The Student Room Group

What Book Are You Reading Now? Mk II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The Road - Cormac McCarthy.
I'll be starting on one of the Sherlock Holmes stories or The Two Towers come Tuesday night.
Original post by SirMasterKey
I'll be starting on one of the Sherlock Holmes stories or The Two Towers come Tuesday night.

:holmes: The Holmes' novels or short story collections? I personally read them chronologically; you have a better overview and understanding of the character/relationship development of Holmes - so much so you'd probably appreciate whichever case in hand more than picking a story out of the blue. :smile:
Sense and Sensibility :smile: Again :smile:
Original post by Phalanges
Now that the last thread has been filled, it's time for a new one! Previous thread can be found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=100193

I am currently reading Scorsese by Ebert. Pretty damn good read.

Post 10000 on the previous incarnation of this thread was a real let down! In days gone past they'd be a post frenzy to get the top spot! :ninja2: :colondollar:
Original post by crazyferret
:holmes: The Holmes' novels or short story collections? I personally read them chronologically; you have a better overview and understanding of the character/relationship development of Holmes - so much so you'd probably appreciate whichever case in hand more than picking a story out of the blue. :smile:

Short stories, I'm reading them in the order in the book I have. I just need to pick it up to tell you which one I'm on :tongue:

I've read Study in Scarlet and Sign of the Four and I know I'm now past Spectled Band. I can't really imagine reading them in any other order if it is in order. I mean it would be a bit like (but not as much of course) reading the last Harry Potter book first. I like it with the developing characters.

I'm onto Silver Blaze, just checked.
Reply 66
Just finished Perverting the Course of Justice and am now about start reading Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.
Good Omens - Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

For the fifth time :h:
Priestess of the White - Trudi Canavan :smile:
Reply 69
The Way of Kings - Brandon Sanderson

After reading his Mistborn Trilogy, which was amazing :smile: ive just started his latest book :biggrin:
Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel. Absolutely incredible!
Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression by Sally Brampton.
Reply 72
Shoot the Damn Dog: A Memoir of Depression by Sally Brampton.

Is that any good?
Original post by laut_biru
Is that any good?

I've not finished it but, with respect to your question, yes and no. It's very much a personal account, it gives the reader a quite...raw insight into the author's personal experience of depression.

It depends on why you're reading it tbh? For an outsider looking in you'd get a sense of the personal feelings, turmoil at time, the mind of someone with quite frankly severe depression experiences.

In that respect it succeeds on giving someone who isn't dogged by The Black Dog (as termed by Churchill) a startling insight into the depressive's mind. I personally found her account somewhat visceral in parts. She however succeeds in steering clear of the self-help crap a lot of similiar authors end up focussing on. Emotional, engaging, far removed from regular academic literature in that respect. Worth a read, if you're interested.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 74
I've not finished it but, with respect to your question, yes and no. It's very much a personal account, it gives the reader a quite...raw insight into the author's personal experience of depression.

It depends on why you're reading it tbh? For an outsider looking in you'd get a sense of the personal feelings, turmoil at time, the mind of someone with quite frankly severe depression experiences.

In that respect it succeeds on giving someone who isn't dogged by The Black Dog (as termed by Churchill) a startling insight into the depressive's mind. I personally found her account somewhat visceral in parts. She however succeeds in steering clear of the self-help crap a lot of similiar authors end up focussing on. Emotional, engaging, far removed from regular academic literature in that respect. Worth a read, if you're interested.

Out of interest, are you reading it from an non-depressives perspective?

I have to say, I can't claim the same thing, which is more the basis of my interest (that probably seems odd..).
Original post by laut_biru
Out of interest, are you reading it from an non-depressives perspective?

I have to say, I can't claim the same thing, which is more the basis of my interest (that probably seems odd..).

Hmmm, well depression could clinically be classified as a chemical imbalance in the sufferer's brain (hence why we prescribe SSRI's amongst other things) yet, it's obviously so much more. Yes, genetically people can be predisposed to depression. But aren't emotions, love for example, a chemical change/imbalance at times per se? We use drugs to dull the symptoms of depression but the underlying cause remains (hence why going off meds can be problematic). It brings up the question that perhaps the depressive state of mind is what in fact characterises the sufferer, we only treat it as it's not wholly compatible with living life (as non-depressives deem it). But what about being misanthropic? There's a huge grey area around all of it.

The book was good in the respect that you can explore someone's midset with severe depression. I read the book, personally, to get an idea of what someone with quite severe depression experiences.
Reply 76
Currently reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey. The narration can be a little repetitive, but it's a good read! :smile:
Looking for Alaska by John Green. Such a good book, so far!
The Hunger Games - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Started reading the first one about three days ago when I was bored, then got all addicted and had to lend the next 2.
Not as into it now I've spoilt the ending for myself.
Reply 79
Original post by duckjustice

Original post by duckjustice
The Hunger Games - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

Started reading the first one about three days ago when I was bored, then got all addicted and had to lend the next 2.
Not as into it now I've spoilt the ending for myself.

Ahh, AWESOME series! My favourite was Catching Fire; I can't wait for the film! Though I'm not all that impressed with the casting so far :/
I wasn't a huge fan of Mockingjay tbh, but it was still a great book; hope you enjoy it despite spoiling the end :P

Quick Reply

Latest