The Student Room Group

The Opening Ceremony

Scroll to see replies

Anyone know what time the actual opening ceremony starts? My Sky box TV Guide says 7pm, the woman on BBC News said 10pm and I've heard somewhere else 8.50pm.
:rofl:
Brilliant!

Got a tweet out about if from the official TSR account :teeth:
i'm terrified. it doesnt have anything to do with me but if they c*ck it up, i'm still going to feel the embarrassment on behalf of the whole country xD

i wish they would have had one of those street tea show with people...pouring tea. and a tea fountain. i really love tea...
Reply 64
Original post by Dobrzynski
This is what is to be expected according to sources found on Wikipedia:

Held on 27 July 2012

Danny Boyle will be the artistic director who is co-ordinating and designing the opening ceremony.

The games will be officially opened by Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

During the television coverage of the ceremony a short film starring Daniel Craig as secret agent James Bond will be screened.

Sir Paul McCartney has announced that he will perform at the close of the ceremony.

The ceremony will include a soundtrack based on iconic pieces of British music, including the theme tunes from Doctor Who and radio soap opera The Archers, pop and rock songs, and pieces of classical music.

A village cricket team,

12 horses

10 chickens

70 sheep

a model of Glastonbury Tor

two mosh pits

the largest harmonically-tuned bell in the world

a rain-producing cloud.

a Punjabi song for the opening ceremony.

According to custom, Greece will lead the parade, followed by other competing countries in alphabetical order and finally the host nation Great Britain.

"Survival", a single released by the English band Muse, will be the official song of the Olympics.

If you have any more information regarding the Opening Ceremony on the 27th, please post it here.

The government has finally admitted they have been controlling the weather system all along!

And for those who take this post seriously:

Spoiler

Sorry to be pessimistic but I doubt that this opening ceremony will top the beijing ceremony. They had Leona Lewis singing whilst hanging from a thread and David Beckham kicked a friggin football to the crowd.
Not to say I'm not going to watch it but did anyone else see the NHS bit I didn't quite get it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Thanks very much :smile:

I've heard that the USA is apparently getting it on time delay so the Eastern Time Zone won't be getting to see the ceremony until 12.30am BST (7.30pm in New York). Hawaii won't be getting it on NBC until 4.30am BST. Australia are airing it live, but I doubt they'll have many viewers as their coverage is starting tonight at 8.30pm BST (5.30am tomorrow morning in Sydney). New Zealand are also airing live starting at 8.00pm BST (7.00am tomorrow morning there)
I am watching the pre-pre-countdown-countdown no BBC now :smile:
Reply 68
Do you know if the Euromillions is being televised tonight? I can't find a time anywhere!

And yes, hopefully the Olympics will be good! I'm not actively excited about it, but I will watch some of it and keep track of Team GB medals! :biggrin:
I'm just glad it's the bbc broadcasting it, and not the other advert powered channels.
Reply 70
Is anyone else looking forward to

Spoiler

Spoiler

(edited 11 years ago)
Stupid idiot reporter on BBC 1

"It must be such an honour representing England"

It's the UK FFS
Original post by Tabris

Spoiler

Spoiler

Keep the bolded in spoiler tags, thanks.

I thought that was just a wizard
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Whostolemycookie
Sorry to be pessimistic but I doubt that this opening ceremony will top the beijing ceremony. They had Leona Lewis singing whilst hanging from a thread and David Beckham kicked a friggin football to the crowd.
Not to say I'm not going to watch it but did anyone else see the NHS bit I didn't quite get it

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

That was the handover ceremony?

Original post by Tabris
Is anyone else looking forward to

Spoiler

Spoiler

YOU RUINED IT FOR ME OMG NOOO

Voldemort is awesome though.. glad they're celebrating Harry Potter :biggrin: But it looks more like a death eater imo
Reply 75
Original post by RachelSophia
All ive heard is spice girls, Beckham, pole dancers, fake rain and children. Sounds quite tacky.

I want to see more brittish history, Alexander Mc Queen, the royal family, old country dancing, possiblely Susan boyal having tea, arctic monkeys, Alan Carr, open top buses, harry potter, British art work, British famers haha, british inventions, throw in some British humour and a big firework display and its perfect.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S

Wow why didn't they get you to design the opening ceremony? I'm sure Danny Boyle and all the people who worked on it won't have thought of any of those things.
Original post by Miracle Day
Stupid idiot reporter on BBC 1

"It must be such an honour representing England"

It's the UK FFS

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.
Original post by Pensivedore
There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.

It doesn't matter. They bid for the Olympics in the United Kingdom, not in England! >.> and during the Opening Ceremony the UK is what's going to be celebrated. It just annoys me <.<
Original post by RachelSophia
All ive heard is spice girls, Beckham, pole dancers, fake rain and children. Sounds quite tacky.

I want to see more brittish history, Alexander Mc Queen, the royal family, old country dancing, possiblely Susan boyal having tea, arctic monkeys, Alan Carr, open top buses, harry potter, British art work, British famers haha, british inventions, throw in some British humour and a big firework display and its perfect.

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my Xperia S

What you heard may be tacky, but it doesn't mean the show will be. You have no idea what's going to be in it, for all you know they may have covered all of that stuff.
Original post by Miracle Day
It doesn't matter. They bid for the Olympics in the United Kingdom, not in England! >.> and during the Opening Ceremony the UK is what's going to be celebrated. It just annoys me <.<

Ooh that's what you meant. I thought you meant it as if 'it's the UK, why is it such an honour?. It would be good if they incorporate every aspect of the UK, a bit Scottish, Welsh and Irish culture as well as English.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest