The Student Room Group

The Ultimate "OMG Help me with my EE" Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 880
Original post by brazen_bibliophile
Well, first off, I suppose you would want to figure out what exactly you mean by the "acting techniques" you would want to talk about. Do you mean the acting specifically, like the over-dramatizations and stereotyping, or the scripts actors performed - dramatic monologue, all the new words he created, etc?

Plus, in order to show its importance, you would need something to connect it to. For example, finding out what Shakespeare influenced. To start, you could try doing some overall research on his acting/scripts (you should be able to find books/websites APLENTY considering how popular he is), or ask your drama teacher (if you have one) on his/her opinions! Once you figure out which path you want to take, you can get more specific with your research materials.

Hope that at least begins to help!

Thank you so much!! I discussed it with my drama teacher, and my EE supervisor for ages and decided to a sort of investigation into what it is about shakespeare that makes people love his plays or not. I will be doing a survey, and record peoples nationalities (im in an international school), age group and whether or not they have seen a play/movie or just read the book.
Although my supervisor seemed to think it was a good idea, he's new to the IB and i'm worried that it will be based too much on opinion. It's almost like a scientific experiment but based around literature, so i suppose i would link it to english....i'm not so sure.
problem is i have very little time left, what do you think??
Reply 881
Hi, I'm in first IB and I've recently decided to write my EE in physics. Basically I'm interested in astrophysics but I know it is rather too tough to chose any subject and do some experiment. So I've started my research in other areas... and so far I can tell that I have too many ideas and I feel that non of those is good enough.
Here is the list:

1. Foucault pendulum - Acually I have access to Science Center in my city and there is one Foucault pendulum.

2. Newton's decomposition of sunlight with a prism - and the dependence between different types of prism.

3. Doppler effect - but i have no idea how to measure the frequency... unfortunately.

4. Chaos theory- but it is rather connected to the math , isn't it?

on the end: fractus - but again it's more math or biology.

I now that non of those subject is precise and ... narrow oriented, but I believe that you can help me somehow to deal with that...

Do you have any ideas how to carry out some experiments connected to those subject ?
Reply 882
Original post by Lachtara
Hi, I'm in first IB and I've recently decided to write my EE in physics. Basically I'm interested in astrophysics but I know it is rather too tough to chose any subject and do some experiment. So I've started my research in other areas... and so far I can tell that I have too many ideas and I feel that non of those is good enough.
Here is the list:

1. Foucault pendulum - Acually I have access to Science Center in my city and there is one Foucault pendulum.

2. Newton's decomposition of sunlight with a prism - and the dependence between different types of prism.

3. Doppler effect - but i have no idea how to measure the frequency... unfortunately.

4. Chaos theory- but it is rather connected to the math , isn't it?

on the end: fractus - but again it's more math or biology.

I now that non of those subject is precise and ... narrow oriented, but I believe that you can help me somehow to deal with that...

Do you have any ideas how to carry out some experiments connected to those subject ?

I don't know how you can do any experiments that is "real" in these topics... why don't you choose something easier to apply?
I would suggest doing the prism one...relate it to any machines or tools used commonly, then test efficiency and other on that specific item relating to using different prisms or something like that. The first one...i thought we are not allowed to use labs in university or research institutions? third one is too hard to collect data... as for the chaos... why don't you save it for your TOK presentation?
Reply 883
Hmm... I have to think about it. It's so hard to chose! But anyway, thanks for your comment.
Reply 884
Im deciding if I should do my first choice for my extended essay on economics or business I want to pick business as my first choice for my extended essay, but its my standard level subject and if I pick economics for my extended essay im somewhat worried at the graphing and calculation part as I really struggle with that.
Reply 885
My supervisor just e-mailed me and said that she wants me to stay tomorrow the whole day in the library to finish my Extended Essay with her. Uh... at least I'll get it done!
Reply 886
Original post by GordonHo
Im deciding if I should do my first choice for my extended essay on economics or business I want to pick business as my first choice for my extended essay, but its my standard level subject and if I pick economics for my extended essay im somewhat worried at the graphing and calculation part as I really struggle with that.

If you pick business, you have to be sure that you'll be able to go as in depth into the subject as the EE requires. Unless you have a real interest in the area you choose, having only standard level knowledge could be a drawback. If you did pick economics, you could always ask for extra help/hints with the graphing/calculations from your supervisor. Good luck :smile:
Is a History EE on religion possible? I'm at the stage of proposing a topic and I have no idea what to do.
Reply 888
I wish to do my EE on the the time dilation formula in special relativity its application satellite technology. This will include a fair amount of calculus, especially linear approximation. Would this EE fit into the physics or maths section? I prefer to do it in physics.
Reply 889
I'm pondering about my EE topic, and wanted to do something that would deal with the issue of urban planning and urban sprawl specifically with the topics of transportation and Japan.
Some ideas:
- Using Japan's transportation system as a model for other high density cities
- Addressing the continual strain on Tokyo's public transit systems
- Urban sprawl and Accessibility concerns in North America

any suggestions?
Reply 890
Hey guys, I could really do with some help on choosing which subject to my Extended Essay on.
By tomorrow, I need to have signed up with a subject department for my EE.
Basically, I want to study either Maths & Philosophy or PPE.
I'm currently torn between doing a Maths, Economics, History or Philosophy EE. Basically, I thought rather than do Econ, maybe it was better to do a mathematical finance EE, because econ at uni is far more mathematical that an IB anyway. Also, I don't study philosophy, do you think that would hurt my chacnes at getting a good grade in a philosophy EE.
Do you think I should base my decision purely on interest in the subject, or should my main consideration be wanting to talk about my EE in interview for Oxbridge etc?
I would really appreciate people's advice tonight preferably!
Reply 891
I've already chosen my topic and it's about parachutes. However I'm not sure about what my question could be, does anyone have any tips about parachutes? I'm thinking along the lines of how does the structure affect the rate of descent.
Reply 892
Original post by BananaPie
I've already chosen my topic and it's about parachutes. However I'm not sure about what my question could be, does anyone have any tips about parachutes? I'm thinking along the lines of how does the structure affect the rate of descent.

Can't really help you as I didn't do physics and so have no idea about what it could be about, but I will say this: it will need to have a more narrowed-down title than 'how does the structure affect the rate of descent'. It's too vague a concept, in my opinion - narrow down what your essay will be about and you'll get higher marks.
Doing mine on History:

"To what extent and for what reasons did Margaret Thatcher's popularity change between the years 1975 and 1990"

Can't tell if it's too broad :/ my supervisor kinda sucks.
Reply 894
Original post by Calllu-m
Doing mine on History:

"To what extent and for what reasons did Margaret Thatcher's popularity change between the years 1975 and 1990"

Can't tell if it's too broad :/ my supervisor kinda sucks.

Hey!
I've already submitted mine, and I also did it on History. I don't think it is too broad, the "years 1975 and 1990" makes the difference. "To what extent and for what reasons did Margaret Thatcher's popularity change?" that would be too broad. So you should be fine! :smile:

Anyway ask your supervisor, even if he/she sucks. They should be able to answer all your questions! specially one so simple like that.

Oh, and good luck with your essay!
Original post by Ahotaru
Hey!
I've already submitted mine, and I also did it on History. I don't think it is too broad, the "years 1975 and 1990" makes the difference. "To what extent and for what reasons did Margaret Thatcher's popularity change?" that would be too broad. So you should be fine! :smile:

Anyway ask your supervisor, even if he/she sucks. They should be able to answer all your questions! specially one so simple like that.

Oh, and good luck with your essay!

Thank you :biggrin:

Yeah she sucks. She basically hasn't requested to see me. At. All.
Reply 896
Original post by Calllu-m
Thank you :biggrin:

Yeah she sucks. She basically hasn't requested to see me. At. All.

Haha, if there's something I've learnt, it is that if there's something you're interested about, you have to be pushy and persistent! my supervisor was the librarian, and she was so incredibly busy. It was me the one that had to rush and pressure her and not the opposite! just at the end when the deadline was close she started to realise what being a supervisor was :s-smilie:
Reply 897
I'm doing mine on English A, but I still need to decide on which books to use...

So far, The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami looks interesting to write on, but another novel originally written in english is required.

Specifically, the search for identity and the conscious/unconscious are important themes to windupbird. Also, the importance of minor characters and recurring motifs play roles as well.

Any thoughts? Help is appreciated =/
Does anyone now any book (books preferably...) which I can use for my EE in Psychology? RQ for now is:

"To what extent does mechanical damage in the right hemisphere affect the emotional development in adolescents?"

I can't find anything for now to start with... -,-
Reply 899
I'm planning on doing my maths extended essay on graph theory and trying to find out the best possible bus routes for my school buses (i.e. taking the addresses of every student in school and calculating the most efficient route for all students to be picked up on with the current number of buses).

I was wondering if anybody could help me with this extended essay, either directly or by pointing me in the direction of books or scholarly articles which may help.

Thank you in advance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending