The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

accommodation for exchange student

Hey guys,

I'm a fourth year finance student (21yrs old) from Australia doing an exchange program at manchester in 12s1.
I've read a lot of reviews and comments in the other threads about accom, but was hoping to get more info for someone looking for accom who is not a fresher. (in australia, we just called them first years)
Are all the halls mainly for freshers? Where do the second/third years go? Do they all move into shared flats? I've had a look around at the private shared flats in the area, and theyre much cheaper than uni halls.
In terms of halls though, I like the sound of lambert or fairfield with the ensuite coz its quieter than fallowfield, but I hope its not too quiet there. I'd like to meet the locals and go out once/twice a week.
I've also read that ensuite isnt all that worth it either so if thats the case, what would be a good equivalent hall with a basin?

My second question is about internet at uni? So i know there is hornet provided for all halls of residence, which is included in the costs, but what about uni internet? is the internet service provided at uni generally any good? is it limited/ fast?

Also about moving in times for halls, i've read we move in at the beginning of freshers week? or sometime near then. However, I was wondering if there was accom for those who arrive earlier like.. beginning of september-ish.

thanks
Reply 1
Original post by thehay
Hey guys,

I'm a fourth year finance student (21yrs old) from Australia doing an exchange program at manchester in 12s1.
I've read a lot of reviews and comments in the other threads about accom, but was hoping to get more info for someone looking for accom who is not a fresher. (in australia, we just called them first years)
Are all the halls mainly for freshers? Where do the second/third years go? Do they all move into shared flats? I've had a look around at the private shared flats in the area, and theyre much cheaper than uni halls.
In terms of halls though, I like the sound of lambert or fairfield with the ensuite coz its quieter than fallowfield, but I hope its not too quiet there. I'd like to meet the locals and go out once/twice a week.
I've also read that ensuite isnt all that worth it either so if thats the case, what would be a good equivalent hall with a basin?

My second question is about internet at uni? So i know there is hornet provided for all halls of residence, which is included in the costs, but what about uni internet? is the internet service provided at uni generally any good? is it limited/ fast?

Also about moving in times for halls, i've read we move in at the beginning of freshers week? or sometime near then. However, I was wondering if there was accom for those who arrive earlier like.. beginning of september-ish.

thanks

You're right, generally the halls are for 1st years, places like Opal or Unite tend to be taken by international 2nd/3rd year students who don't want to get a flat/house. Places like Lambert & Fairfield are quieter than Fallowfield, but Fallowfield is the most sociable of the areas in Manchester, so if you're looking to meet people and go out, then Fallowfield might be the place for you.

Internet in uni halls is incredibly fast (usually), good enough to Skype your folks back home, if that's what you're thinking.

Most uni halls will probably have an early move in date of around the 13th (Thursday before Fresher's week, normally) this year. Private places (i.e. Opal and unite) might let you move in earlier. Any particular reason you want to come so early?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
thanks for the reply, but i thought Opal was for postgrad? I'm still an undergrad, unless, there are special rules for exchange but im not aware of any.
I've thought about fallowfield, but if its all first years, i'm not really the omg-freedom-binge-drink type.. though i might be stereotyping..

as for why i want to move in early is because I'm actually travelling around europe june/july and i finish july 30th. I've seen ads for short term lets until 31st august, but most seem to finish tenancy then and not be available until sept 13th, hence why i was wondering about accom from beginning of sept till then.

by internet in uni halls, you mean uni lecture halls? coz thats what i was asking about, not halls of residence.. (sorry, these terms are confusing for me because we call halls of residence = colleges in australia)
Reply 3
Original post by thehay
thanks for the reply, but i thought Opal was for postgrad? I'm still an undergrad, unless, there are special rules for exchange but im not aware of any.

Nope, Opal is for anyone, they even do professional lettings (i.e. not for students) so you can apply there no problem. It may be that you looked at one hall in particular which is PG only (I know Weston Hall is uni/opal owned, but has a PG only section)

I've thought about fallowfield, but if its all first years, i'm not really the omg-freedom-binge-drink type.. though i might be stereotyping..

That's a pretty fair assessment of the halls I'd expect! :tongue:

as for why i want to move in early is because I'm actually travelling around europe june/july and i finish july 30th. I've seen ads for short term lets until 31st august, but most seem to finish tenancy then and not be available until sept 13th, hence why i was wondering about accom from beginning of sept till then.

If you went private you could ask to move in early, and uni always rents our their halls over the summer anyway. Ask around :smile:

by internet in uni halls, you mean uni lecture halls? coz thats what i was asking about, not halls of residence.. (sorry, these terms are confusing for me because we call halls of residence = colleges in australia)

Ah ok! In the UK, Halls = halls of residence (your colleges). What you call lecture halls, we call lecture theaters/rooms. No one would know what you meant by halls, unless you said lecture halls! :tongue:

Internet in lecture theaters would be patchy at best, although in some of the better buildings there'd be WiFi around. They try to avoid WiFi routers near lecture theaters though; there's no need for it during lectures, so people would probably just dick about looking at rubbish. There are WiFi hotspots everywhere though, so don't worry about lack of connectivity at uni!
Are all the halls mainly for freshers? Yes, although there are some flats set aside for second years / returners. Where do the second/third years go? Do they all move into shared flats? Invariably speaking, yes. Normally people live in the Rusholme / Fallowfield / Withington / Didsbury areas. You'll probably be able to find a house-share where someone else is going abroad for the other semester - I know of the odd person who is looking for someone like that. Probably the best way to find such houses is by looking at the accommodation classified section on TSR, or looking at Manchester Student Homes. I've had a look around at the private shared flats in the area, and theyre much cheaper than uni halls. Ostensibly, yes, but don't forget that you may find yourself paying rent over the summer, and you have to factor in the cost of bills on top of that rent, whereas bills are included in the rent in halls.
I've also read that ensuite isnt all that worth it either so if thats the case, what would be a good equivalent hall with a basin? TBH I've got a basin, and it's not really worth it either - all it means is that I can avoid walking an extra 3m to brush my teeth.

My second question is about internet at uni? So i know there is hornet provided for all halls of residence, which is included in the costs, but what about uni internet? is the internet service provided at uni generally any good? is it limited/ fast? There's wired internet in halls, and wireless internet in halls, including in almost all lecture theatres. It's a good speed - I've always found it to be adequate for my needs.

Also about moving in times for halls, i've read we move in at the beginning of freshers week? Yes or sometime near then. However, I was wondering if there was accom for those who arrive earlier like.. beginning of september-ish. Speak to the accommodation office. They normally rent out halls over the summer as hotel-style / conference accommodation, and so they should be able to fit you in somewhere.
Reply 5
thanks for all the clarification guys!
I took a look at manchester student homes website, though when i choose the semester lets options, there are no results. is 6 months considered long lets?
also, just another thing with the halls, in general, how early do they let you know if youve been accepted in or not?
Original post by thehay
thanks for all the clarification guys!
I took a look at manchester student homes website, though when i choose the semester lets options, there are no results. is 6 months considered long lets?
also, just another thing with the halls, in general, how early do they let you know if youve been accepted in or not?

Have you had a look at / posted on the message board? http://www.manchesterstudenthomes.com/MessageBoard

You can also try the TSR subforum http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=576

With regards to halls, if you have an unconditional offer (i.e. aren't waiting on any grades to come out that your place depends upon) then normally they let you know in June / July.
Reply 7
thanks for the links. I've been looking at gumtree too. Probably choose a private shared house in fallowfield if i find one.

btw, is there any use for a sleeping bag over there? like.. does it get really cold in the winter around the house? hmm.. does it snow normally?
Original post by thehay
thanks for the links. I've been looking at gumtree too. Probably choose a private shared house in fallowfield if i find one.

btw, is there any use for a sleeping bag over there? like.. does it get really cold in the winter around the house? hmm.. does it snow normally?

The real problem, unfortunately, is fuel prices, as that means that people can't afford to put the heating on much. So yes, it does get cold inside and you will end up wearing several jumpers at once! A sleeping bag is nice to curl up on the sofa with, but you could also just use your duvet (NB you'll need to supply your own bedding, wherever you choose to live, although obviously you can buy it when you get here - Primark in Piccadilly Gardens is a good, cheap place to go for it).

As for snow, you normally find that you get some snow falling during the winter. Whether or not it pitches (i.e. stays on the ground) is more variable, as it depends on how cold the ground is and when it last rained. It's pitched for the last 4 or so years for at least a few days, and year before last it stayed for about 6 weeks, by which time everyone was well and truly fed up of it! However, it won't necessarily pitch in the winter that you're here, but if it does then it's most likely to happen in January / February.

If it helps, then a British summer is a lot like Brisbane in the "depths" of winter (when I was wearing shorts...), but in winter it will regularly go sub-zero, and stay there. We're having a bit of a heatwave at the moment - 24C!
Reply 9
Sorry for the extremely late reply (caught up with uni), and I also just found your quote in the accom thread you suggested for me. Thanks for all your help so far.

I ended up finding somewhere city area, near MBS where I'll be studying. It was difficult finding student accom for only one term in fallowfield and the other student areas.

I'm slightly worried though, because its sorta on the right edge of hulme, and ive read that hulme has a rather high crime rate. But i hope that its close enough to the city for it to be okay.

I was doing some research and I see that the closest supermarket is a Albaraka Supermarket. Is that a decent supermarket or is busing it to market street a better option?

You have been to Brisbane? that cool, I don't think even I have been to brisbane. lol. might have passed it on way to gold coast though.
Original post by thehay
Sorry for the extremely late reply (caught up with uni), and I also just found your quote in the accom thread you suggested for me. Thanks for all your help so far.

I ended up finding somewhere city area, near MBS where I'll be studying. It was difficult finding student accom for only one term in fallowfield and the other student areas.

I'm slightly worried though, because its sorta on the right edge of hulme, and ive read that hulme has a rather high crime rate. But i hope that its close enough to the city for it to be okay.

I was doing some research and I see that the closest supermarket is a Albaraka Supermarket. Is that a decent supermarket or is busing it to market street a better option?

You have been to Brisbane? that cool, I don't think even I have been to brisbane. lol. might have passed it on way to gold coast though.

Is that private halls / own flat / shared house?

Hulme isn't a great area - albeit not horrific - but you're unlikely to have anything serious happen to you anyway. For instance, the vast majority of murders (in general, not just in Manchester) are committed by people known to the victim - random attacks are very rare in comparison. It's possible that you could be mugged - but again, it's unlikely, and you're highly unlikely to actually be hurt in a mugging, unless you put up a fight (and what's taken is only material, although it can be frightening).

I've never heard of Albakara Supermarket (and google doesn't turn up any real results?!) However, whilst Market Street is great if you want to buy clothes / shoes / frivolities, the only supermarket there is Aldi, which is quite small and (although it's cheap) it can be quite hit and miss in terms of what is in that week (it's one of the best places for spirits though). You'll be much better off going to Asda, which is our equivalent of Woolworths / Coles, cheaper, and gigantic. It's on the border of Hulme and Moss Side.

I worked in Brissy for two months :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by Origami Bullets
Is that private halls / own flat / shared house?

Hulme isn't a great area - albeit not horrific - but you're unlikely to have anything serious happen to you anyway. For instance, the vast majority of murders (in general, not just in Manchester) are committed by people known to the victim - random attacks are very rare in comparison. It's possible that you could be mugged - but again, it's unlikely, and you're highly unlikely to actually be hurt in a mugging, unless you put up a fight (and what's taken is only material, although it can be frightening).

I've never heard of Albakara Supermarket (and google doesn't turn up any real results?!) However, whilst Market Street is great if you want to buy clothes / shoes / frivolities, the only supermarket there is Aldi, which is quite small and (although it's cheap) it can be quite hit and miss in terms of what is in that week (it's one of the best places for spirits though). You'll be much better off going to Asda, which is our equivalent of Woolworths / Coles, cheaper, and gigantic. It's on the border of Hulme and Moss Side.

I worked in Brissy for two months :biggrin:

Its a shared flat, with one other student. I hope its okay, its only about 3 blocks opal house.
And oops i meant Al baraka Supermarket, it shows up on googlemaps but street view doesnt look convincing. asda looks close enough. thanks!
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest