The Student Room Group

The Literary Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6680
Original post by Demon_AS
Yeah, I'm a medic :smile:. Didn't I mentioned that previously? Strange haha. I'm in my final year up in Yorkshire. Where did you apply? It's pretty hard work, being a medic - but it's a calling. So, once you're there, you don't really know any different haha, you just carry on as normal.

I think there's supposed to be only one more ASOIAF book, but God only knows when that one's coming out lol. I actually quite enjoyed the TV Series... can't wait for finals to be over in a month so I can start catching up on all this stuff!

I've not heard of Darren Shan, sadly - any good? I've heard lots of good things of Lemony Snicket, only people were a bit annoyed that some of the mysteries were never solved. That would irritate the pants off me lol, enough that I will not touch those books if I won't finish them knowing the whole story. There's plenty of time - even as a medic - to read non-fiction at uni. It's all about getting your work done and maintaining a good work-life balance. That skill is very difficult, but if you can make it work it's really rewarding.

Sorry for the week-long reply, been busy with revision. Not that I can complain, you've probably got ten times the work I've been set. I've firmed Cardiff but I'm a bit unsure if I can get the grades; I haven't worked all year because of personal reasons so I need to cram in three A Levels within the next few weeks and try and teach myself everything. If I don't get the grades though, I've set Neuroscience at Dundee as my insurance. I'd love the opportunity to study medicine though, it must be such a great privilege to be in that position where you can make a positive difference to peoples' lives.

Spoiler

Darren Shan is alright; I read his books when I was younger and really got into the story, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much now. There's a couple of books which I read as a child and couldn't stand, then decided to re-read a few months ago and had a complete change of heart. It's funny how a re-read can completely change your view on a novel.
I quite like endings where there's a bit of mystery left.. it lets the reader fill in the gaps an use their imagination to decide what happens in end. It's good to hear that you still have time to read at uni, I don't think I could live without my books.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6681
Original post by Angury
Sorry for the week-long reply, been busy with revision. Not that I can complain, you've probably got ten times the work I've been set. I've firmed Cardiff but I'm a bit unsure if I can get the grades; I haven't worked all year because of personal reasons so I need to cram in three A Levels within the next few weeks and try and teach myself everything. If I don't get the grades though, I've set Neuroscience at Dundee as my insurance. I'd love the opportunity to study medicine though, it must be such a great privilege to be in that position where you can make a positive difference to peoples' lives.

Spoiler

Darren Shan is alright; I read his books when I was younger and really got into the story, but I'm not sure if I'd enjoy it as much now. There's a couple of books which I read as a child and couldn't stand, then decided to re-read a few months ago and had a complete change of heart. It's funny how a re-read can completely change your view on a novel.
I quite like endings where there's a bit of mystery left.. it lets the reader fill in the gaps an use their imagination to decide what happens in end. It's good to hear that you still have time to read at uni, I don't think I could live without my books.
Ah, hello! :biggrin: It has been a while, I hope you've not been snowed under with all the work you have to do. While it is indeed true that the sheer magnitude of what I have to know for my exams is daunting, hard work is hard work haha. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree that our comparative workloads are so unequal. Everything's a matter of perspective, after all :biggrin:.

Cardiff as a firm, huh? That's great! Did you apply for Medicine there, and Neuroscience as a back-up plan?

Spoiler

I actually feel completely the opposite to you in terms of authors leaving loose ends haha. I simply cannot stand an ending that hasn't tied every mystery together in a nice, neat bundle. A reflection of my mindset perhaps. I shouldn't worry too much about not having time to read at uni - as I said before, there is always time to be made, and 24 hours in a day is a significant proportion of time, even if it doesn't feel that way at times :biggrin:.
Thread bump!

I've just started Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, after months of it looking at me with pressuring eyes on the bookshelf.

In other news, I finally managed to purchase Proust's magnum opus, À la recherche du temps perdu. The best part is, after some crafty comparing and contrasting prices between various websites, I managed to score the entire six volumes (all like new, might I add) for a scratch over twenty-three bob.

I will personally mail someone a cheque if they can find it cheaper, cause it ain't happening. :ahee:
Reply 6683
Finally had some time to read recently, and getting well into The Feast of the Goat (about 320 pages in now), which is indeed very compelling.

Thinking to go with something shorter next; possibly a play. A Streetcar Named Desire or A View From The Bridge or All My Sons or Rhinoceros? :holmes:
Finished Jane Eyre last week, half-way through Great Expectations :smile: Who knows what is next? Might venture into poetry as revision should be mopping up lots of time.

Abiraleft - I did Streetcar for my AS coursework! I enjoyed it. We did a re-creative piece so I chose to write a scene to go at the end.
Original post by Abiraleft
Finally had some time to read recently, and getting well into The Feast of the Goat (about 320 pages in now), which is indeed very compelling.

Thinking to go with something shorter next; possibly a play. A Streetcar Named Desire or A View From The Bridge or All My Sons or Rhinoceros? :holmes:

If you go with A Streetcar Named Desire, make sure you watch the film as well. Marlon Brando delivers, and delivers hard. Vivien Leigh is always a pleasure to look at, too. :wink:
Reply 6686
Original post by Demon_AS
Ah, hello! :biggrin: It has been a while, I hope you've not been snowed under with all the work you have to do. While it is indeed true that the sheer magnitude of what I have to know for my exams is daunting, hard work is hard work haha. So, I wouldn't necessarily agree that our comparative workloads are so unequal. Everything's a matter of perspective, after all :biggrin:.

Cardiff as a firm, huh? That's great! Did you apply for Medicine there, and Neuroscience as a back-up plan?

Spoiler

I actually feel completely the opposite to you in terms of authors leaving loose ends haha. I simply cannot stand an ending that hasn't tied every mystery together in a nice, neat bundle. A reflection of my mindset perhaps. I shouldn't worry too much about not having time to read at uni - as I said before, there is always time to be made, and 24 hours in a day is a significant proportion of time, even if it doesn't feel that way at times :biggrin:.

Yeah Neuroscience is my back-up. So either way I know I'm going to uni next year! (basically in four months :eek:)

Don't worry, everything I mentioned previously was from A Feast of Crows. I only finished reading A Dance with Dragons a few days ago and it was much better than A Feast of Crows. That's probably because my favourite characters were in the fifth book, so it was a more enjoyable read. The book is massive though; I kept getting strange looks in school for carrying what appeared to be a tome. Anyway, I recommend you jump back onto the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon. I can finally browse through the Game of Thrones threads around here (and on any website for that matter) without worrying about spoilers jumping out at me. Plus it's a nice experience reading through some fans' predictions and realising there's so much detail I'd missed. In my defence though, there are so many characters involved in the series at this stage that it's difficult to remember everyones' backstory.

LOTR is next on my fantasy to-read list, but I've just started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Not really the type of book I'd read, but it's been recommended to me by a few people and I've noticed that a lot of authors that I read have named this book as one of their influences. What about yourself? Have you read War and Peace? And are you reading anything at the moment?
In the last two days I've finished 'Persuasion' (which is my favourite Jane Austen novel), the second Hunger Games novel and starting the third. I think that the Hunger Games are good, but think that they'd be stronger if they focused on 'external' (for want of a better word) events as opposed to just the action. However, I appreciate that's difficult given it's a first-person narrative. Still, it was/is very enjoyable.
Reply 6688
Original post by Angury
Yeah Neuroscience is my back-up. So either way I know I'm going to uni next year! (basically in four months :eek:)

Don't worry, everything I mentioned previously was from A Feast of Crows. I only finished reading A Dance with Dragons a few days ago and it was much better than A Feast of Crows. That's probably because my favourite characters were in the fifth book, so it was a more enjoyable read. The book is massive though; I kept getting strange looks in school for carrying what appeared to be a tome. Anyway, I recommend you jump back onto the Song of Ice and Fire bandwagon. I can finally browse through the Game of Thrones threads around here (and on any website for that matter) without worrying about spoilers jumping out at me. Plus it's a nice experience reading through some fans' predictions and realising there's so much detail I'd missed. In my defence though, there are so many characters involved in the series at this stage that it's difficult to remember everyones' backstory.

LOTR is next on my fantasy to-read list, but I've just started War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy. Not really the type of book I'd read, but it's been recommended to me by a few people and I've noticed that a lot of authors that I read have named this book as one of their influences. What about yourself? Have you read War and Peace? And are you reading anything at the moment?
Hey, apologies for the delay, I've been busy with revision this last week!

Haha, you excited about going to uni? I still remember how I felt in the run up to going... the excitement was insane.

Lol, I get what you mean about forgetting about minor characters in books like ASOIAF. The same thing happened to me in WoT - I've read and re-read those books many, many times, and I still forget some of the minor characters.

I'm afraid I haven't read War & Peace, although I've heard a lot about it. Is it any good? Always seemed a bit heavy going for me. I've not really been reading very much lately - at least nothing outside of medicine - although the last books I read were the first trilogy of "Ender" books by Orson Scott Card (namely Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead and Xenocide). Having gotten to know you a bit better now, I suspect you might enjoy them immensely.
Finished Great Expectations last weekend - funny how the action in Victorian Literature seems to appear in the last 100 pages or so but I don't mind :biggrin:
Next on my list? I might have to wait until after exams.... :frown:
Just bought this. Should be interesting...
Reply 6691
Original post by Obsidian
Finished Great Expectations last weekend - funny how the action in Victorian Literature seems to appear in the last 100 pages or so but I don't mind :biggrin:

It's probably got something to do with the serial format of them. They kept people subscribing, I suppose.
Original post by jsb123
It's probably got something to do with the serial format of them. They kept people subscribing, I suppose.

True, very true.
Reply 6693

I've just started reading GE, have a FIT copy of it from like 1900 (anyone else think books are more enjoyable to read if they're physically worn? You know what I mean hehe), love it! Dickens' humour is so under-appreciated, in GE it's a kind of self-deprecating humour isn't it.

Also in the middle of Moll Flanders, highly recommend you read it, I found it hilarious!! Easier to read than I thought as well, considering the period it's from.
Just started After Dark by Haruki Murakami. Keeping my addiction in check. Ears, cats, jazz and food, what more do you need in a novel?

Anyone read Ground Control by Anna Minton. Non-fiction but a real eye-opener in terms of what's happening to our cities and our society. I seem to have a knack for getting hold of books before their offical publication date as the copy I had had a chapter on the Olympic Legacy which wasn't supposed to be out til late June.

http://www.annaminton.com/Ground_Control.htm
Original post by _becca
I've just started reading GE, have a FIT copy of it from like 1900 (anyone else think books are more enjoyable to read if they're physically worn? You know what I mean hehe), love it! Dickens' humour is so under-appreciated, in GE it's a kind of self-deprecating humour isn't it.

Also in the middle of Moll Flanders, highly recommend you read it, I found it hilarious!! Easier to read than I thought as well, considering the period it's from.

Definitely :biggrin: Mine is a modern copy but has been on holiday - and bears the scars! A few years ago, this would have really bothered me. A level English has cured me of that.
I love Dickens' forward thinking and characterisation - Miss. Havisham is so memorable!

Will give Moll Flanders a go in the summer :smile: Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read Guilliver's Travels? It was written in the 18th Century (I think) and is pretty funny :biggrin:
The Frogs!
Reply 6697
Definitely :biggrin: Mine is a modern copy but has been on holiday - and bears the scars! A few years ago, this would have really bothered me. A level English has cured me of that.
I love Dickens' forward thinking and characterisation - Miss. Havisham is so memorable!

Will give Moll Flanders a go in the summer :smile: Thanks for the recommendation. Have you read Guilliver's Travels? It was written in the 18th Century (I think) and is pretty funny :biggrin:

Gulliver's Travels is one of the 37247947984729 books sitting on my desk glaring at me to read them, i hope to read it over summer!! :biggrin: I will be so glad to say goodbye to A Level English, the AOs are so stifling. I was told to remove half the references from my coursework because they were 'too academic'

... which for suuuch a vocational course as English would be disastrous *rolls eyes*

Original post by philistine
The Frogs!

Aristophanes? LOVE that play, the Clouds is also excellent :biggrin: you wouldn't think you'd be able to laugh at something that old but evidently people never change :')
Original post by _becca

Aristophanes? LOVE that play, the Clouds is also excellent :biggrin: you wouldn't think you'd be able to laugh at something that old but evidently people never change :')

The very same! Oddly enough, I always remember that particular line from the Major-General's song in the G&S opera, The Mikado:

I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!

Unlike the other lines, it's apparently so: just croaking... :biggrin:

EDIT: Have you read The Wasps?
Reply 6699
Original post by philistine
The very same! Oddly enough, I always remember that particular line from the Major-General's song in the G&S opera, The Mikado:

Unlike the other lines, it's apparently so: just croaking... :biggrin:

EDIT: Have you read The Wasps?

Hahahah #croak
Yes I have read The Wasps, though a long time ago! Would like to read again really.A lot of the political references etc are completely lost on me though :confused:

So, you like AG comedy, what about the tragedies? QUICK, Euripides, Sophocles or Aeschylus? :biggrin: (have to admit 'The Frogs' actually changed my answer to this question hehe)
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending