The Student Room Group

People who think size 12/14 are too big/fat!

There's been many threads on here that say in general that sizes 12 / 14 are too big? Is this really the general opinion, considering some of these examples?

These girls are all size 12, 14,16. Would you guys seriously not hit that? I think they are gorgeous.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It depends on the woman. Those women look great because they are most likely tall and have the right shape for it. On the other hand, shorter women with smaller frames would look nowhere near as good at that size. Therefore you can't really generalise about whether a certain size is 'acceptable' or not :no:
Reply 2
its a shame lots of people are so shallow.

personality is more important than looks any day of the week
In general, men find women who use the search function most attractive.
I think it matters how you carry the weight.

I'm tall so I can get away with it, but a shorter girl at that size will probably just look round and chubby.
Definitely depends on the women. I'm a part time shop assistant, and not to be the stereotype of the classic judgemental sales assistant, I've seen women who are size 8's because they are literally 5ft be quite fat, and I've seen tall women who are very skinny try on size 14's and when they hand me back the clothes they've tried on I think HOW ARE YOU A SIZE 14? haha. So you definitely can't decide 'I'd never date a size 14' because the truth is, yes she could be quite fat, but she could also be quite thin!
Also, Erin O'Connor = skeletal skinny = a size 12
Original post by ily_em
It depends on the woman. Those women look great because they are most likely tall and have the right shape for it. On the other hand, shorter women with smaller frames would look nowhere near as good at that size. Therefore you can't really generalise about whether a certain size is 'acceptable' or not :no:

Totally agree with you here. :h:
Different sizes suit different people. I have a friend who is a size 10, but she looks waay too skinny for her frame! I have another who's size 18 and she looks absolutely fine. You can't generalise.
well yeah you've obviously posted pics of only size 12 models..and in google of course they will be celebrities/underwear models..definitely not typical of real people!
Reply 9
I'm not sure how people can say: "I'd never find a size 12/14 attractive" because I would doubt that many people can look at a person and accurately guess their clothes size. It varies a fair bit between shops so you can be one size in one shop and a smaller/bigger size in another, as well as the fact that your height makes a huge difference.
Reply 10
I bought a girls dress for a fancy dress outfit and I was a size 14, so yes, girls that are the same size as me or over are definitely not on the do-able list
Reply 11
Would probably only 'do' number 4. Number 1 is a maybe, though facially she looks a little like crazy frog.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 12
But it all depends on body shape, bone structure, height etc!

I'm 5'4 and a natural size 6-8 depending upon where I buy my clothes. I have a very small frame and if I was a size 12-14, I would look genuinely overweight.
Reply 13
Original post by love_junkie298
well yeah you've obviously posted pics of only size 12 models..and in google of course they will be celebrities/underwear models..definitely not typical of real people!

http://www.12plusuk.co.uk/

only one of them is a size 12, most are 14, the blonde one in the dress is a 14-16
you can't really find picture of "real people" showing their exact measurments and seminaked bodies online now can you

i'm just surprised that this is considered "as a general rule" to be big/fat, since it clearly doesn't mean much, but (by using search) i've found that a lot of the time people (guys) say that they wouldn't date anyone above size 10 (or even 8)

just like a C-cup is different whether your 32C, 34C or a 36C, clothes size is different based on height/build but it's just crazy imo to consider these girls as big
Original post by mtoo
http://www.12plusuk.co.uk/

only one of them is a size 12, most are 14, the blonde one in the dress is a 14-16
you can't really find picture of "real people" showing their exact measurments and seminaked bodies online now can you

i'm just surprised that this is considered "as a general rule" to be big/fat, since it clearly doesn't mean much, but (by using search) i've found that a lot of the time people (guys) say that they wouldn't date anyone above size 10 (or even 8)

just like a C-cup is different whether your 32C, 34C or a 36C, clothes size is different based on height/build but it's just crazy imo to consider these girls as big

Oh really? well they do look great! A lot of guys I know like girls bigger than size 8/10! These girls aren't fat, they are curvy! You would be blessed to have a body like that actually! And also some girls just wear bigger sizes because of their bust..and yeah height!
I'd probably begin to spiral into self hate if I reached a 12-14. It's way too big for my liking and I would just look icky as my frame is quite thin.

To be honest people tend to have a natural shape that they look good with. For some that may be a 12-14 so it doesn't really matter hugely what the number is, it's more about the visual (as you demonstrated with the pics in the OP).
Well that's a bit of a kick in the teeth for me if that true lol
As iv being trying to lose weight over the summer mouths and iv went down from a size 18 to a size 12/14 but what iv found it really depend on the woman body shape and if she feel comfortable within her own skin because if you feel about yourself who give a monkey uncle what other people think!
I didn't even know there was such a thing as a 'doable' list and frankly I don't really care. Guys or Girls should want be with you for being you not because of your size. As long people are heathy and happy then good for them :biggrin: personally i think there too much pressure on the 'Perfect Body' and 'Look'.

im woundering if anyone agree or disagree with me?
(if disagree please dont be too nasty this is my first day on this site lol)
and plus what really the 'Perfect Body' or 'Look' anyway???
(btw if i got spelling wrong and missing words sorry!)
Reply 17
Depends on height tbh.
Reply 18
People need to be more aware of their natural body shapes and more clued up on health issues imo. A person should be able to look in the mirror and know if they are overweight/underweight and assess the reality of attaining Cheryl Cole's figure if it is completely unobtainable for them.

Dress sizes differ from store to store and are completely meaningless for anything other than a generalised description of a person's size.

Anyone who just comes out and says a size 12 is fat is an idiot, but at the other end of the scale I worry when we have reported that the UK's average size is a 16 etc. This kind of reporting leads gullibe peiople into thinking that to be noremal then they must be this size also.
Reply 19
All those women look lovely - the women in the white bikini and green bikini bottoms have especially nice figures.

Like most people have said, it depends entirely on height. I think your body frame carries some weight (haha) too in deciding whether you can be bigger or smaller.
Course, a tall, say 5'10" girl can be a bigger size ie. a 12 and look as thin as a small, say 5ft girl who is a size 6.

But frame also has to be taken into account. I'm 5"1 and a size 6 and if I get any bigger than an 8, I start to look chubby and weird becausw my frame just looks bad with extra weight. My best friend on the other hand, only a smidgen taller at 5'2" is a size 12/10, really busty, looks amazing because her frame is slighter larger despite being small.

I think the general gist is, s'long as you don't have multiple rolls of fat upon your person, you're good to go whatever size.

Quick Reply