The Student Room Group

Fast Stream 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by charliemann
Just a quick question. Anyone applied for the Science and Engineering scheme heard back? Anyone have any idea if the pass mark is higher or lower than for CD?

I've applied for S&E and am still awaiting results (also for Central Departments). I've had a quick browse through past threads and there's next to no information as I only found one person who applied for it so no idea! (Sorry I realise this isn't very helpful but at least it may save you the time of doing the same :smile:).
i really dont want DWP or Inland Revenue. I'd prefer Education, Media, Culture and Sport, (does home office count as a central department, because if so, there) Dfid, or MoD. Hmm. Fingers crossed!
Yes Home Office is a central department. "Central Departments, an option that encompasses every major government department except the Foreign and Commonwealth Office." From the fast stream website.

I would be particularly keen on Cabinet Office, Home Office or Ministry of Justice.
Reply 1643
I'd be keen on MoD, DfID, and HO. But...to be honest I'd take what I'm offered unless it looked *absolutely* terrible. At the moment I'm working for a pretty large scale drinks manufacturer whilst finishing my LLM and tho I initially took it up for the extra cash it provides (having no interest in any of the areas it dealt with) over the course of the last few months I've grown to find the work pretty interesting, and really been able to get my teeth into it, despite not having the background knowledge or initial interest. I suppose to that end I should add DEFRA to the list above. :smile:
Original post by charliemann
Just a quick question. Anyone applied for the Science and Engineering scheme heard back? Anyone have any idea if the pass mark is higher or lower than for CD?

I applied for Science and Engineering, haven't heard yet, I wonder though if they also consider your application form as well as FSAC score before making an offer? There is a final selection stage listed on my application page but it's nothing we actually have to attend so I thought perhaps it is them looking over our application for relevance of our degree/experience.
Reply 1645
Original post by JustRollingAlong
I applied for Science and Engineering, haven't heard yet, I wonder though if they also consider your application form as well as FSAC score before making an offer? There is a final selection stage listed on my application page but it's nothing we actually have to attend so I thought perhaps it is them looking over our application for relevance of our degree/experience.

If they're following the same procedures across the board then I'd wager this isn't the case - the EFS has a final selection too, but they do this after FSAC results have been issued - it's a completely distinct stage of the process.
Another Science and Engineering applicant who hasn't heard back here! Seems there's quite a lot of us then. Wouldn't it be wonderful if the pass mark was lower than for CD :tongue: (almost definitely wishful thinking there I think!).

I agree with lm222, from what I can see you have to pass the FSAC stage and only then do they look at your application in the sift, probably to work out where you might fit in?
Finished the fsac and had an update on my account. Anyone know the difference between 'results progress' and 'awaiting results'.
Original post by richardp2020
Finished the fsac and had an update on my account. Anyone know the difference between 'results progress' and 'awaiting results'.

Do you have awaiting results under status and results progress under action?

If you have done your FSAC in the last few days it just means they are waiting to receive your results.

If you have had awaiting results/results progress for more than a week after your FSAC it means you probably haven't been immediately successful or unsuccessful and you are in the amber band and you need to wait possibly the final marks have been set at the end of this month/start of next month but keep checking it as if you were just under the immediate sucessful pass mark or just above the unsuccessful mark and they adjust the marks you may find out sooner (hope that made sense!)
Just had my FSAC.

Awful!!!
forgot to check! I'm out on centrals. Ah well ... enjoy yourselves those who got through!
Original post by lm222
If they're following the same procedures across the board then I'd wager this isn't the case - the EFS has a final selection too, but they do this after FSAC results have been issued - it's a completely distinct stage of the process.

You are quite possibly correct!
Original post by piemuncher3
forgot to check! I'm out on centrals. Ah well ... enjoy yourselves those who got through!

Commiserations!

I was in the same position as you (no DS, no HoP, waiting for CD) and I STILL haven't heard. Did you find out today? I'm sure you'll be successful if you (and overwhelmingly likely to be 'we'!) go for it again next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
going to visit my department tomorrow :smile: (Analytical stream is good finishing so early!)
Original post by ellejaytee
going to visit my department tomorrow :smile: (Analytical stream is good finishing so early!)

Very exciting! How long did it take you from finding out you were successful to actually getting a placement?
Reply 1655
Original post by F6053721
Just had my FSAC.

Awful!!!

you never know - I came out of mine thinking I'd failed based on a very awkward interview and terrible timing of the policy recommendation, but 3 weeks later, ta da. so don't stress it :smile: at least you'll find out quite soon, the waiting seems as tortuous as, if not more tortuous than, the testing itself.
I actually forgot to check after I got ruled out of DS and HOP on monday, seems the message came through on tuesday - so I guess that was another band narrowing.
Reply 1657
Original post by F6053721
Just had my FSAC.

Awful!!!

Same here, felt it all went horribly wrong. Not expecting much but u never know, hoping for the best. In all it was a good experience :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lm222
2 things - 1) you'll find out shortly its 2 role-playing exercises for DS

Yes, the FCO has made their FSB easier in the last few years - in that they no long include an economics test, a language aptitude test and a panel interview as part of the process - just the role-playing exercises..
Original post by bodman
Same here, felt it all went horribly wrong. Not expecting much but u never know, hoping for the best. In all it was a good experience :smile:

What group were you in?!

I thought we were supposed to "quite enjoy it"! Perhaps I'll feel that way upon reflection in a couple of days maybe!?!

Quick Reply

Latest