The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1260
Im in the exact same position as you... just need my A in chem! Hope I hear soon :smile: Congrats again
Original post by myyrh
Yep resitter :smile: It's conditional on AA in Biology and Chemistry but I have the A in Biology so just need to get that Chemistry grade.

Im actually so happy for you!
Btw did you find out by track or email or post?
Reply 1262
Original post by omnomnom1234
Im actually so happy for you!
Btw did you find out by track or email or post?

Checked track at 17:22 and it was there :smile: UCAS track email came at 17:31
Reply 1263
Original post by myyrh
Offer from liverpool!!! :biggrin: :smile:

Congratulations myyrh! You've done great to get this far. Good luck with your chem in June. Make sure you study extra hard now you've got the offer. :smile:

Ps. can I have one of your offers? :grin:
hey guys

im a resit applicant and im in a bit of a dilemma at the moment :\ dont really know what i should do next.... i got AAB first time round at A2. and ive just resat my maths module and got my B grade into an A. i got all 4 rejections last year without interview and ive applied to liverpool, soton, lancaster this time round and got rejections again :frown: i have almost no motivation now and i doubt im even good enough to study medicine...

i should point out that i have looked at GEM but im worried about the funding on that part with the hike in pricing etc..
also have anyone of u considered doing biomed ?? ive got two unconditional offers from sheffield and susex but im not to sure i will like doing the subject for 3 years. (never really liked lab work :\)

any advice would be much appreciated. thank you !
Reply 1265
Original post by Aysha92
Congratulations myyrh! You've done great to get this far. Good luck with your chem in June. Make sure you study extra hard now you've got the offer. :smile:

Ps. can I have one of your offers? :grin:

Aww Thanks Aysha! :biggrin: Yeah I'm really going to knuckle down for June, I can't afford to waste this opportunity :redface: Everyone on this thread is amazing and I love the support we have for each other :colondollar: I'd happily give you one but I'm hoping I wont need to :biggrin:
Reply 1266
Original post by taken4granted
hey guys

im a resit applicant and im in a bit of a dilemma at the moment :\ dont really know what i should do next.... i got AAB first time round at A2. and ive just resat my maths module and got my B grade into an A. i got all 4 rejections last year without interview and ive applied to liverpool, soton, lancaster this time round and got rejections again :frown: i have almost no motivation now and i doubt im even good enough to study medicine...

i should point out that i have looked at GEM but im worried about the funding on that part with the hike in pricing etc..
also have anyone of u considered doing biomed ?? ive got two unconditional offers from sheffield and susex but im not to sure i will like doing the subject for 3 years. (never really liked lab work :\)

Hi, really sorry to hear about your rejections man :frown: Would you be prepared to take a second gap year? how would your parents react ? I did consider biomedical sciences but I just feel my heart would never be in the subject and I would always feel like a failed medicine applicant. If I hadn't have got any place I would have done a completely different degree and left it at that. I know it's tough but If you really want medicine, what is one extra year :smile: What were your GCSE grades btw?
Reply 1267
hey guys

also have anyone of u considered doing biomed ?? ive got two unconditional offers
from sheffield and susex but im not to sure i will like doing the subject for 3 years. (never really liked lab work :\)

My story is similar to yours in many ways...

I got ABC on first attempt in Bio, Chem and Phys respectively. I applied with those grades, predicted AAA, to Liverpool, BSMS and UEA. All rejections without interview. My backup was physiology which is started in September. I decided to reapply for medicine in October to Liverpool, Lancaster, Keele and UEA. I've dropped out of Physiology because I don't have the passion to get through 3 years of a pure science degree. Waiting on Keele's decision post-interview...

If I don't get in, I'm going to apply again (working as a carer in the meantime). You might want to do the same. My advice is not to start a degree that you're not passionate about- especially at 9k tuition per year.
Reply 1268
Original post by myyrh
Aww Thanks Aysha! :biggrin: Yeah I'm really going to knuckle down for June, I can't afford to waste this opportunity :redface: Everyone on this thread is amazing and I love the support we have for each other :colondollar: I'd happily give you one but I'm hoping I wont need to :biggrin:

Which is your first choice?
I'm afraid I'm already out of the game :frown:
Original post by myyrh
Hi, really sorry to hear about your rejections man :frown: Would you be prepared to take a second gap year? how would your parents react ? I did consider biomedical sciences but I just feel my heart would never be in the subject and I would always feel like a failed medicine applicant. If I hadn't have got any place I would have done a completely different degree and left it at that. I know it's tough but If you really want medicine, what is one extra year :smile: What were your GCSE grades btw?

yeh i was thinking of another gap year but its very risky. i know for sure my parents wont be very happy if im at home for another year and this whole situation has been stressing them out quite a lot if im honest. Which again doesnt make me feel any better :| for my gcses' i got 6 A*'s 2A's and B
Reply 1270
Original post by Aysha92
Which is your first choice?
I'm afraid I'm already out of the game :frown:

Oh shoot :frown: :frown: I'm so sorry. *tries to rip conditional off track and hurl at Aysha* It's stuck :s-smilie: I thought you still had one left to hear from :frown: Probably between Peninsula and Liverpool but since Peninsula is splitting and stuff I might be slightly inclining to Liverpool right now :redface:
Original post by daj198
My story is similar to yours in many ways...

I got ABC on first attempt in Bio, Chem and Phys respectively. I applied with those grades, predicted AAA, to Liverpool, BSMS and UEA. All rejections without interview. My backup was physiology which is started in September. I decided to reapply for medicine in October to Liverpool, Lancaster, Keele and UEA. I've dropped out of Physiology because I don't have the passion to get through 3 years of a pure science degree. Waiting on Keele's decision post-interview...

If I don't get in, I'm going to apply again (working as a carer in the meantime). You might want to do the same. My advice is not to start a degree that you're not passionate about- especially at 9k tuition per year.

thanks for the advice. i totally agree about the tuition fees and its partly why ive been taking so long in deciding what i want to do. like i said before it has also put a lot of stress on my family who ultimately dont want to see me wasting my years at home when i could be at uni. i really dont want to rush into doing a degree i wont like but then again i have to be quick and decide what im going to do since time is flying past :frown:

btw your plan sounds good actually and i hope you get your offer. my only question is that if you dont get any offers 3rd time round will you keep trying ?? or will you try and go through graduate entry.

thanks for the reply !
Reply 1272
yeh i was thinking of another gap year but its very risky. i know for sure my parents wont be very happy if im at home for another year and this whole situation has been stressing them out quite a lot if im honest. Which again doesnt make me feel any better :| for my gcses' i got 6 A*'s 2A's and B

Did you get rejected from Lancaster and Liverpool pre interview? and did you follow those three points they list in their criteria? You see if you reapply you would probably guarantee yourself interviews from Exeter and Plymouth medical school and you could probably fine tune your PS to suit Lancaster and Liverpool or you could consider Keele?
Original post by myyrh
Did you get rejected from Lancaster and Liverpool pre interview? and did you follow those three points they list in their criteria? You see if you reapply you would probably guarantee yourself interviews from Exeter and Plymouth medical school and you could probably fine tune your PS to suit Lancaster and Liverpool or you could consider Keele?

ye i didnt get any interviews. both mentioned non academic requirements.

i very much doubt i will be guaranteed interviews from exter and plymouth... i dont think plymouth even accept resit candidates, thats if ive read their entry requirements correctly :/ Again its just the risk involved in taking another gap year. i could get a part time job and do some work experience but its a long wait to even hear their replies from the unis. then if they say no again ? what then ? :frown:
Reply 1274
ye i didnt get any interviews. both mentioned non academic requirements.

i very much doubt i will be guaranteed interviews from exter and plymouth... i dont think plymouth even accept resit candidates, thats if ive read their entry requirements correctly :/ Again its just the risk involved in taking another gap year. i could get a part time job and do some work experience but its a long wait to even hear their replies from the unis. then if they say no again ? what then ? :frown:

Exeter and Plymouth medical schools are being formed from Peninsula. Since it is their first year as individual medical schools, they will likely follow Peninsula's method of admissions (Exeter have already said they do consider resitters). The way Peninsula shortlist for Interview is based solely on A level grade/predictions and UKCAT. To get an interview this year you needed to have been predicted AAA and achieved a UKCAT score of 642.5 and met the individual score cut offs. AFAIK, any applicant with already the required grades is guaranteed an interview regardless of their UKCAT score. You already have AAA now so if you were to apply to those two schools, provided they maintain the Peninsula style of admissions I'm sure you would be shortlisted.
Reply 1275
Original post by myyrh
Exeter and Plymouth medical schools are being formed from Peninsula. Since it is their first year as individual medical schools, they will likely follow Peninsula's method of admissions (Exeter have already said they do consider resitters). The way Peninsula shortlist for Interview is based solely on A level grade/predictions and UKCAT. To get an interview this year you needed to have been predicted AAA and achieved a UKCAT score of 642.5 and met the individual score cut offs. AFAIK, any applicant with already the required grades is guaranteed an interview regardless of their UKCAT score. You already have AAA now so if you were to apply to those two schools, provided they maintain the Peninsula style of admissions I'm sure you would be shortlisted.

Do you know what their individual cut offs were? Wanted to apply there but didn't want to risk it with my low scores in VR and QA...
Reply 1276
Original post by Aysha92
Do you know what their individual cut offs were? Wanted to apply there but didn't want to risk it with my low scores in VR and QA...

I did ask but I don't remember the exact figures. VR-510 QR-530 Ar-520 DA-580 Again these are just what I think i remember :redface: I do know that nothing was above 600 VR was low 500s and the rest mid 500s.
Reply 1277
Original post by myyrh
Oh shoot :frown: :frown: I'm so sorry. *tries to rip conditional off track and hurl at Aysha* It's stuck :s-smilie: I thought you still had one left to hear from :frown: Probably between Peninsula and Liverpool but since Peninsula is splitting and stuff I might be slightly inclining to Liverpool right now :redface:

Aw :frown: That's a shame, at least you tried!
I think Liverpool is better, both unis are quite similar heavily being PBL based. If I were you, I'd compare how each uni does assessments - Peninsula does an exam called the EMK which is pretty hard and a weird way of testing people! Yeah loads of people aren't happy with the split - not sure how it will impact you guys though.
Reply 1278
Original post by myyrh
I did ask but I don't remember the exact figures. VR-510 QR-530 Ar-520 DA-580 Again these are just what I think i remember :redface: I do know that nothing was above 600 VR was low 500s and the rest mid 500s.

This is the second time this has happened to me. I want to put Peninsula as I have a strong-ish chance but the UKCAT stops me and after the deadline, I find out that I could have applied after all.:angry:
Reply 1279
Original post by Aysha92
This is the second time this has happened to me. I want to put Peninsula as I have a strong-ish chance but the UKCAT stops me and after the deadline, I find out that I could have applied after all.:angry:

Ah man :/ as a resitter I was ready to apply to Peninsula as long as my ukcat was above 630. Had nothing to lose afterall. When I ended up with 642.5 on the dot I was left in limbo till I rung them to find out the cut off had stayed the same although individual cut offs changed. I'm sure had it been anyother year the cut off would have increased as it has done everyear. Due to the change of removing the handheld calculator and the decrease in applicants I was pretty sure the national average would decrease. Are you planning to apply again?

Latest

Trending

Trending