The Student Room Group

Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more

Though i create another thread for
Sociology Unit 4 - Crime - 19th June 2012 - Notes - Disscussion and more.

So here are some notes for Unit 4 which i have gathered

The DOC : SCLY4 is from Noodelz from this site

If you know what will come up or have any questions post here

What Might come up
-
-
-
-
What might Not come up
- Labeling Theory - Why? Came up in Jan 2012
- Golbalisation - Why Came up in Jan 2012
-
-
-

Good Luck and All the best :smile:!

Btw, If anyone has the June 11 Paper or knows the Questions Feel free to post

Feel free to + Rep if i helped or Post here
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
-------
Do you have a structure of how to set out an essay question.
As i am confused as to how to do this, and gain top marks.

or 33mark/15mark etc...for all of them basically.

Reply 3
Original post by y.yousef
Do you have a structure of how to set out an essay question.
As i am confused as to how to do this, and gain top marks.

or 33mark/15mark etc...for all of them basically.

Will Attch some more Essay answers later on.
Original post by helpmekid
Will Attch some more Essay answers later on.

Why are you so helpful :smile:

What's your underlying intention :colone:
Why do you have red gems btw?
Reply 6
Why are you so helpful :smile:

What's your underlying intention :colone:

LOL, Helping others gives a nice feeling inside -

Edit: Uploaded more Essays samples
(edited 11 years ago)
LOL, Helping others gives a nice feeling inside -

Edit: Uploaded more Essays samples

More like a greeen gem?
If you help EVERYONE, then everyone will get a good grade, and then the marks boundary will be lowered.
Sometimes you have to be selfish to be selfless, in order for YOU to get a get job, to pay for your family :smile:

Plus, you didn't have to pos rep me :smile:
I prefer to be neg repped :colone:

Which ones are the new ones?! I'm getting confused..you shoulda posted them in a new post. :zomg:
Reply 8
More like a greeen gem?
If you help EVERYONE, then everyone will get a good grade, and then the marks boundary will be lowered.
Sometimes you have to be selfish to be selfless, in order for YOU to get a get job, to pay for your family :smile:

Plus, you didn't have to pos rep me :smile:
I prefer to be neg repped :colone:

Which ones are the new ones?! I'm getting confused..you shoulda posted them in a new post. :zomg:

You Mean Higher?
Makes the the Game more intresting and a challange to play!

Np: Here is the new one:
Crime statistics essay.doc
You Mean Higher?
Makes the the Game more intresting and a challange to play!

Np: Here is the new one:
Crime statistics essay.doc

lol, nice outlook :smile:

Is that the only new one there?
I've downloaded it now, thansk :smile:
Reply 10
Yeah I'm gonna be sitting this exam so I may aswell join in with the discussion again! So far, we've gone through the 6 theories, Science Debate, Value Freedom and Social Policy. We've covered Official Crime Statistics and we're on Theories of Crime this week. I'm enjoying it so far, but there's a lot to get through and there's not much time left!

Good luck guys! :smile:
Original post by StitchMad
Yeah I'm gonna be sitting this exam so I may aswell join in with the discussion again! So far, we've gone through the 6 theories, Science Debate, Value Freedom and Social Policy. We've covered Official Crime Statistics and we're on Theories of Crime this week. I'm enjoying it so far, but there's a lot to get through and there's not much time left!

Good luck guys! :smile:

feel free to share any resources...
Reply 12
feel free to share any resources...

I'll probably end up writing some essay plans nearer to the exam. In January, I typed up some Religion essay plans just a couple of nights prior to the exam in a desparate attempt to prove to myself I'd covered everything! :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
I'll probably end up writing some essay plans nearer to the exam. In January, I typed some up just a couple of nights prior to the exam in a desparate attempt to prove to myself I'd covered everything! :tongue:

yEAH TRUE.
Exactly same here.
So far i have nothing much. But it's going to be the last second where i write essays essaye esaay. So i've got nothing to share right now.
But i'm seriously struggling on how to lay it out..if only someone could tell me, it'd make my head alot clearer.
Reply 14
yEAH TRUE.
Exactly same here.
So far i have nothing much. But it's going to be the last second where i write essays essaye esaay. So i've got nothing to share right now.
But i'm seriously struggling on how to lay it out..if only someone could tell me, it'd make my head alot clearer.

Well for a start, you can begin by looking at the main topic areas. SCLY4 is split into Crime & Deviance, Theory, and Methods. I've only completed Theory so far so I've listed them below. My teacher is very structured so we have an A3 grid for each theory: this includes quotes, key assumptions, three main theorists or approaches and then AO2. Obviously I don't know them off the top of my head quite yet, but I'll post them up eventually. Once you can learn the structure, everything just falls neatly into place and you have an essay at the end of it! :smile:

Theories:
Functionalism
Marxism
Interactionism
Feminism
New Right
Postmodernism
+ Science Debate
+ Value Freedom Debate
+ Social Policy
Well for a start, you can begin by looking at the main topic areas. SCLY4 is split into Crime & Deviance, Theory, and Methods. I've only completed Theory so far so I've listed them below. My teacher is very structured so we have an A3 grid for each theory: this includes quotes, key assumptions, three main theorists or approaches and then AO2. Obviously I don't know them off the top of my head quite yet, but I'll post them up eventually. Once you can learn the structure, everything just falls neatly into place and you have an essay at the end of it! :smile:

Theories:
Functionalism
Marxism
Interactionism
Feminism
New Right
Postmodernism
+ Science Debate
+ Value Freedom Debate
+ Social Policy

wow mate, seriously you are lucky you've got a 'structured' teacher.
Our teacher sits, and tells us to copy out of text book :redface:
so doing everything on my own...again....
that';s why i need big time help..or ele i'm gonna get U, and wont get in uni :/

'quotes'? what quotes :eek:
'assumptions'? wtff....i've never herd of this,....

3 main theories....in the 21 mark q??
Reply 16
Ah thank god theres a thread for this,this is my last exam but the one i'm most nervous about! Managed to work out how many marks on this paper I need to get an A overall so feeling cool about it but would love to share revision notes and everything :smile: Might need to start revision soon actually :/ Has anyone started studying the whole methodology stuff? like methods in context? If so,is it fairly straight forward and similar to the education bit with methods?
Original post by RMW1994
Ah thank god theres a thread for this,this is my last exam but the one i'm most nervous about! Managed to work out how many marks on this paper I need to get an A overall so feeling cool about it but would love to share revision notes and everything :smile: Might need to start revision soon actually :/ Has anyone started studying the whole methodology stuff? like methods in context? If so,is it fairly straight forward and similar to the education bit with methods?

methods in context is pretty easy since you just apply what you learnt in the crime and deviance and apply that to the research methods..which is common sense.
Reply 18
methods in context is pretty easy since you just apply what you learnt in the crime and deviance and apply that to the research methods..which is common sense.

Lol well thanks for clarifying that.
Reply 19
wow mate, seriously you are lucky you've got a 'structured' teacher.
Our teacher sits, and tells us to copy out of text book :redface:
so doing everything on my own...again....
that';s why i need big time help..or ele i'm gonna get U, and wont get in uni :/

'quotes'? what quotes :eek:
'assumptions'? wtff....i've never herd of this,....

3 main theories....in the 21 mark q??

Haha, it's nice but then I get stressy with my other subjects because they're not as formal! :tongue: We don't really do any textbook work, but don't beat yourself up.. anything is possible if you put your mind to it! Which university are you thinking of, and to study what? What grades? :biggrin:

On our A3 grids we have key terms just to spark pieces of information.

By Quotes we just mean like... famous things that a Sociologist may have said. For example, I remember W.I. Thomas for Interactionism said something like "When a situation is defined is real, it is real in its consequences". Karl Marx famously said religion was the "opium of the people" and that "workers of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your chains". Examiners will like it if you shove a quote in, but obviously you don't need to!

Thennnn we usually have a box on History where we'd explain Marx's history. Or perhaps where Interactionism stemmed from. Or if it was Feminism then we'd talk about the three waves.

Key Assumptions we mention what the theory basically says. For Interactionism for example, we've got info about Blumer's 3 key assumptions.

Then we usually dedicate three boxes to theorists. For Interactionism, we'd mention Symbolic Interactionism (Mead - I/Me), Ethnomethodology (Garfinkel - Breaching Experiments), Dramaturgical Analogy (Goffman).

Then in the final box we'd AO2 it.

....then on the back we apply it to the other units - Family, Education, Religion and Crime. So for example, you can apply Interactionism to both Education and Crime because you can discuss Labelling Theory!

This is preparation for possible exam questions which require us to "Assess the contribution of <insert theory> to our understanding of society today". Some schools / colleges don't teach the methods section and just expect students to draw things from all parts of the course, but we're given set theories to mention for each one. Back on the old specification, there was a summary question which required you to do this, but now it's been changed slightly. It's the same kind of thing - just summing everything up and looking at how a theory in general is contributing to our understanding of society.

Original post by RMW1994

Hello! I remember you from January, haha! :tongue:

I have an hour a week on Research Methods. It's fairly similar to the AS Research Methods but there's a couple more things that you should be aware of. Feminist Methodology is one thing, because it could be called upon during a 33 marker on Feminism too. Feminist Methodology is basically an unstructured interview because it allows the female to build a rapport with another female interviewer. Therefore, they're more likely to get more valid results. Another thing is relativism which I haven't looked at much yet, but I've got a hand-out to read on it! :tongue: There's a couple of other things too that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I think Research Methods is pretty good because if you're looking at it in the context of crime, there's not many things they can ask you about. For example, it's highly unlikely they'll ask you to discuss experiments in the context of crime. They're much more likely to ask about something like interviews or observations. A couple of us at my school are expecting the question to be Official Statistics in the context of crime - there hasn't been a question on Official Statistics yet and it's the perfect question to ask (you can say so much about how Official Crime Statistics are invalid)!!!

I do think we'd be able to do the Methods in Context question now and get some good marks. Just think if they ask a question on Official Statistics. Without even seeing the Item, we can say positivists like them, interpretivists don't. They lack elaboration, but they're good to look at trends over time. They're cheap for Sociologists but expensive for those who conduct them. They're usually representative but they're still invalid because not all crime is reported... police have priorities... etc.

Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest