The Student Room Group

2012: The year the SQA went nice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RyJ
I think they will be, some of higher was quite dodgy last year...

Yep, only did SG last year but by god the circle question,my teacher had to sit down for twenty minutes to figure it out.

Thought the integration one to find a value was strange never though of putting it with wave function
Reply 21
I haven't had any exams yet but it sounds like the SQA might be being nice this year. I'm thinking H Chemistry/Physics/Biology might be quite decent as there's the introduction of the Revised Highers for all of them and some of their questions are identical, also there's no revision materials for those new courses. I'm doing the Revised Physics course so I'm hopeful :rolleyes:
Reply 22
I dont know if the SQA sit down and make an informed decision that they're going to 'be nice'. There are different setters for all of the exams and different head markers, so I think it does just go subject by subject really. On a lighter note, h ere's hoping! Fingers crossed for a straight forward close reading paper for Higher English especially :P

Also, I'd immagine they will make the revised courses quite straight forward! Hopefully this'll mean the old courses are the same to an extent :smile:

I hope this years history paper2 will be another gift, because last year was the first year and they made it nice and simple. Maybe they'll do the same this year?
I've only had Geography so far,but I did find it to be really fair overall.I did say after I came out of the exam to my friend,I wonder if the SQA are being nice this year compared to last year? I'm hoping it rings true for my other exams,History especially.
Original post by OddThings
I've only had Geography so far,but I did find it to be really fair overall.I did say after I came out of the exam to my friend,I wonder if the SQA are being nice this year compared to last year? I'm hoping it rings true for my other exams,History especially.

Hey I've not seen you around lately on TSR. I hope you're coping with things. :smile: :fluffy:
I've not had any exams yet - first is English on Thursday, but I'm seriously praying this is right.. apparently Modern Studies and Geography have been fair so I'm hoping History has good questions!! :h:
But does it actually make any difference? Surely if the exams are easier then the grade boundaries are higher... Isn't it how it works? :smile:
Bit harsh to say the SQA was evil last year - Higher Chemistry was hard, but the Higher English Close Reading was a gift, the History essays were straightforward, Latin (ha! no one cares about Latin) was easy as usual, Physics was lovely...

That said, if they want to be easy this year, bring it on. My Physics and Chemistry investigations are not going to afford me much wiggle room in the exam, I fear.
Original post by Quick-use
Hey I've not seen you around lately on TSR. I hope you're coping with things. :smile: :fluffy:

I've been busy,studying mainly what with the exams upon us. I'm doing well thanks,really have altered my mindset towards all these sort of things which has helped a lot.
Original post by derangedyoshi
Bit harsh to say the SQA was evil last year - Higher Chemistry was hard, but the Higher English Close Reading was a gift, the History essays were straightforward, Latin (ha! no one cares about Latin) was easy as usual, Physics was lovely...

That said, if they want to be easy this year, bring it on. My Physics and Chemistry investigations are not going to afford me much wiggle room in the exam, I fear.

I have done last years Latin paper as a past paper and I do agree.I'm hoping it's the same this year :smile:
I have done last years Latin paper as a past paper and I do agree.I'm hoping it's the same this year :smile:

Latin is no longer confined to the wildernesses of the exam timetable this year, is it? It's actually in May :L

Could be a disadvantage, I spent the best past of 2 weeks learning the interpretation passages inside out because it was so long after my other exams.
Original post by derangedyoshi
Latin is no longer confined to the wildernesses of the exam timetable this year, is it? It's actually in May :L

Could be a disadvantage, I spent the best past of 2 weeks learning the interpretation passages inside out because it was so long after my other exams.

Yeah that is true,I've worked out I will have nearly two weeks to revise that along with two other subjects,however I am doing a couple of hours of interpretation/translation work and reading over summarized notes of the passages a day so I'm hoping it will be okay.I have a weekend before the exam to fully focus on nothing but Latin as well which is a benefit.
I've been busy,studying mainly what with the exams upon us. I'm doing well thanks,really have altered my mindset towards all these sort of things which has helped a lot.

I'm glad you're doing much better. :smile: Good luck with everything. Hopefully all your hard work will pay off. :biggrin:
I'm glad you're doing much better. :smile: Good luck with everything. Hopefully all your hard work will pay off. :biggrin:

I'm hoping the same :smile: Just chilling at the moment,got an exam tomorrow and been revising all day,I've discovered if I leave time to chill,then I feel better the next day. Or maybe thats just my excuse for not revising right until like 11pm like I should be tbh.
derangedyoshi

off topic stuff

I'm hoping the same :smile: Just chilling at the moment,got an exam tomorrow and been revising all day,I've discovered if I leave time to chill,then I feel better the next day. Or maybe thats just my excuse for not revising right until like 11pm like I should be tbh.

Honestly, what you're doing is fine. The exams which I revised for loads and then relaxed the day/night before I was the most confident for, and I actually seriously enjoyed those exams. :smile:

What you're doing is fine, you seem especially prepared and confident and I'm very much so proud of you! :biggrin: You've come a long way, ja? :wink:
Honestly, what you're doing is fine. The exams which I revised for loads and then relaxed the day/night before I was the most confident for, and I actually seriously enjoyed those exams. :smile:

What you're doing is fine, you seem especially prepared and confident and I'm very much so proud of you! :biggrin: You've come a long way, ja? :wink:

haha ja genau :smile:
Reply 37
I sat my Highers last year and I don't think the exams were even remotely harder than previous years. Maths had a few odd questions, I'll give you that, but English close reading was rather easy and the essay questions were a Godsend. Mods was also very fair, (and from what I've heard, the DME was more difficult this year) and I don't remember feeling any different towards Biology or Computing in comparison to past papers. That being said, I've yet to sit any exams this year, so perhaps they are easier.
Original post by Semple
I sat my Highers last year and I don't think the exams were even remotely harder than previous years. Maths had a few odd questions, I'll give you that, but English close reading was rather easy and the essay questions were a Godsend. Mods was also very fair, (and from what I've heard, the DME was more difficult this year) and I don't remember feeling any different towards Biology or Computing in comparison to past papers. That being said, I've yet to sit any exams this year, so perhaps they are easier.

Higher mods and computing were gifts last year, but the general consensus was the exams were hard across the board.

I remember the night before higher Modies last year the questions were pretty much leaked on TSR :tongue:
Can I just say SQA are always nice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest