The Student Room Group

A-Level Options

Hi guys :smile:

I'm asking for help here about whether or not I should I choose Physics at A-Level. I'd like to move into something Biological (medicine, research, any sort of bio-engineering) and I had intended to take all three Sciences and Maths at A-Level. I'm a straight A/A* student in all my subjects so I'm confident I could cope with this choice, but I'm still not sure, after speaking to teachers and reading prospectuses if I'd like Physics or if it's necessary for what I want to do. I just thought I would ask and see if anyone had anything to say about how the Physics courses work at A-Level, and if anyone had any input as to whether it would be relevant.

Any alternatives would be appreciated :wink:

I'll be following the Edexcel board for Physics, which I heard is quite similar to AQA, so anything you have is valuable.

Also, I have read into the stickies on this board and I'm STILL indecisive, which is shocking considering the amount of relevant information on them. I suppose I just want to read about personal accounts of A-Level Physicians :biggrin:

My personal experiences weren't good, its such a huge jump from GCSE. I got an A* in GCSE and, thanks partly to the course (OCR so you won't be subject to it :colondollar:) and my awful teachers, I got an E in my AS. However, I wasn't totally a straight A student so you might get along better. Considering you're thinking of doing biological, I'd say stick to what you're doing but seek advice from Edexcel students as well
Hope this helps :h:
1) Physicians are doctors
2) don't get cocky with your GCSE's, the game changes completely at a level.
Reply 3
Original post by AdamskiUK

I'm asking for help here about whether or not I should I choose Physics at A-Level. I'd like to move into something Biological (medicine, research, any sort of bio-engineering) and I had intended to take all three Sciences and Maths at A-Level. I'm a straight A/A* student in all my subjects so I'm confident I could cope with this choice, but I'm still not sure, after speaking to teachers and reading prospectuses if I'd like Physics or if it's necessary for what I want to do. I just thought I would ask and see if anyone had anything to say about how the Physics courses work at A-Level, and if anyone had any input as to whether it would be relevant.

I'll be following the Edexcel board for Physics, which I heard is quite similar to AQA, so anything you have is valuable.

Also, I have read into the stickies on this board and I'm STILL indecisive, which is shocking considering the amount of relevant information on them. I suppose I just want to read about personal accounts of A-Level Physicians :biggrin:

You could always try Further Maths if you're not set on Physics?
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
1) Physicians are doctors
2) don't get cocky with your GCSE's, the game changes completely at a level.

I didn't say they weren't doctors, but they're not in the 'medical' Biological doctor areas that I expressed an interest in.

And by using the word 'cope', I meant that I could probably get a 'C or perhaps above' in the subject when it came around to it. I didn't intend to sound cocky, but I apologise if I did.

Either way, thanks for your constructive criticism.

Original post by mahjongmagic
My personal experiences weren't good, its such a huge jump from GCSE. I got an A* in GCSE and, thanks partly to the course (OCR so you won't be subject to it :colondollar:) and my awful teachers, I got an E in my AS. However, I wasn't totally a straight A student so you might get along better. Considering you're thinking of doing biological, I'd say stick to what you're doing but seek advice from Edexcel students as well
Hope this helps :h:

Good advice to be honest, thank you :smile:
Reply 5

Dude join me I'll probably be getting A*/A on my sciences but ever since circuits I started really taking a dislike in Physics and will not be doing it for A levels however I have a head for maths and would take Further Mathematics I will be doing Medicine hopefuly so I'm also taking Biology and Chemistry and a language... If you have doubts don't do it...

Not always enough at A Level, believe me! Seems like a good choice if you're interested in science, but if you end up doing something else, a backup might be better :tongue:
Further maths has bits of physics in i think with the mechanics module if you are not too sure about taking physics. I heard this is one of the hardest A-levels to do too, but im not sure, i dont do it xD
Reply 8

Physics is a very good A level to have, but as you're also doing Chemistry, Maths and Biology, perhaps taking a social science or humanity (Economics is good - no course-work to worry about) would make you appear as a more well rounded candidate.

If you do decide to do Physics, I'm currently doing A2 Physics with Edexcel, so I'll give you my take - AS level Physics isn't too difficult, the exams are out of 80 marks each, with 10 pretty easy multiple choice (although one or two can be horrendous), with the rest a mix of calculation questions (at AS, the most advanced maths you'll do is a bit of simple trig, but mostly just re-arranging and substituting numbers into equations) and short answer responses. The topics vary in difficulty - Kinematics and Newton's laws are simple, but Capacitance and Electromagnetic induction can take some getting your head round.

As for the exam board, all I can say is that Edexcel is awful. You get given the mark scheme when you do coursework, yet getting the marks can be quite tricky. Plus I find that in the exams they try to put it in context too much, and this just makes questions complicated and harder to understand. I'm also doing Maths and Economics at A2, and I'd say it's my hardest A level.
Reply 9
Original post by FDR
Physics is a very good A level to have, but as you're also doing Chemistry, Maths and Biology, perhaps taking a social science or humanity (Economics is good - no course-work to worry about) would make you appear as a more well rounded candidate.

If you do decide to do Physics, I'm currently doing A2 Physics with Edexcel, so I'll give you my take - AS level Physics isn't too difficult, the exams are out of 80 marks each, with 10 pretty easy multiple choice (although one or two can be horrendous), with the rest a mix of calculation questions (at AS, the most advanced maths you'll do is a bit of simple trig, but mostly just re-arranging and substituting numbers into equations) and short answer responses. The topics vary in difficulty - Kinematics and Newton's laws are simple, but Capacitance and Electromagnetic induction can take some getting your head round.

As for the exam board, all I can say is that Edexcel is awful. You get given the mark scheme when you do coursework, yet getting the marks can be quite tricky. Plus I find that in the exams they try to put it in context too much, and this just makes questions complicated and harder to understand. I'm also doing Maths and Economics at A2, and I'd say it's my hardest A level.

Brilliant, that's very helpful. For things like Biochemistry and Chemical Engineering which is always a possibly route, Physics is sometimes required. I'm just trying to keep my options open. By the sounds of it, AS Physics could be worth doing but then leaving it and continuing on with the other three.

Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest