The Student Room Group

I don't want to share my essays :(

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
i wouldnt share my essays, i dont like other people reading my work that much, i always get self conscious that my work isnt good enough, even though i know iv done a good job on it and generally get good grades, i just feel they should stay private if you arent comfortable showing them, especially to people you dont get on with. your teacher should have at least asked you first before just telling people they could borrow them. thougg on my course weve actually been told not to let other people read our essays, as it can influence their work and lead to inadvertantly copying them, so its a good excuse not to give other people my essays to read.

if they really need help i would have no problem sitting with them and explaining what they should do or giving them the notes i took on the module sessions that we had where the lecturers explained what we should do for each part of the assignments as sometimes that can help them.
Reply 21
A difficult one. I have a friendship group of 4 on the course (3 plus me). We are all usually in the top 6 in assignments so we get pestered by people who want to join our group. We work together because we are friends and for no other reason but people will not accept that - not even the lecturers.
Original post by Anonymous
Keep anon- am anticipating lots of neg rep and 'omdz u is so selfish...derp...derp' comments.

Basically, my lecturer at uni has always given me good marks, and has told people who want to improve their marks to read my essays to help them.

The problem is- I don't particularly like any of the people who have asked- one girl saw me at an exam today and blanked me (nice), then two hours later was asking me to email her my essays. :rolleyes:

Equally, I'm proud of my work and feel like it's private and I'd like to keep it to myself. Also there is always the possibility that my marks are so high because I'm 'getting' the essay writing style, and the rest of the class aren't. If they all improve theirs to match mine, then my essays won't stand out as being so distinctly good any more, they'll just blend in and become average, so my marks could suffer. My degree class prediction could also fall.

TSR, what should I do? Hand over my work or not?

Thaaaaaanks. :colondollar:

I completely agree- if someone was bitchy/blanked me all year and came around all sweet when they wanted to use me for something I would tell them to **** right off. Equally, if it was someone who was sweet to me/ did things for me too I would happily hand over my essay. People may call it selfish, but, at the end of the day everyone is looking out for themselves and ultimately if your degree mark goes down you are the only person who will suffer. If you don't like the idea DON'T do it!! :colondollar:
Original post by Sammy95
share your knowledge? if you dont want to give her the essay, give her a list of stuff to include and some tips on writing style. you'll feel really good when you see you've helped someone become better :smile:

You must be a really nice person, I know if someone was mean to me/blanked me all year I would find it very hard to put all of that aside and help them, especially knowing that they would probably go back to blanking me after I'd helped them :smile:
Original post by rippedbanana

a common misconception in classroom is "everyone for himself."

But why is this untrue? I know that if I did someone a favour/explained something to someone, 99% of them would not be willing to do the same for me. Selfishness is very common and most people don't give a damn about others as long as they understand/ have whatever they need. A few commenters on this thread have said that they would help regardless but if the situation actually arose I wonder how many of the would actually do it (note: I'm not saying that people who said they would give the essay are liars but I think these people are very noble or believe that they would)/
Reply 25
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
You must be a really nice person, I know if someone was mean to me/blanked me all year I would find it very hard to put all of that aside and help them, especially knowing that they would probably go back to blanking me after I'd helped them :smile:

aww thank you! :smile: well people tell me i tend to be too nice and forget myself :tongue: make sure you dont end up like me! always remember yourself first :smile: but come on, some people are actually nice towards you once you help them, and there's no harm in helping her without letting her copy your work :redface:
As someone who's been asked to do the same, and given in to giving work to people who only want to use you and ignore you the rest of the time, don't give the work. You've no obligation to anyone in your class, and it's pretty out of line of your lecturer. Your work, your choice.
Reply 27
Original post by internet tough guy
Have you ever talked to her?

if not, then I can't see anything wrong with her blanking you, its just like walking pass a stranger on the street :dontknow:

If that is the case, surely a stranger off the street asking to use your work is even odder??
Original post by Flicker
If that is the case, surely a stranger off the street asking to use your work is even odder??

This forum is full of complete strangers asking for help on their academic work, doesn't strike me as being odd.

At the end of the day, its about helping another person and its your own choice whether to offer this help or not.
I can't believe all these accounts of peope sending out work that is not annoymous or even permission asked.
I was struggling on essay technique and I went to a lecturer who was really helpful and said she could see where I was struggling and said she remembered an essay that was doing what I wasnt basically and she emailed them and asked for the permission for me to read it. I had to assure that I would not show it to anyone else and I was not told who's it was.
It should be like that all over.
In fact at our uni, they will let you look at previous dissertations that are good, but again I believe they were all given permission, and are all annoymous.
rather than hassling you and getting you to hand your essays out to help the rest of the class your lecturer should actually be doing there job and write essays themselves if they belive that would help the class or teach them more about writing styles e.t.c. Dont do the lecturers work for them! especially if they didnt ask you first as thats out of order tbh.
Reply 31
Original post by internet tough guy
This forum is full of complete strangers asking for help on their academic work, doesn't strike me as being odd.

At the end of the day, its about helping another person and its your own choice whether to offer this help or not.

If I was planning on asking for someone for work and I saw them that morning, even if I hadn't spoken to them before I think I would make an effort to at least say hello on the morning!

It's different to come onto a forum compared to having the opportunity to ask face to face and not taking it...
Original post by Cinnamon_Twist
But why is this untrue? I know that if I did someone a favour/explained something to someone, 99% of them would not be willing to do the same for me. Selfishness is very common and most people don't give a damn about others as long as they understand/ have whatever they need. A few commenters on this thread have said that they would help regardless but if the situation actually arose I wonder how many of the would actually do it (note: I'm not saying that people who said they would give the essay are liars but I think these people are very noble or believe that they would)/

dont be so bitter. there are enough bitter and ignorant women as you can see on this thread. we dont need any more of these. bitterness, paranoia and superstition are 3 qualities i despise in others.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Sammy95
share your knowledge? if you dont want to give her the essay, give her a list of stuff to include and some tips on writing style. you'll feel really good when you see you've helped someone become better :smile:

Agreed. dont go sending your work to random people on email because it will become worthless and you will become agitated that no one thanks you for it. If someone you like asks if you could read through your essay with you and see where he or she went wrong and in a polite way then I don't see the problem. Plus it will help you understand why you are gaining such high marks.
Reply 34
dont be so bitter. there are enough bitter and ignorant women as you can see on this thread. we dont need any more of these. bitterness, paranoia and superstition are 3 qualities i despise in others.

I love how men have posted pretty much the same as everyone else on this thread, yet the bitter and ignorant ones are women...:rolleyes:
Why should you have to share your essays with people? He should have atleast asked you first if it was okay with you and its not your job to help other people to get good marks thats down to them. Don't feel pressured into sharing your essays if you want to keep them to yourself you do that! Its up to other people to work harder.
I think your lecturer is being an unprofessional dweeb.

Have a word with him next time you see him ,and let him know that you don't appreciate him whoring out your personal essays without your permission.

'bitter and ignorant women' AMAZING. you sound like a sheltered teen who's either never interacted with real people...im just really confused as to why you think understanding that people are indeed selfish is such a /cynical/ viewpoint when really, it's common sense. also no one else gives a ******* about your preferences.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending