The Student Room Group

Best house/bass tracks of the year (Mixmag and Resident Advisor)

https://p.twimg.com/AgtXGqOCEAETo66.jpg

Great to see Julio Bashmore, a young british up and coming artist get number 1. I find that tune mesmerising, such a good bassline. 'People get up, stomp your feet, let's get down.' Banger.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1422

What are your views on these two lists? Is there a thread for this type of music btw? (House)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Favourite Worst Nightmare
https://p.twimg.com/AgtXGqOCEAETo66.jpg

Great to see Julio Bashmore, a young british up and coming artist get number 1. I find that tune mesmerising, such a good bassline. 'People get up, stomp your feet, let's get down.' Banger.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/feature.aspx?1422

What are your views on these two lists? Is there a thread for this type of music btw? (House)

Yup, really like Julio Bashmore, love that track as well!

Just glanced through the lists but a few that stood out....

Four Tet - Pyramid

Azari & III - Hungry for the power (Jamie Jones remix)

Martyn-Masks

Cassius - The Sound of Violence (Franco Cinelli Remix)

Tiefschwarz - Corporate Butcher (Solomun Remix)

Zomby - Natalia's Song
Original post by mau5

Four Tet - Pyramid

Martyn-Masks

Zomby - Natalia's Song

Been a big year for Jamie Jones! That tune you mentioned has elevated from underground hero to global legend! Been loving all his stuff and a lot of the stuff on his hot creations/hot natured projects.
yea Hot creations/natured is the sound of 2011 although I don't like it when it gets too funky those lists are a bit too radio 1 for me saying that maetrik/maceo plex is one of my fav producers
. but this deep tech sound is still going strong they have a party on new years *day which might be the party of the year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Hmm, will have to trawl through a fair bit on these lists...

Good year for music in general, tbh
Reply 5
house lovers i hate you all but i love this tune

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esvldR3vFGQ
Reply 6
Original post by Mo-Amin
Hmm, will have to trawl through a fair bit on these lists...

Good year for music in general, tbh

Fantastic year, and the growing of a large musical scene, right on my doorstep in bristol, which is incredible really. Determined not to take it for granted as i know the quality the scene has and has to offer. Think the scene has a lot to offer yet. A lot to offer.

Highlight was seeing Julio bashmore, maya jane coles, crazy p, henrikschwarz, appleblim and bonobo in motion in bristol last month. Incredible night. Don't remember half of it, but the half i remember and from the photos i know i had an incredible night :smile:

Maya jane coles back in motion next february too, epic. Her set was really early and so rememer it pretty well. It was amazing.

Needs to be a thread made on this music for people to post in more readily, so we get the hottest new stuff and some good music posted. Certainly enough regulars enjoying the scene atm on here judging from this thread and a few others.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 7
Seth Troxler deserves some love in this thread. Been destroying it this year.
Original post by Gob Bluth
Fantastic year, and the growing of a large musical scene, right on my doorstep in bristol, which is incredible really. Determined not to take it for granted as i know the quality the scene has and has to offer. Think the scene has a lot to offer yet. A lot to offer.

Highlight was seeing Julio bashmore, maya jane coles, crazy p, henrikschwarz, appleblim and bonobo in motion in bristol last month. Incredible night. Don't remember half of it, but the half i remember and from the photos i know i had an incredible night :smile:

Maya jane coles back in motion next february too, epic. Her set was really early and so rememer it pretty well. It was amazing.

Needs to be a thread made on this music for people to post in more readily, so we get the hottest new stuff and some good music posted. Certainly enough regulars enjoying the scene atm on here judging from this thread and a few others.

Ah you must have gone to futureboogie at motion! Such a wicked venue. I saw a vid of bashmore dropping battle for middle you there the other day. Looked amazing.

I think we should do a thread but just noticed there is a dance/trance music thread running where people have posted about house music. Do you reckon people would moan if we had a thread specifically for house. It is difficult to know what to call it...atm what I listen to has been categorised as house, deep house, future garage, post-dub, uk funky/uk bass...so much overlap, so many different genres. We would end up talking about artists/tunes that people in the dubstep/DnB/dance and trance threads are talking about which the mods might not like. I think it is worth doing though as the music we have been discussing is a very different sound to what the current music threads mainly discuss
Reply 9
Ah you must have gone to futureboogie at motion! Such a wicked venue. I saw a vid of bashmore dropping battle for middle you there the other day. Looked amazing.

I think we should do a thread but just noticed there is a dance/trance music thread running where people have posted about house music. Do you reckon people would moan if we had a thread specifically for house. It is difficult to know what to call it...atm what I listen to has been categorised as house, deep house, future garage, post-dub, uk funky/uk bass...so much overlap, so many different genres. We would end up talking about artists/tunes that people in the dubstep/DnB/dance and trance threads are talking about which the mods might not like. I think it is worth doing though as the music we have been discussing is a very different sound to what the current music threads mainly discuss

Yeh i'm finding it hard to classify it all into one, as it's all fairly similar. I'd imagine house, future garage, uk bass and something modern would go with that. I can't see why people would moan, as there are loads of threads open now and none really i see relevant to post Julio Bashmore, Maya Jane Coles etc. There was a house thread a while back aimed at trying to get the history of house, stuff like ambient and acid house, to some other more modern house for example. But that thread didn't take off and even house to generalise is n't great for some of it.

Yep went to futureboogie. Bonobo clashed with Julio and for some reason i saw more of Bonobo over Julio and don't remember seeing any of Julio's set :frown: Was such a sick night though. Incredible. One of the best nights you can have really! Your best mates there, your favourite music there, and an awesome atmosphere! Also thought i'd say here. Motion, the biggest venue in bristol will be having police dogs for the NYE night. So glad i'm not going now. What a farce. The friendly atmosphere will become more hostile. More fights, more problems as people will take loads of drugs before. Can't understand the logic. Obviously the people on the council who have no ****ing clue have instigated this. Just so glad i didn't get tickets for it now. Such a farce. Regardless if i was taking or not, with what they are doing will spoil the night as the atmosphere will be so much crappier. They also only announced it today which means many won't know about it, which means there will be so much drug confiscation that night. So **** of the organisers. Lost some respect off me for it.
Yeh i'm finding it hard to classify it all into one, as it's all fairly similar. I'd imagine house, future garage, uk bass and something modern would go with that. I can't see why people would moan, as there are loads of threads open now and none really i see relevant to post Julio Bashmore, Maya Jane Coles etc. There was a house thread a while back aimed at trying to get the history of house, stuff like ambient and acid house, to some other more modern house for example. But that thread didn't take off and even house to generalise is n't great for some of it.

Yep went to futureboogie. Bonobo clashed with Julio and for some reason i saw more of Bonobo over Julio and don't remember seeing any of Julio's set :frown: Was such a sick night though. Incredible. One of the best nights you can have really! Your best mates there, your favourite music there, and an awesome atmosphere! Also thought i'd say here. Motion, the biggest venue in bristol will be having police dogs for the NYE night. So glad i'm not going now. What a farce. The friendly atmosphere will become more hostile. More fights, more problems as people will take loads of drugs before. Can't understand the logic. Obviously the people on the council who have no ****ing clue have instigated this. Just so glad i didn't get tickets for it now. Such a farce. Regardless if i was taking or not, with what they are doing will spoil the night as the atmosphere will be so much crappier. They also only announced it today which means many won't know about it, which means there will be so much drug confiscation that night. So **** of the organisers. Lost some respect off me for it.

It seems we both don't really know what to call such a thread. Even in some of the music publications they are talking about it as 'the ongoing dissolution of dubstep, grime, house, techno and funky into something of a catch-all bass music stew.'

I have missed motion. It is the same thing though at warehouse project in manchester. Every time they have police and dogs at the door. So people take loads before they go in but that ruins it because for a while you are just wasted. It does ruin the atmosphere but this is the world we live in now. The motion guys did send out a warning e-mail a few days ago to be fair to them. It explained they either do the nights like this with the police there or the council shuts them down.
It seems we both don't really know what to call such a thread. Even in some of the music publications they are talking about it as 'the ongoing dissolution of dubstep, grime, house, techno and funky into something of a catch-all bass music stew.'

I have missed motion. It is the same thing though at warehouse project in manchester. Every time they have police and dogs at the door. So people take loads before they go in but that ruins it because for a while you are just wasted. It does ruin the atmosphere but this is the world we live in now. The motion guys did send out a warning e-mail a few days ago to be fair to them. It explained they either do the nights like this with the police there or the council shuts them down.

Yeh i guess it is fair enough. They didn't have to warn about it!

Have you heard of D/R/U/G/S? I saw him support Digitalism and met him after (nice guy) and i think he is going to be big. He's got a new EP out now and i can't stop listening to it. Can't find youtube links but check it out on spotify. The Ep is called 'Connected'. Check out his other one too, very good.
Original post by Yellow_Watermelon
yea Hot creations/natured is the sound of 2011 although I don't like it when it gets too funky those lists are a bit too radio 1 for me saying that maetrik/maceo plex is one of my fav producers
. but this deep tech sound is still going strong they have a party on new years *day which might be the party of the year.

Started listening to maceo plex on youtube recently. Really liking his tunes. Will have to get his album.
Yeh i guess it is fair enough. They didn't have to warn about it!

Have you heard of D/R/U/G/S? I saw him support Digitalism and met him after (nice guy) and i think he is going to be big. He's got a new EP out now and i can't stop listening to it. Can't find youtube links but check it out on spotify. The Ep is called 'Connected'. Check out his other one too, very good.

I have heard but not checked them out yet. I read they have a similar sound to mount kimbie and orbital so will definitely give them a listen. Quick question, do you listen to all of this sort of music on spotify? I lost my itunes a bit ago and am looking to start a collection again as I am sick of just listening to stuff on youtube. Coz with stuff like the maya jane coles and julio bashmore EPs it is hard to find a torrent...and I cannot afford beatport whilst still at uni!
I have heard but not checked them out yet. I read they have a similar sound to mount kimbie and orbital so will definitely give them a listen. Quick question, do you listen to all of this sort of music on spotify? I lost my itunes a bit ago and am looking to start a collection again as I am sick of just listening to stuff on youtube. Coz with stuff like the maya jane coles and julio bashmore EPs it is hard to find a torrent...and I cannot afford beatport whilst still at uni!

I couldn't find D/r/u/g/s's new ep on the internet at all and that's saying something. So i bought it. Small record company and supporting a artist i like so all's good. Rarely able to buy music these days as i couldn't afford to do so for the stuff i get through. Spotify i'm using more and more though just because it's a nice easy source to access stuff as there are loads of user uploaded playlists, like i found the top 50 tracks on residentadvisor which is a great way of finding top tracks of the year you may have missed. It's relatively easy to find julio bashmore's and such music usually. Filestube and searching the artists find well known stuff 95% of the time.
Original post by mau5

Four Tet - Pyramid

Martyn-Masks

Zomby - Natalia's Song

Gonna agree with most of those, all incredible. Four/Martyn/Zomby especially.

RA's list is so so. They've got Steffi ranked pretty highly. Personally, I hated that release with a passion. I'm amazed Ostgut let that one slide.

Scuba ranked high is nice (saw him at Corsica Studios NYE, amazing). One addition I'd like to make: DFRNT. He released a stunner this year with Emotional Response.

I'd like to see some more Warp in there too. Black Dog has had a few sick releases, as well as Rustie and co.

Also;

On the subject of a new thread: go for it. I'll certainly be active there, and the dance/trance society is full of Swedish House Mafia type ****e.
(edited 12 years ago)
Pearson Sound and Blawan in timbuk2 in bristol next week and xxxy a couple of weeks after. :coma: That's just one venue. Looks quite exciting the amount of quality in bristol just for the first month of the year! Loads more venues to play quality stuff i expect too. Thought i'd post tihs for anyone else who lived in bristol
http://soundcloud.com/edwin-congreave/fast-challenges-bothers-slow

Cant get enough of this tune. Remixed by edwin from foals
This thread is staying alive.

Reply 19
Tune ^

Been listening to a lot of Maya Jane Coles (Ritual Union remix :sogood:) and Julio Bashmore, and a few other odd tracks from these genres.
This thread definitely needs to stick around...

Looking forward to hearing Disclosure support SBTRKT this February:

Quick Reply

Latest