The Student Room Group

OCR B G491, 17th May 2012 Morning.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nufc7
Well I thought I was screwed seeing as I was getting in the range 29-42 out of 60 on past papers, which I actually found extremely hard, but this exam was easier than any of the past papers I've done and I found the past ones hardly contained anything that was even on the course...
Most of my classmates feel the same although some found it really hard. I certainly didn't find it easy, just easier than the other ones

For the voltmeter question, did you treat it as a series or parallel circuit?
These are my thoughts on the voltmeter question BTW (I think you were supposed to treat it as a series circuit):

Original post by When you see it...

First question:
R= (E.M.F. - Ir)/I
Second question:
V=Ir
Third question (this was 'explain why a high resistance is needed?'):
So it takes an extremely high proportion of the p.d., therefore the voltage reading is close to the emf.
Grade boundary predictions anyone?
Reply 223
A -42
B- 37
C - 32

Me thinks
Original post by ila4e123
A -42
B- 37
C - 32

Me thinks

I'm going to go for (roughly, given grade boundaries of earlier papers):
50/60 - 90 UMS
45/60 - 81 UMS
40/60 - 72 UMS
35/60 - 63 UMS
etc.
Reply 225
I'm going to go for (roughly, given grade boundaries of earlier papers):
50/60 - 90 UMS
45/60 - 81 UMS
40/60 - 72 UMS
35/60 - 63 UMS
etc.

yeah similar ishh, btw what was the last Q? was it the 4 mark polarised sunglasses explanation just to confirm?
June 2011 question 6 (c) shows that for the plastic deformation of polymers, the mark scheme will likely ask for:
Cross-linked chains;
Bonds can uncoil.
Check for yourself to see if you got the marks (although iirc it was 3 marks in our paper - maybe the third was for explaining the breaking stress).

January 2010 question 10 (c) asked for the definition of vertically polarised, which is similar to one of the questions we were asked. The MS for that paper said:
Transverse wave (1 mark);
Oscillating only vertically (2nd mark).
For our question, maybe they will replace vertically with 'a specific direction'. Also, I think the third mark for that question was QWC.
yeah similar ishh, btw what was the last Q? was it the 4 mark polarised sunglasses explanation just to confirm?

Yes I remember checking.
Reply 228
For "oscillates in particular direction", could u have "travels in one direction". I had a diagram... ?
I reckon I dropped:
5 marks on the voltmeter question (completely misinterpreted it);
1 mark on the bandwidth question (if I'm lucky);
2 marks on the very last question;
Maybe 2/3 marks on the polymer question because I mentioned breaking bonds leading to plastic deformation;
Maybe 1 or 2 marks on the estimates at the end of section A (WHAT DID YOU LOT GET FOR THEM?).
So worst case scenario (unless I made other mistakes too :frown:) 47/60 and best case scenario 52/60.
Can't really remember if there were any other dodgy questions though.
What mark do you think you got?
Original post by matty b
For "oscillates in particular direction", could u have "travels in one direction". I had a diagram... ?

They all travel in the same direction anyway (they just oscillate in different directions - but still at right angles to direction of movement, which is constsant). I'm not sure what you mean.
I think I put 'vibrate' instead of 'oscillate', so maybe I dropped marks there too...
Reply 231
They all travel in the same direction anyway (they just oscillate in different directions - but still at right angles to direction of movement, which is constsant). I'm not sure what you mean.
I think I put 'vibrate' instead of 'oscillate', so maybe I dropped marks there too...

I included a diagram - which shows how the waves cannot pass through gaps in different orientatations - , but I think my keywords were off a bit. ie I put " travels in one direction" rather than "oscillates in one direction". Would this lose me marks?
Original post by matty b
x

Original post by KoalaKim
x

Original post by Rhiiannaa
x

Original post by clomitch
x

Original post by Apocalyptic Fish
x

Original post by engstrom0304
x

Original post by hihihihihi
x

x

Original post by MehakV
x

Original post by sammaguire94
x

Original post by I_Am_The_Man
x

bump
Predict your mark out of 60 and state your predicted grade boundaries!
Original post by matty b
I included a diagram - which shows how the waves cannot pass through gaps in different orientatations - , but I think my keywords were off a bit. ie I put " travels in one direction" rather than "oscillates in one direction". Would this lose me marks?

I don't know, sorry!
I have seen an examiners report where they complain about candidates drawing diagrams of ropes and fences, implying that this is wrong though. Not sure tbh.
Reply 234
Original post by KoalaKim
i worked out the voltage to be 3.85 x10^-4 asnd just wrote that as the answer, but i don't think that is right!

I got the same and I think it should be right xxx
So far I'm not sure I've lost many marks at all on this paper! :biggrin:
Reply 236
wah hated it and that was my 3rd time doing it! - what did you guys put for the estimation ones at the end of section A? hated it! and how about the galaxy one when you had to work out the distance in light years?
Original post by Ashlee93
wah hated it and that was my 3rd time doing it! - what did you guys put for the estimation ones at the end of section A? hated it! and how about the galaxy one when you had to work out the distance in light years?

For the estimates I put 0.5 then 0.05. For the galaxy one it told you the reolution in light years per pixel, therefore no conversion was necesary.
Just found this link which says kettles are 2-3 kW, which suggests that the second estimae should have been 5. It did say 'single-cup' though didn't it?
EDIT:
Hee is the link:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/ethicallivingblog/2008/mar/07/keepyourkettleincheck
Original post by thetransitionary
So far I'm not sure I've lost many marks at all on this paper! :biggrin:

Really? Well done! What did you put for the last question and the bandwidth question?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending