The Student Room Group

Do corporate lawyers in London really make that much money?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nulli tertius
There will be some outliers. Beresfords of Doncaster had the two highest earning solicitors in the country before they were struck off. I don't know whether Sir Nigel Knowles still works out of Dibbs' Sheffield office. Goodness knows what Maurice Watkins at Brabners earns.There are also one or two very high earning criminal solicitors

Yes there will be a couple of outliers, but not really enough to influence the statistics hugely.

The 2009 figures for private practice were just over 85,000 of which over 37,000 worked in London. 12,450 of those London solicitors were salaried or equity partners. 400 is still only a little over 3% of London partners.

Are those figures for the City or including Greater London as well? Still a lot higher than the original estimate. The vast majority of those 400 will be working at the top city firms or US firms. So when you then look at it as a percentage of partners at these firms, it will again be much higher. I also imagine that if we lowered the salary to say £700,000 or £800,000 the percentage of lawyers earning these sums would be quite a bit higher.

edit: Knowles is now the CEO of DLA Piper I believe
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by mirin?
For around net 60k income in your 30's lol. It's not worth it. Yes you get to work with some of the most influential people in the world on some of the most historical deals if you get promoted to a decent level, but then what?

You have extraordinarily high ambitions.

Let me put it this way. You can get very happily middle class wealthy as a city lawyer and that's enough for most people to be content.

Don't expect to be driving luxury cars and having a property empire and living in a penthouse. I know which people get to live that lifestyle - we interact with them as our clients. We see them at signings. I've been sent to their houses before to get documents signed. Do I want to be like them? No. I'm happy to be upper middle class because I don't think I need to make more than the very substantial salaries offered by City law firms.
Reply 62
Original post by RobertWhite
I'm a little confused by you. Do you want to go into Law or what?

On some threads you proclaim you and Law don't mix. In others you say being a lawyer isn't all that great and they earn average salaries. Then you say you're going to get into a MC firm? None of your posts are making any sense to me. It seems you've come from asking a question about how much corporate lawyers earn to believing you're some kind of expert on the subject? I don't understand why'd you want to go into Law if you don't like it?

I didn't do my research well enough. And when I did, I didn't like what I found out.
Reply 63
Original post by The West Wing
You have extraordinarily high ambitions.

Let me put it this way. You can get very happily middle class wealthy as a city lawyer and that's enough for most people to be content.

Don't expect to be driving luxury cars and having a property empire and living in a penthouse. I know which people get to live that lifestyle - we interact with them as our clients. We see them at signings. I've been sent to their houses before to get documents signed. Do I want to be like them? No. I'm happy to be upper middle class because I don't think I need to make more than the very substantial salaries offered by City law firms.

Are you a barrister in London?
Reply 64
Original post by mirin?
I didn't do my research well enough. And when I did, I didn't like what I found out.

You're only going to earn a lot of money in Law if you enjoy what you do and are good at it. In every profession most people will be earning average salaries - it's those people who stand out who will earn the highest salary. Virtually no profession can guarantee you being rich... but many can offer the possibility. Go and do what you enjoy, that way you'll enjoy your one life on this earth and possibly become rich from it... except if you want to go into counselling... not many people get rich off that.
Original post by mirin?
Are you a barrister in London?

No. I'm a trainee at a magic circle firm. I was talking about my own career path, which on its current trajectory is unlikely to lead to enormous financial wealth but it will be more than enough for me to lead the life I want.
Reply 66
No. I'm a trainee at a magic circle firm. I was talking about my own career path, which on its current trajectory is unlikely to lead to enormous financial wealth but it will be more than enough for me to lead the life I want.

Well done. You're a Cam grad I believe, did you get a first?

This is the crux of what i'm really saying tbh, i have big ambitions. But i need to start to exert more effort and get the first class grade I know I can get. I need to go out there and get extraordinary work experience, networks, basically stuff on my C.V. that marks me out as exceptional.

I believe I am unfortunate to have come from a very successful family, because if i didn't i wouldn't have pride issues and i wouldn't be worrying over whether i live up to their standards. But hey, such is life. It's more a personal thing for me.
Reply 67

wow, magic circle? i dont see how being on that sort of career path could NOT lead you to enormous financial wealth (unless of course you and I have vastly differing opinions on what qualifies as "enormous wealth")

without seeming rude, how much roughly does that career path offer financially?
and also, in your opinion, is it worth the massive work load and great effort?
or does that not bother you because you enjoy your work?

i think these are the sort of questions the OP should be asking himself too, because he shouldnt be going into law if he doesnt think the effort is worth the income.
Original post by mirin?
Well done. You're a Cam grad I believe, did you get a first?

This is the crux of what i'm really saying tbh, i have big ambitions. But i need to start to exert more effort and get the first class grade I know I can get. I need to go out there and get extraordinary work experience, networks, basically stuff on my C.V. that marks me out as exceptional.

I believe I am unfortunate to have come from a very successful family, because if i didn't i wouldn't have pride issues and i wouldn't be worrying over whether i live up to their standards. But hey, such is life. It's more a personal thing for me.

Yes I got a first but it's hardly the be all and end all of getting a TC as I'm sure you know (I think of it more as a way to get through the door).

I think from your perspective you need to decide what you want to do first of all. If you do the law thing you will have to invest another 3 years of your life in it. Given the hours there will be times when you will make near enough minimum wage. I only worked two weekends and a bank holiday in the last 3 months, but there are people who have worked most of their weekends.

If you pick the law route you will be in it for the long haul, put aside the money considerations and decide if the content of the work is something that appeals to you because it will be a living hell otherwise.
Reply 69
Original post by mirin?
My point was that people are governed by money, we are all governed by it whether we like it or not so the suggestions that its not that important are flawed. Firms have a right to call me out on this and that , that i feel a sense of entitlement etc because they have... you guessed it money and i am trying to get hired because they have that money. Without the money what would they be? Not much i would think.

We are governed partly by our need for money. We are also governed by our need to reproduce (surely a far more base desire), to be loved, to have relationships, to get satisfaction from what we spend our lives doing, to have fun etc. Money certainly can't buy all of those listed and it is not the only thing that governs us. I doubt you would turn to your wife on your death bed and go 'if only I'd spent more time in the office running up my billing hours'.

That depends on the firm, if I'm applying for MC or American firms their wealth appeals but if I want to go to a civil rights chambers it is the opportunity to make a difference that I want more than the salary. If you want to do many other jobs these sorts of things have an influence, as well as the salary itself.

It's understandable you feel a need to live up to expectations of your family, don't we all, but surely they will have pride in you for things besides money? I think many people would be proud of a child who was for example a Macmillan nurse or, more extreme example, Olympic medallist as much as they would be a child who worked in private equity earning mega bucks. You can achieve in ways not measured on a balance sheet, that's just an easy way to visualise achievement.

Also, I suspect lawyers at firms such as Bingham, Skadden, Cleary, Latham etc. would have something to say about your claim in another post that only the MC 'deserve to be high and mighty' given many of them will have turned down MC jobs, as well as vicea versa.
(edited 11 years ago)
Not sure why the OP is getting so much stick for being driven by money. The only difference between him and everyone else is that he's being honest to himself. Accountants at PwC didn't try desperately hard in A-Levels to get into a good university, fight for an internship and struggle for a position for any other reason than for the money. This is the same for law grads aiming at MC firms. Why don't they aim at smaller firms to be accountants and lawyers? Money, which in turn comes respect and power (or a sense thereof).

Sure, enjoying your career would be nice, but is it always realistic and necessary? And why can't you enjoy your career simply because it's paid well? You'll probably have a spring in your step, more enthusiasm and more eagerness if you knew that at the end of that long day, you just added £300 to your bank balance. Does anyone in front office of an IB genuinely enjoy their 80 hour weeks? Same goes for solicitors working 12 hour days, and everyone else getting up at 5am to get on the tube and go off to their big firm and get their big salary. If they got a pay cut to the UK average salary, would they still enjoy their work?

Come on, it's all for the money. But let's not confuse this motivation for money as just being materialistic. Earning a lot of money gives you a sense of pride and respect - it also opens up opportunities, e.g. charity and travelling. It's not simply so that you can buy expensive clothes or have a villa in Spain - it's the feeling you get from wearing nice clothes and the enjoyment of spending your summer in Spain with your family. From all of this enjoyment is derived.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many people who genuinely enjoy their job and the satisfaction they get from this is much greater to them than what they would get from travelling, wearing nice clothes, eating out, driving their dream car, etc. etc. However, I don't think you find these people aiming for perfect academics and applying to big firms in London.

Just trying to add some perspective.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by fudgesundae
Yes there will be a couple of outliers, but not really enough to influence the statistics hugely.

Are those figures for the City or including Greater London as well? Still a lot higher than the original estimate. The vast majority of those 400 will be working at the top city firms or US firms. So when you then look at it as a percentage of partners at these firms, it will again be much higher. I also imagine that if we lowered the salary to say £700,000 or £800,000 the percentage of lawyers earning these sums would be quite a bit higher.

Those are figures for Greater London, but the problem is that once you apply geography rather than the nature of the practice, the "City" becomes meaningless. Clifford Chance are a Tower Hamlets firm.

edit: Knowles is now the CEO of DLA Piper I believe

The "D" and "L" in DLA are from Dibb Lupton, the name of the original Sheffield firm which Knowles joined when they took over Broomheads to which Knowles was articled. Most older solicitors will still know them as Dibbs. All of Dibbs back office functions are still in Sheffield.
Reply 72
Original post by maskofsanity
Not sure why the OP is getting so much stick for being driven by money. The only difference between him and everyone else is that he's being honest to himself. Accountants at PwC didn't try desperately hard in A-Levels to get into a good university, fight for an internship and struggle for a position for any other reason than for the money. This is the same for law grads aiming at MC firms. Why don't they aim at smaller firms to be accountants and lawyers? Money, which in turn comes respect and power (or a sense thereof).

Sure, enjoying your career would be nice, but is it always realistic and necessary? And why can't you enjoy your career simply because it's paid well? You'll probably have a spring in your step, more enthusiasm and more eagerness if you knew that at the end of that long day, you just added £300 to your bank balance. Does anyone in front office of an IB genuinely enjoy their 80 hour weeks? Same goes for solicitors working 12 hour days, and everyone else getting up at 5am to get on the tube and go off to their big firm and get their big salary. If they got a pay cut to the UK average salary, would they still enjoy their work?

Come on, it's all for the money. But let's not confuse this motivation for money as just being materialistic. Earning a lot of money gives you a sense of pride and respect - it also opens up opportunities, e.g. charity and travelling. It's not simply so that you can buy expensive clothes or have a villa in Spain - it's the feeling you get from wearing nice clothes and the enjoyment of spending your summer in Spain with your family. From all of this enjoyment is derived.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure there are many people who genuinely enjoy their job and the satisfaction they get from this is much greater to them than what they would get from travelling, wearing nice clothes, eating out, driving their dream car, etc. etc. However, I don't think you find these people aiming for perfect academics and applying to big firms in London.

Just trying to add some perspective.

You have just summed me up. It is not about materialism for me at all. I just want to really achieve something great and money is a great vehicle for measuring success.

And I am cool with the stick people are giving me, I know I can susbstantiate my arguments the vast majority of people.
Reply 73
Yes I got a first but it's hardly the be all and end all of getting a TC as I'm sure you know (I think of it more as a way to get through the door).

I think from your perspective you need to decide what you want to do first of all. If you do the law thing you will have to invest another 3 years of your life in it. Given the hours there will be times when you will make near enough minimum wage. I only worked two weekends and a bank holiday in the last 3 months, but there are people who have worked most of their weekends.

If you pick the law route you will be in it for the long haul, put aside the money considerations and decide if the content of the work is something that appeals to you because it will be a living hell otherwise.

To be honest? I have been totally put off by it, my cousin (the partner) recounted to me his days as as solicitor before he got his big break at Eversheds (as junior partners). He would say that his phone would constantly be on, and that he had to basically sell his soul and family time to his job.

He still hates it because it is all about the problems of other people, more specifically very wealthy people who phone at 2am literally crying about something.

Sure, if i become a partner like him i will earn a lot like him. But, I honestly think that I can do something I enjoy as well as earn that much. My heart and soul is more set on either marketing and stockbroking. They just suit my character more.

I find the questions such as 'why law at this firm?' very difficult to answer because i really am not interested. Nor do i have the academic past of some rival candidates to get the job anyway. Yeah sure i may get the first this year, and therefore overall in my degree. But, i love law far more as an academic pursuit (i want to become a lecturer in the future) rather than a commercial entity. Getting a first is far more for my personal pride and cv than anything else.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 74
This is a really interesting thread to eavesdrop on...
Original post by jfranks
wow, magic circle? i dont see how being on that sort of career path could NOT lead you to enormous financial wealth (unless of course you and I have vastly differing opinions on what qualifies as "enormous wealth")

without seeming rude, how much roughly does that career path offer financially?
and also, in your opinion, is it worth the massive work load and great effort?
or does that not bother you because you enjoy your work?

i think these are the sort of questions the OP should be asking himself too, because he shouldnt be going into law if he doesnt think the effort is worth the income.

Please find attached my explanation why it is not a guaranteed route to riches.

1. Enormous attrition

A lot of people don't know this. Magic Circle firms have a 20-25% annual attrition. This is sometimes referred to as the 'up or out' policy (based on the Cravath model - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cravath_System ). This means every year 20-25% of the associates will leave or get pushed out. Many of these people cannot or choose not to get similar jobs and end up doing less lucrative things. Examples I have heard of include owning a health shop, going into politics, writing a book. Read this website for more examples of this:

http://www.moretolaw.com/morethanlaw/

2. Market uncertainty

City law has been a victim to pay freezes, redundancies, pay cuts since 2007. My firm's trainee solicitor salaries have gone down in real terms since 2007. Every few weeks a different firm announces troubles. Recently we experienced the biggest firm collapse of all time - the extremely prestigious and large M&A firm Dewey & Lebouf. How many partnership redundancy rounds have we heard about recently? Some rather good firms have had to make cuts in the last few months, including Linklaters, A&O, Clifford Chance, Herbert Smith.....

Most people believe we are still over-lawyered, and the legal market is in a state of contraction. This is especially true in the City, where there just isn't enough work to go around. Another factor is that the centre of gravity of the financial world is moving away from Europe and more towards Asia.

3. Lockstep pay and PAYE

The tax system in England really hurts if you're making 60-120k (as most associates are), and employed by a company. There's very limited ways you can 'manage' your taxes, unlike if you own a business, or if you're flexible as to where you're domiciled. Also the pay does substantially plateau after about 5 years of being associate unless you become partner. Taking into account tax you're never going to be extremely rich compared to certain peers in finance (who will probably be your clients, of similar age and experience to you).

I will caveat this information by saying the pay on the whole is extremely good and generous. I would never think given what we do that we are underpaid. For a start there's very little risk taking involved in being a lawyer.
(edited 11 years ago)
Yes.

A more pertinent question is 'could I be a corporate lawyer in London?'.
Reply 77
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Yes.

A more pertinent question is 'could I be a corporate lawyer in London?'.

Yes. But I would actually have to try.

I love it how the butthurt aspiring corporate lawyers are acting well... butthurt. It is funny how this is the first realisation they have come to that the golden pay packet they are seeking is not really that golden.

Fact of life, there will always be someone richer or more important than you. Get over it. You are a slave to the rich corporation and rich individuals. If you are so intelligent as you claim to be why not try to become one yourself instead of taking cheap shots like Aspiringlawstudent?

Oh, i know why, because you never will be. HA.
X

What an excellent post. I made one like it including the attrition rates and PAYE on the first page, but you have worded it so much better than I did.
Reply 79
Nobody is getting at the OP for being "driven by money", I, like another poster above, am just a bit confused as to why he came looking for advice in the legal section when he appears to be so adamant he is above such a career. Ah yes, because since starting this thread a few hours ago he has done some research and discovered law isn't for him. Well damn, our loss I suppose as he's going to knuckle down and get a 1st class degree and some connections and become exceptional at...well, we're not quite sure what yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending