The Student Room Group

The Official Stocks and Shares Thread

Scroll to see replies

My Proposal for tomorrow:

After the expected jittery markets today, tomorrow could bring about a slight bounce. Having failed to make a profit today, I have chosen an incredibly volatile share of late for my pick - CPP.

Following an FSA investigation and a suspension of trading over the last year and a half their share price has collapsed, with them experiencing further steep falls having resumed trading this week.

Assume you had purchased £10,000 worth of CPP today at 54p. They currently are trading at 54p.

I reckon tomorrow it should rise at least 3.7% to 56p with scope for a larger rise. A bounce will come tomorrow I reckon, the extent to which it rises is debatable. Alternatively it could continue its fall, but people will be looking for the bounce and after heavy falls the risk/reward looks excellent for a day trade.

This would net you at least £370 minus charges so £290 assuming the minimum expected rise on my behalf.

NB: I will NOT be setting a limit on this one so any profit that is made will be not necessarily be at 56p.

Trader2012
Why exactly was I given a negative rating.

Please expand upon the negativity - don't be a coward and neg people for no reason.
Original post by Trader2012
My Proposal for tomorrow:

After the expected jittery markets today, tomorrow could bring about a slight bounce. Having failed to make a profit today, I have chosen an incredibly volatile share of late for my pick - CPP.

Following an FSA investigation and a suspension of trading over the last year and a half their share price has collapsed, with them experiencing further steep falls having resumed trading this week.

Assume you had purchased £10,000 worth of CPP today at 54p. They currently are trading at 54p.

I reckon tomorrow it should rise at least 3.7% to 56p with scope for a larger rise. A bounce will come tomorrow I reckon, the extent to which it rises is debatable. Alternatively it could continue its fall, but people will be looking for the bounce and after heavy falls the risk/reward looks excellent for a day trade.

This would net you at least £370 minus charges so £290 assuming the minimum expected rise on my behalf.

NB: I will NOT be setting a limit on this one so any profit that is made will be not necessarily be at 56p.

Trader2012

Where is everyone lol. Anyway pleasant weather again today and a decent stock market.

Today's results.

CPP preformed well today with a decent sized bounce, and certainly not reminiscent of a dead cat.

It closed at 54p yesterday.

Today it peaked at 61.25p up circa 13.4%.

It closed the day slightly off its peak at 60p up 11.1%.

Therefore had you invested £10k into CPP yesterday you would have net a sum of £1,110 minus charges therefore giving a profit of £1,030.

Thats the largest profit this week and a nice way to go into easter half term.

Im off on monday morning to Tenerife for 4 days so will be back on friday in time for easter weekend.

Will continue to post predictions for the following week and will post my proposal for monday later.

Well done to all investors and hopefully you'll have a nice set of share price rises next week.

Trader2012
Been putting up bloody curtain rails all day haha.

Nice little holiday money for you there, you seem to have quite a nack with those charts of yours. Might spend my Easter weekend cluing up on it.
Original post by Maccees
Been putting up bloody curtain rails all day haha.

Nice little holiday money for you there, you seem to have quite a nack with those charts of yours. Might spend my Easter weekend cluing up on it.

Curtain rails, lol.

If you have any questions, ask me. I will post my proposal for monday a little later on and feed back the results the day I get back.

Ntoe that I haven't invested in anything today as I won't be able to mange it next week. Therefore my proposal will have no value to me.
Curtain rails, lol.

If you have any questions, ask me. I will post my proposal for monday a little later on and feed back the results the day I get back.

Ntoe that I haven't invested in anything today as I won't be able to mange it next week. Therefore my proposal will have no value to me.

I don't have any questions yet, never really sat down and learned about charting, will look on the interwebz or something.

Have a good holiday anyway bud!
Amateur question here, how do companies physically pay dividends? Do they just credit your brokerage account or send you a cheque? Also, is the dividend yield a factor for most people when they invest in a company?
Curtain rails, lol.

Thought of a quick question, where do you look for companies with potential?
All the ones you have chosen so far have been spot on, I mean did you just choose them at random or was there a certain source or...?
Original post by RedCoat1510
Amateur question here, how do companies physically pay dividends? Do they just credit your brokerage account or send you a cheque? Also, is the dividend yield a factor for most people when they invest in a company?

I think they just credit your account (never received any myself) or you can have the option to automatically reinvest the dividend and you don't pay the broker fee.

Whether or not it is a factor depends on what you want from your investments. A lot of people on here go for small oil companies in the hope that it will bring very high returns. You don't expect an oil company to give out dividends for a while as they are more often than not operating at a loss until they hit the lovely sticky black stuff.

For longer term investments though it would be a factor, as it could be the return you are looking for. Dividends gradually increasing over time is a good sign as well for people looking for medium to long term investments as it (usually) means the company is doing better and better.
Reply 6549
Hi everyone, as the tax year is ending soon I just wanted some clarity on the taxes you have to pay on shares.

Since I use an online broker, they automatically pay the 0.5% stamp duty when I buy my shares.

I haven't made more than £10,600 profit so I am not liable for capital gains tax (http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/cgt/intro/basics.htm#5)

And my shares don't pay dividends so I am not liable to pay any tax on them.

Just to check, are these the only three things we need to worry about for taxes on shares? Thanks :smile:
Reply 6550
Subbing, I'm just starting out in this, what is the minimum you could invest? :smile:
Make or break time coming up for the Puntland drill :afraid:
Original post by Makaveli_The_Don
Make or break time coming up for the Puntland drill :afraid:

Haha, it is, im feeling a little nervy. I don't expect news today.

But its 3 weeks away at the very most.

The chart is forming nicely, although that will be blown out of the water on any result so I think it could be irrelevant.
Original post by airdoc
Subbing, I'm just starting out in this, what is the minimum you could invest? :smile:

You can do it with almost anything, but if you use too little, you'll make nothing due to brokers fees, a couple of thousand is probably advisable as an absolute minimum.
Anyone holding LOQ? After doing some research and following it for the last couple of weeks I've invested a couple of thousand. It's seems a pretty interesting company, great management, a great product, good growth prospects and no debt! Looking froward to the interim results later this month. Looking to hold it long term. Just wondering if anyone else had them in their portfolio?

If interested in LOQ then DYOR.
Reply 6555
I'm new to trading shares but what indicators would you guys look out for to show that a company's share price may increase very quickly the next day, so far I'm trading double tops and making tiny gains.
Original post by spitss
I'm new to trading shares but what indicators would you guys look out for to show that a company's share price may increase very quickly the next day, so far I'm trading double tops and making tiny gains.

News is the main thing that causes a share price to act in a ridiculous manner.
Original post by spitss

If we knew that we would all be very rich haha.
Reply 6558
ok ladies whats the deal?, its a good time to buy

my tips or the ones i follow religiously is XEL, BLVN, GKP ofc, and ESSR energy

i suspect BLVN is screaming buy at 80pish, could easily be £1+

and Xcite energy, with such good news, in the north sea, but very surpressed prices

DYOR
Reply 6559
Yesterday bought into an american pennystock HDSI.PK - after it had crashed from 0.14 to 0.008 over two days.

The company released a statement for the unusual trading activity saying that it had no news to explain such a drop, and then it rose to a high yesterday of 0.02. Looking at the pennant chart formation I'm thinking there could be a massive bounce on Monday that's definitely worth a punt of a few hundred quid imo...

But I'll be the first to admit that there are some far more knowledgable and better traders on this forum. I'd be extremely interested to hear other views on this stock? Especially someone like Trader2012 who seems to be very good at technical analysis, I'd be extremely grateful if you could give your opinion on this chart

DYOR

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending