too but for Classics (doing history right now). Just wondering if you've had any offers yet? I got an email a while ago saying that my application would be 'held' until March and the wait is killing me! My friends have already signed a lease on a flat for second year and are trying to get me to hurry up and sign but still waiting on either an offer or rejection from Glasgow :/ Have you applied anywhere else?

Ah, how come you're leaving? I've had offers from Glasgow and Strathclyde and I'm still waiting on Edinburgh, Dundee (they want me to get a refernce and a transcript?) and my other Glasgow (that's being held till August).
Do either of you know anything about false start years? Yesterday someone at the infohub said she thought saas wouldn't pay the fees for my last year because I'm doing the same course and you need to change to something really different like arts to a science. :/ Have either of you contacted saas about that? She said I should maybe phone Glasgow to see if I could go into second year instead and finish the course here.
Ahhh so confused. :frown:
Reply 651
I'd have loved to have done latin, but my school didn't offer it (or classics, but I've been doing an extended project on rome and greece and love it ) I'm kind of hoping that classics would mean I get a chance to learn latin as well. :smile: Can you take history at degree level without a higher? (no experience of the scottish school system)

I didn't know courses started at different times. I just assumed everyone was the 14th, well accept maybe medicene. :/

Hiya, I applied for Classics (also without Latin) - as far as I can make out, at pre-honours level there isn't any language element, but Latin and Greek are both separate options which don't require any previous language knowledge.
Hey has anyone applied for Philosophy?? I got a conditional a little while back :smile: just wondering who else is out there in the same boat :smile:

They're stopping latin at my school after this year but the only reason we had it in the first place was because there's one teacher who has been at the school for decades and she's the principal teacher of english, and she is the only one who takes latin and classics but they have to be in the same classroom and she takes us for half a period each. Your extended project thing sounds like a great experience and I'm sure you'd love doing latin :smile: And you can take the degree without doing the higher but because I've not had any experience doing it and already had so many other courses I was really interested in I just didn't apply for it :/

And yeah I think that its only one of mine that starts on the first rather than the 14th but I dont know if it gets any more varied than that :/
Has anybody Applied or heard back from Glasgow Caledonian University for child nursing... I still haven't heard anything... Getting nervous. :frown:
Reply 655
Got sent a link for Glasgow Visit Day today, not enough time to do everything ARGH!
Who else is going to the applicant's day? :smile:
Reply 657
Just got an offer for History + Psychology at Glasgow, so happy!! :biggrin: But I was wondering if any of you know whether the IB offers are out of 42 or 45? Or are they always out of 45 in every university unless they specify otherwise?
Got an offer to study English Literature :smile: Somebody else for this course? :>
Original post by SeverusSnape
Got an offer to study English Literature :smile: Somebody else for this course? :>

Not officially, but I'm considering taking it (though then it goes back to them all sounding good lol :P)

Congrats though, and to everyone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending