The Student Room Group

Sheffield Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by cute_wish
I see.What have you got this year ?
Nah ! Leeds is my 1st choice.what about you?

Going to Sheffield to study Medicine in 16 days! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 41
Original post by Vulpes
Going to Sheffield to study Medicine in 16 days! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Oh congrats ! So you are an officical "medical student" now :smile: thts great ... !!
I thought you were going to re-apply this year... anyways..what other unis did you apply to and how many offers did you get? I have got an average of 580 UKCAT score which I know is not so good.I hope you can give me some advice as we have this " int'l " thingy in common.
Reply 42
Original post by cute_wish
Oh congrats ! So you are an officical "medical student" now :smile: thts great ... !!
I thought you were going to re-apply this year... anyways..what other unis did you apply to and how many offers did you get? I have got an average of 580 UKCAT score which I know is not so good.I hope you can give me some advice as we have this " int'l " thingy in common.

Haha sure thing! Feel free to PM me about anything. 2 offers (Shef & Glasgow) and I withdrew from Leeds and Aberdeen. (Wanted to go to shef so there wasn't any point waiting) :smile:
Reply 43
Original post by Vulpes
Haha sure thing! Feel free to PM me about anything. 2 offers (Shef & Glasgow) and I withdrew from Leeds and Aberdeen. (Wanted to go to shef so there wasn't any point waiting) :smile:

Out of curiosity, were you a re applicant?
Reply 44
Original post by hookguy
Out of curiosity, were you a re applicant?

Nope. :smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Vulpes
Nope. :smile:

Ah ok!

What was your UKCAT average last year? I sort of feel the same way, really want to go to Sheffield and would withdraw from my other places if I just got a Sheffield offer.
Reply 46
Original post by hookguy
Ah ok!

What was your UKCAT average last year? I sort of feel the same way, really want to go to Sheffield and would withdraw from my other places if I just got a Sheffield offer.

Pretty average tbh :frown: So lets not go into that :biggrin:
Reply 47
I asked about the UKCAT cut off at the open day and they told me they were increasing the amount of people interviewing (and therefore interviewed for a place) by about an extra third, so as people with a lower UKCAT but who are decent applicant still get a shot. They told me the aim was to interview everybody in the top 37.5/40% of score, which they said should be anything over 670/680. So thats a massive win for anybody with scores between 670 and 720ish, makes it alot more fair in my opinion!! Spread the word so as many people know as possibe, I kno I would be GUTTED if i didnt apply cause i thought the cut off would be 700+ and then found out it was below!!
MM
Reply 48
Original post by medimike
I asked about the UKCAT cut off at the open day and they told me they were increasing the amount of people interviewing (and therefore interviewed for a place) by about an extra third, so as people with a lower UKCAT but who are decent applicant still get a shot. They told me the aim was to interview everybody in the top 37.5/40% of score, which they said should be anything over 670/680. So thats a massive win for anybody with scores between 670 and 720ish, makes it alot more fair in my opinion!! Spread the word so as many people know as possibe, I kno I would be GUTTED if i didnt apply cause i thought the cut off would be 700+ and then found out it was below!!
MM

Thats great news! If only they'd implemented that last year though :P
Reply 49
MM

If thats the case then I am applying. I will call to make sure. Sheffield was my top choice then after getting a not so good score, i gave up. Thanks for the news though:smile:
Reply 50
Yeah do it, It was one of the lecturers who i asked :smile: I was proper excited when the bloke told me!!
Reply 51
Yeah do it, It was one of the lecturers who i asked :smile: I was proper excited when the bloke told me!!

Haha i can imagine. I am on the same boat. :tongue:
More universities are going away from UKCAT like both Barts and sheffield changed admission policy: used to be UKCAT heavy schools.
p.s. u got an excellent ukcat avg, u had nothing to worry about!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
More applicants!!! Hope to see you all next year :biggrin:
Reply 53
Original post by apple17
If thats the case then I am applying. I will call to make sure. Sheffield was my top choice then after getting a not so good score, i gave up. Thanks for the news though:smile:

That's excellent news.I really want to go to Sheffield and my average is 695, I felt like giving up too.:smile:
Reply 54
MM

which open day was this? went to one in June and they didn't say that then:confused:
Reply 55
Original post by Vulpes
More applicants!!! Hope to see you all next year :biggrin:

Totally envious. :biggrin:
The admission process is slowly killing me. My parents and admission tutor have two different opinions about how a PS should be written
Reply 56
Err it was one in june, i went up to the guys afterwards for a chat cause i liked the school so much but was absolutly bricking my UKCAT. I only just cleared last years average in the end so i was nervous but this calmed me down a hell of alot!!
Reply 57
Err it was one in june, i went up to the guys afterwards for a chat cause i liked the school so much but was absolutly bricking my UKCAT. I only just cleared last years average in the end so i was nervous but this calmed me down a hell of alot!!

Ok, it's just my sister did medicine there and she asked about UKCAT and they just said cutoff high last year due to interviewing 100 less people as they were not allowed to go over their quota,it could possibly be lower this year, but they won't know until November when they have all the scores and applications. Fingers crossed your guy is right.:biggrin:
Reply 58
I got a UKCAT avr of 717.5, I think I'm sstill gonna apply as they said it should be lower and also I would, as said earlier, hate to not apply and then find out that i was above the cut-off. I just really hope that that score is enough though because I sooooooo want to end up at Sheffield!
Reply 59
Original post by kizp
I got a UKCAT avr of 717.5, I think I'm sstill gonna apply as they said it should be lower and also I would, as said earlier, hate to not apply and then find out that i was above the cut-off. I just really hope that that score is enough though because I sooooooo want to end up at Sheffield!

I'm sure you'll be fine with that. Everything is pointing to them lowering the cutoff, but even if they keep it the same, you're still at last years cut off!

Quick Reply