The Student Room Group

Which university to choose as my insurance?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by exam2k10
Damn. Isn't that a bad thing?

Why?
Reply 21
Original post by nulli tertius
Why?

Because my insurance might reject me as well if I narrowly miss their entry requirements.

My lowest offer is BBC, however, my insurance is going to be one of my other choices which want 360 UCAS points (INCLUDES AS- GOT 60 SO FAR :smile: JUST ANOTHER 300)
Reply 22
Damn. Isn't that a bad thing?

No, it won't affect any decision they make.
Reply 23
Because my insurance might reject me as well if I narrowly miss their entry requirements.

My lowest offer is BBC, however, my insurance is going to be one of my other choices which want 360 UCAS points (INCLUDES AS- GOT 60 SO FAR :smile: JUST ANOTHER 300)

Surely BBC is lower at 280 points? However if you prefer the 360 with already having an additional AS with 60, then if you think you can get BBB/ABC then go for it! Hope you get where you want. :smile:
Oh ok.

My second lowest offer which was 360 UCAS points accept points from the AS subjects I dropped as well :biggrin:. So I got 60 points last year since I took an additional two a-levels. I am now left with the possibilty of getting ABC or BBB. The question is what happens if I get BBC, for example?

Because then that would be 340 UCAS points??

Is this specified? Check it out. My friend assumed that his offer of 360 included AS grades, but when he checked again it said from three A levels. Just be certain before you do it, because you don't normally see one that specifies points including AS.
Reply 25
Original post by agoetcherian
Is this specified? Check it out. My friend assumed that his offer of 360 included AS grades, but when he checked again it said from three A levels. Just be certain before you do it, because you don't normally see one that specifies points including AS.

Good advice but I'm assuming that the offer is 360 from 3.5 A levels?
Original post by glf2110
Good advice but I'm assuming that the offer is 360 from 3.5 A levels?

That's my point. Don't assume. Check. If it says on your offer 'from three A levels' then it'll be from three, if it says including AS, then you're good, but if it says nothing, I'd assume only from 3 A levels, which is AAA...
Reply 27
That's my point. Don't assume. Check. If it says on your offer 'from three A levels' then it'll be from three, if it says including AS, then you're good, but if it says nothing, I'd assume only from 3 A levels, which is AAA...

Called them up and even sent them an email (so that they can't lie on results day) and they say 360 UCAS points including AS. I dropped two AS subjects. Got an E in one of them :tongue:, was a s**t subject. Should have taken it more serious but oh well. Then I got a C for the second AS that I dropped. So that added up to 60 UCAS. Now I require 300 UCAS points from the 3 A-Levels this year.
They did actually say this in their email.
I'm going to go to the uni itself during the holidays and then speak to the admissions tutor.
BTW, do you think they can slightly lower their grade, say 340 UCAS points, if I ask them directly?
Because if they do lower it, then it would make a really really good insurance.
Called them up and even sent them an email (so that they can't lie on results day) and they say 360 UCAS points including AS. I dropped two AS subjects. Got an E in one of them :tongue:, was a s**t subject. Should have taken it more serious but oh well. Then I got a C for the second AS that I dropped. So that added up to 60 UCAS. Now I require 300 UCAS points from the 3 A-Levels this year.
They did actually say this in their email.
I'm going to go to the uni itself during the holidays and then speak to the admissions tutor.
BTW, do you think they can slightly lower their grade, say 340 UCAS points, if I ask them directly?
Because if they do lower it, then it would make a really really good insurance.

In which case, great :smile: I would say that's confirmation enough for you. So basically you'll need BBB this year to meet their offer.
In response to your second question: doubtful. It's extremely unlikely (verging on the impossible) they'll just change their offer, but it is possible that even if you did get BBC, they'd still accept you. Not certain, but highly possible. If they changed the offer for everyone who just spoke to them on the open day then the whole point of an average offer is redundant...
Reply 29
In which case, great :smile: I would say that's confirmation enough for you. So basically you'll need BBB this year to meet their offer.
In response to your second question: doubtful. It's extremely unlikely (verging on the impossible) they'll just change their offer, but it is possible that even if you did get BBC, they'd still accept you. Not certain, but highly possible. If they changed the offer for everyone who just spoke to them on the open day then the whole point of an average offer is redundant...

Oh ok. Thanks.

Might just ask them what happens if I get BBC on results day.

Pretty sure that they wouldn't mind accepting me, especially when they are charging 9K per year and having less applicants.

If at the open day, they say they will definitely accept me with BBC then I will insure the uni.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending