The Student Room Group

Suggest me a good book to read

Scroll to see replies

Something light... Cold Comfort Farm by Mrs Gibbons

Also Lucky Jim by Mr Amis Sr

Something more challenging... Ghostwritten by Mr Mitchell
I feel i would do injustice to try and sell this book to u as it doesnt need my insufficient words to describe it.

Nahjul Balagha

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nahjul-Balagha-Ali-Ibn-Talib/dp/0940368420

Totally different structure to what you have ever read up until now, changed my life for good, doesnt cost u a lot as well. some people rate the original arabic text to be second best of all times in arabic literature as it is such a complete package.

p.s. bear in mind that it's got a historical context in some parts.
Reply 2062
Original post by weareval
I am looking for some crime books, based on real life crime, if anyone has any ones that they have read that they really liked (or found terrifying) please let me know the name and author of the book!??! :biggrin::biggrin:

Sudden Terror by Larry Crompton. It's based on the Original Night Stalker/East Area Rapist who stalked communities in California in the 1970s/1980s. He has never been caught to date. He started off by raping lone females in their own homes and then progressed to attacking couples and then finished off with some murders before mysteriously going off the radar.

It's a big book and it is written by a detective on the case. It can get a bit repetitive at times because he details every crime and obviously the modus operandi was pretty much the same throughout but it's a good read.
Reply 2063
I'm actually reading a book right now called 'the worlds 20 worst crimes', its pretty gory but I also find it really interesting :smile:
Reply 2064
Original post by kezzida
I'm actually reading a book right now called 'the worlds 20 worst crimes', its pretty gory but I also find it really interesting :smile:

Which crimes does it feature?
Paul Britton - Jigsaw Man :smile:

I'm reading this at the moment, not sure it's based on real events but James got information from ex-police about procedures and the like. Not bad so far :smile:
Reply 2067
Original post by advent2
Which crimes does it feature?

It's all about serial killers, some of which are cannibals or are obsessed with mutilating their victims whilst they rape them, the pleasant stuff
Reply 2068
Original post by kezzida
It's all about serial killers, some of which are cannibals or are obsessed with mutilating their victims whilst they rape them, the pleasant stuff

I'm guessing Jeffrey Dahmer will be in there. There is a documentary about him at 10pm on the crime and investigation channel if you have it and you are interested.
theres a book called "the bedside book of murder" which i love, it tells you about 50 different murders that have happened over the years, including some that are slightly less well known and i find it really interesting. i ended up borrowing it off my step-mum years ago and just never gave it back, and pages are starting to fall out a bit as i have read it alot over the years. it may also give you an idea of which crimes to look into further, though it often results in me getting extremely worried looks when im sat reading it on the bus/train, especially if i have my ipod on, as i have a tendency to sing to the music in my head without realising im doing it, which obviously no-one hears me doing so i probably look a little crazy while doing this.lol. it does stop annoying people sitting next to me and trying to talk to me though, which can be a good thing.
Original post by fahimpour
I feel i would do injustice to try and sell this book to u as it doesnt need my insufficient words to describe it.

Nahjul Balagha

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nahjul-Balagha-Ali-Ibn-Talib/dp/0940368420

Totally different structure to what you have ever read up until now, changed my life for good, doesnt cost u a lot as well. some people rate the original arabic text to be second best of all times in arabic literature as it is such a complete package.

p.s. bear in mind that it's got a historical context in some parts.

Good to know someone else also read it. :smile:
Original post by translucent
Was thinking of getting that book £3.50 in tesco :ahee: but instead I bought 'the girl with the dragon tattoo' - big mistake, I've read around 40 pages (500/600 pages to go), and I'm still baffeled; very hard book to get into :rolleyes:

give it time i was exactly the same as you but finnished the series and they are my favourite books aside from harry potter (nothing is better than harry!)
Original post by jhuntley93
give it time i was exactly the same as you but finnished the series and they are my favourite books aside from harry potter (nothing is better than harry!)

How long did it take you to finish the book?
Finished the Hunger Games trilogy in two days. I need a life :colonhash:

Or at the very least, channel this voracity into textbooks.
Original post by spacepirate-James
Finished the Hunger Games trilogy in two days. I need a life :colonhash:

Or at the very least, channel this voracity into textbooks.

Same here. :yy:
A Clockwork Orange.
Original post by Kretsche
Right this book that properly freaked me out is 'Mr Tickle' now it's a bout this guy with freakish arms, a genetic defect at birth, and he tickles people randomly, in a sort of attack, scary stuff!

:afraid:

I can get scared quite easily, but The Shining didn't bother me at all :dontknow:
If you like coming of age stories and want a challenge, you should try Candide by Voltaire. It's short too.
I'd never really read horror stories or thrillers before, so Deja Dead by Kathy Reichs caught me off guard a bit.

To be fair, I did read the worst chapter in the middle of a thunderstorm, at about 2am, in my dimly lit flat at university. :facepalm2:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ~ Purple Rose ~
A Clockwork Orange.

Seconded. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending