The Student Room Group

Suitability for Tax Prof. / Op.Casework (Non-grad/non-fast stream)

Scroll to see replies

Has anyone heard back in relation to the latest HO campaign?
Just received the following email from csr.jobs.....

"Good morning.....,

At this moment in time we are still unable to provide you with any further update. The business are still considering applications on the reserve list and may make further appointments in due course. Due to the size of this campaign and with a vast range of locations, we are unable to determine exact positions on the reserve list at this time. Kind Regards"That is just marvellous! Lol.
Like I said TraineeAcc, we will agree to disagree. Discrimination is rife within society and employers fear the hand of the Equality Commission on their collar if they do not have enough people with Irish names in Theo workforce, INDIRECTLY discriminating against everyone who does not. It's the elephant in the room. We shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist or that it isn't happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MegaMal45
Like I said TraineeAcc, we will agree to disagree. Discrimination is rife within society and employers fear the hand of the Equality Commission on their collar if they do not have enough people with Irish names in Theo workforce, INDIRECTLY discriminating against everyone who does not. It's the elephant in the room. We shouldn't pretend it doesn't exist or that it isn't happening.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Please explain what you disagree with?

No part of this recruitment is monitored or controlled by any NI body.

No part of the recruitment campaign for HMRC has a target for Catholic/Protestant split of employment.

How do you propose to agree to disagree when what you 'think' is happening, isn't!

You can't make sweeping comments on things without any evidence or facts. Show your evidence, not your ignorant bias.

For any of you that have been offered, it wasn't because of your name.
Original post by Druagh
Congratulations to everyone posting progress. I am wondering if there's anyone else on here waiting for start dates in Glasgow?I heard my checks were completed on the 10th of June. Since then I've had my DBS in the post, and even a Pension Choices letter last weekend, but the Vacancy holder has made no contact.I'm going slightly mad, checking for any contact, and have no way of following up as the hmrc.jobs address, quoted on the job advert, is just bouncing back as unavailable.As I say, anyone else in a similar position?Drew

Sent all my forms away around middle of June. They sent me an email on 13th June saying they would be in touch once checks were done and to acknowledge I had accepted the job offer. Heard nothing since.
Original post by TraineeAcc
Please explain what you disagree with?

No part of this recruitment is monitored or controlled by any NI body.

No part of the recruitment campaign for HMRC has a target for Catholic/Protestant split of employment.

How do you propose to agree to disagree when what you 'think' is happening, isn't!

You can't make sweeping comments on things without any evidence or facts. Show your evidence, not your ignorant bias.

For any of you that have been offered, it wasn't because of your name.

There is actually no point in arguing with him, he has been told all the facts several times but chooses to use religion/politics as an excuse for not getting jobs. It's a load of nonsense which we all know but he can continue to believe it if it makes him feel better. I know I got the job on my own merit, nothing to do with my name or background,
Original post by Mega0448
It's a question of where do you draw the line. If someone repeatedly fails they obviously don't get it and aren't suitable for the position.

If they can't pass the HMRC exams then I wouldn't be too worried about losing that knowledge to the private sector!

I know I'm coming across as harsh but the exams aren't that terrible, and I realise that's easy to say once you've done them. I felt the same stress as you don't worry!

If they "arn't suitable for the position" then that reflects a failure in the Recruitment and Selection process. All the while that person ends up in a worse position than they were before - with no job at all. For me that is unacceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
If they "arn't suitable for the position" then that reflects a failure in the Recruitment and Selection process. All the while that person ends up in a worse position than they were before - with no job at all. For me that is unacceptable.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Plenty of people cheat their way through the online tests when they apply for the job. So I apportion no blame to the recruitment department.*
Hi, got my offer after being on the reserve list for 8/9 months. Does anyone know what I'll be doing on a daily basis. Is it more exciting than your standard office job and do you get to use your brain?*
Original post by rebecca_:)
Hi, got my offer after being on the reserve list for 8/9 months. Does anyone know what I'll be doing on a daily basis. Is it more exciting than your standard office job and do you get to use your brain?*

Well done! Which role did you get the offer for?

I start as an O in Manc next week
Reply 1891
Also got an offer from reserve list today for Glasgow. Wonder if they have now put out offers to just about everyone on list.

I had also been for an interview this morning for the latest HO campaign and due to start a new job within the month for another government department too.

It's all go at once for me!
Yeah it's all ago for me too... Just want to be certain that I make the right choice.. Potentially got a Home Office job lined up too!

It just says enforcement and non compliance at the minute on my email. Does it involve being the bad guy all the time and chasing down people?*

I work in income tax at the minute and you find that most people who have an underpayment. It's not down to them as such as they believed they where on the correct tax code, but they still have a huge tax bill at the end of the year.*

If anyone could share what a day in this job involved it would be great!*

Reply 1893
E&C is so wide ranging; you could be dealing with investigations into individual self assessment returns, VAT, Corporation Tax, high net customers, etc.
Original post by rebecca_:)
Yeah it's all ago for me too... Just want to be certain that I make the right choice.. Potentially got a Home Office job lined up too!

It just says enforcement and non compliance at the minute on my email. Does it involve being the bad guy all the time and chasing down people?*

I work in income tax at the minute and you find that most people who have an underpayment. It's not down to them as such as they believed they where on the correct tax code, but they still have a huge tax bill at the end of the year.*

If anyone could share what a day in this job involved it would be great!*

I got an offer Friday for Officer. Sent the email to accept and HavEn't heard from them since

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer Friday for Officer. Sent the email to accept and HavEn't heard from them since

Posted from TSR Mobile

So much for ur name theory then!
Reply 1896
Got HO acceptance for glasgow last week start on 5th September
Hi Everyone,

Four of my friends who all have experience working in HMRC at Higher Executive Officer grades or higher are looking to set up a company to help applicants with applications to Civil Service Jobs.For example,

Reviewing individual competencies.
providing guidance on how to hit the higher marks.
Interview preparation and support.

These individuals also have experience in sifting applications and interviewing applicants.

I wanted to know what people would want out of a service like this, would you use it and how much would you want to pay for practical support?
Not for Belfast so ... I stand by the name theory! 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not for Belfast so ... I stand by the name theory! 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

couldnt possibly be because you didnt score highly enough?

Must really gall you that a female with an Irish name simply did better than you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending