The Student Room Group

*BREAKING NEWS* - Woman in petrol accident - *BREAKING NEWS*

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Bellissima
a lot of people underestimate the dangers of petrol.. it's just an everyday thing. most don't use things such as jerry cans etc. so don't know the risks, and the government encouraging people to store petrol in jerry cans without giving safety warnings or instructions was stupid and irresponsible, they are to blame.

The risk isn't the jerry can it's the petrol, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that petrol is flammable, everybody knows not to smoke in a petrol court because it's flammable. I would rather the government didn't attach patronising safety warning to anything that might lead people to do themselves harm. By saying the government are to blame you are relieving the woman of any responsibility to keep herself safe. That's more dangerous than not telling her that petrol burns IMO.
Original post by LeeC
The risk isn't the jerry can it's the petrol, and it doesn't take a genius to work out that petrol is flammable, everybody knows not to smoke in a petrol court because it's flammable. I would rather the government didn't attach patronising safety warning to anything that might lead people to do themselves harm. By saying the government are to blame you are relieving the woman of any responsibility to keep herself safe. That's more dangerous than not telling her that petrol burns IMO.

the fact is there ARE stupid people in this country, there are plenty of people with no common sense, there are plenty of people who don't think before they do things, especially if the authorities tell them they should do something, they just assume it's safe. yes, everyone knows petrol is flammable, most people know you should not put anything near it like a naked flame or a cigarette, but how many would think it's possible for it to catch alight by just pouring it into different containers? i mean you pump it into your car every day. i didn't say people didn't KNOW the dangers of petrol, they underestimate them. the government knows all of this and should have thought before casually giving out dangerous advice.

it's not the governments fault if people do moronic things, but it is their fault if they encourage people to do moronic things (especially that could seem quite harmless to most people) and people do them.
Reply 22
Original post by HighestKungFu
If the same accident happened with the political backdrop surrounding it I doubt people would be so quick to label this poor woman stupid. That's someone's family member you're talking about there, show some compassion.

I thinkpeople would call her stupid anyway. If she died she'd be up for a Darwin award.
Original post by electriic_ink
Anyone who blindly follows the advice of anyone else is a complete moron, as is anyone who keeps petrol in their kitchen.

would she have been filling up the can if the government hadn't issued advice saying to stock up? Okay she was an idiot for doing it near an open flame, but to be so smug in the fact she suffered 40% burns really gives off the impression you're a demented ****.
Reply 24
As much has I'd like to blame Maude for this, you really can't.

I don't know the stats but I'm presuming people get burned in petrol related accidents on a pretty regular basis, but normally they wouldn't get the coverage. It was only a matter of time before a story like this came out.
Reply 25
the fact is there ARE stupid people in this country, there are plenty of people with no common sense, there are plenty of people who don't think before they do things, especially if the authorities tell them they should do something, they just assume it's safe. yes, everyone knows petrol is flammable, most people know you should not put anything near it like a naked flame or a cigarette, but how many would think it's possible for it to catch alight by just pouring it into different containers? i mean you pump it into your car every day. i didn't say people didn't KNOW the dangers of petrol, they underestimate them. the government knows all of this and should have thought before casually giving out dangerous advice.

it's not the governments fault if people do moronic things, but it is their fault if they encourage people to do moronic things (especially that could seem quite harmless to most people) and people do them.

Yes because the authorities try to babysit everyone to the extent that they no longer think for themselves. The typical example is the 'this coffee is hot' labels on hot drinks.

Petrol doesn't catch alight 'just by pouring it into different containers'. It has to be ignited. If you understand what flammable means, then you should know not to do this in a kitchen. She probably knew but thought it would be alright anyway.
I love how if a labour MP said it you'd all be slating him. Still, come on, that man has very strong part in this. Of course some people would take the advice of an MP, you'd generally think they know what they're talking about.

Lol jk he's Tory. :wink:

Seriously, how can he not be at least partially to blame? Some people are stupid yes, but probably a hell of a lot of people took what he said as legitimate government advice.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommo3
You can blame the press for over exaggerating this supposed fuel strike and for again, taking the jerry can thing too far. It's disgusting how papers tell you how the public should react and how to think.

I agree and think the british media have taken things too far (yet again). Fine, some idiotic comments were made by a couple of ministers but, the media could have easily played it down and focused on the fact the strike isn't even confirmed yet. Instead, they added fuel to the fire.
Reply 28
I like how some people on here are saying she deserved to be horribly and painfully burned. Sadistic or what...

Well said!
Original post by LeeC
Yes because the authorities try to babysit everyone to the extent that they no longer think for themselves. The typical example is the 'this coffee is hot' labels on hot drinks.

Petrol doesn't catch alight 'just by pouring it into different containers'. It has to be ignited. If you understand what flammable means, then you should know not to do this in a kitchen. She probably knew but thought it would be alright anyway.

no, they should just not give out dangerous and stupid advice, especially when everyone is in panic mode. they should have forethought and enough intelligence (they ARE running this country) to see the consequences of their encouragements. people are stupid, petrol is dangerous, government tells general public to effectivly play with petrol by storing it at home in jerry cans. not a good combination.
(edited 12 years ago)
You would think she would know the rules of the kitchen, i.e no flammable liquids around the cooker.
Reply 32
Original post by Maccees
I like how some people on here are saying she deserved to be horribly and painfully burned. Sadistic or what...

I think she deserved it in the way that if somebody drives their car really at 100mph in a 30mph zone and crash, they 'deserve' to crash for being so reckless. I wouldn't wish it on anyone of course.
Reply 33
Original post by PapaShmurff
You would think she would know the rules of the kitchen, i.e no flammable liquids around the cooker.

You mean, like, cooking oil? :rolleyes:

Rules of the kitchen, ffs.
Natural selection in progress. Nothing to see here.
Reply 35
no, they should just not give out dangerous and stupid advice, especially when everyone is in panic mode. they should have forethought and enough intelligence (they ARE running this country) to see the consequences of their encouragements. people are stupid, petrol is dangerous, government tells general public to effectivly play with petrol by storing it at home in jerry cans. not a good combination.

Panic mode? Are you saying this woman was panicking about petrol so much that she forgot it was flammable, rushed into the kitchen and filled up her jerry can as fast as possible?

They didn't give out dangerous advice, they told the public to store petrol in a jerry can, there is some danger but it's not dangerous if you follow simple safety advice that everybody knows. My bet is that she knew it was flammable, she just thought she would get away with it.
a lot of people underestimate the dangers of petrol.. it's just an everyday thing. most don't use things such as jerry cans etc. so don't know the risks, and the government encouraging people to store petrol in jerry cans without giving safety warnings or instructions was stupid and irresponsible, they are to blame.

No. Just no. It was the woman's fault, not the governments, that she underestimated the dangers of petrol. The state can't just babysit you your whole life, she is an adult and should have known that petrol is dangerous, kids do for goodness sake. She has to take responsibility for her own stupidity.
some evil evil comments in here, absolutely vile and sickening, have some respect and compassion
Reply 38
Some hilarious and insensitive generalizations going on in this thread. It's one incident of a woman who didn't think. SKY as per their usual agenda, attempt to politicize a debate out of it.

It's obviously true she should have known better, but to say she 'deserved it' is quite frankly a bit insensitive. Let's just hope the consequences aren't so grave when you do something without thinking. We all do it.

All this story merits is: keep fuel away from any possible sources of naked flame, people. As most know but some may need reminding.

Carry on...
Reply 39
This woman probably was to stupid to realise how flammable petrol is. Even the fumes of petrol can ignite, thus causing the liquid to ignite.

To be honest, she should be grateful to be alive....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending