The Student Room Group

[AS] enough time for revision?

ive pretty much started revision today, but it takes me say 2 hours just to cover a page in a textbook,

i need to somehow teach the whole of as chemistry to myself in the next week of the easter holidays, alongside revising for c1 c2, biol1 biol2, chem1 chem2 and english.

my first exam is on may 15th i think, do i have enough time and is it possible? :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by hazard404
ive pretty much started revision today, but it takes me say 2 hours just to cover a page in a textbook,

i need to somehow teach the whole of as chemistry to myself in the next week of the easter holidays, alongside revising for c1 c2, biol1 biol2, chem1 chem2 and english.

my first exam is on may 15th i think, do i have enough time and is it possible? :s-smilie:

YES! anything is possible - just believe in yourself..maybe set yourself a timetable to cover all areas of each subject and do past papers they really help - core 1 should be really easy..you can get full marks trust meee!
Reply 2

Join the club!

I've learnt C1 but I've still got another 6 to learn. C2, Physics Unit 1, physics unit 2, M1, economics unit 1 and 2. Economics is a piece of cake so I'm basically left with physics and maths to learn.

I believe I can do it so I guess it's doable.

I'll let you know when I get my grades in August :biggrin:
Yes it is possible. Just make sure you utilise the Easter Holidays as much as you can - if you don't then you wont get the results you want. I recommend that you do about 6-7 hours of revision a day for the rest of the Easter holidays. Some people on here might say that's a lot, but that's what I did last year, and I got the results I wanted. When I revise I divide the day up into morning, afternoon, and evening, then allocate a subject to each of them. Good luck with your exams. (:
Reply 4
Yes.. don't listen to those that say otherwise - it'll only demoralise you, and you don't need it at this stage. Make sure you revise smart not just hard. Plan a schedule and generally stick to it and make sure you understand/ cover everything! Work hard but not too hard, and start by revising the subjects you like the least and the topics you understand the least. Stick to the '8 hrs work, 8hrs rest and 8 hrs sleep' rule throughout the Easter holidays :wink:.

EDIT: So I get negged for trying to be helpful.. Cool.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
thanks guys, i feel a bit better now :biggrin:

but the thing thats getting me down is that i have to teach myself the whole of as chemistry, like for every other subject i listen in class, so i have a basic understanding, but for chemistry i gave up in lessons a long time ago, so i havent really listened, so the first time im coming across enthalpy changes and stuff like that is now when im actually looking through the textbook :/
Reply 6

but the thing thats getting me down is that i have to teach myself the whole of as chemistry, like for every other subject i listen in class, so i have a basic understanding, but for chemistry i gave up in lessons a long time ago, so i havent really listened, so the first time im coming across enthalpy changes and stuff like that is now when im actually looking through the textbook :/

i do AS chem on AQA, if you need any help just message me and i would be happy to help :smile:

Original post by cuckoo99
i do AS chem on AQA, if you need any help just message me and i would be happy to help :smile:

Likewise, I did Edexcel AS chemistry last year and got an A, so am happy to help. I think last year most of my revision was actually learning stuff for the first time, and it's not too bad. Just keep going over your chemistry stuff and you'll be fine! Enthalpy isn't too difficult anyway, just make sure you can do Hess cycles ;D
Reply 8
Original post by paulbridger
Likewise, I did Edexcel AS chemistry last year and got an A, so am happy to help. I think last year most of my revision was actually learning stuff for the first time, and it's not too bad. Just keep going over your chemistry stuff and you'll be fine! Enthalpy isn't too difficult anyway, just make sure you can do Hess cycles ;D

or he could just learn the equations :smile: though Hess's law can be very useful

enthalpy change= total bonds broken- total bonds formed
enthalpy change = total enthalpy for formation of products- total enthalpy for formations of reactants
enthalpy change = totaly enthalpy for combustion of reactants - total enthalpy for combustion of products
i would use the symbols but aint got em on the keyboard and cant be arsed to get em from the internet ;p
Reply 9
I hope so as I haven't started yet (I also plan to start tomorrow)
Original post by cuckoo99
or he could just learn the equations :smile: though Hess's law can be very useful

enthalpy change= total bonds broken- total bonds formed
enthalpy change = total enthalpy for formation of products- total enthalpy for formations of reactants
enthalpy change = totaly enthalpy for combustion of reactants - total enthalpy for combustion of products
i would use the symbols but aint got em on the keyboard and cant be arsed to get em from the internet ;p

You do a different syllabus - on Edexcel one of the exam questions could ask us to draw a Hess cycle in order to calculate an enthalpy change.
Reply 11
You should probably work on 2 hours a page per textbook but don't compromise that for learning effectively. Seriously, anything is possible, just stop posting on TSR and get on with it!
Reply 12
Original post by paulbridger
You do a different syllabus - on Edexcel one of the exam questions could ask us to draw a Hess cycle in order to calculate an enthalpy change.

ah ok on AQA they will never ask you to draw a hess's cycle but you can if it helps
I started in february and i have done

c1
s1
c2
unit 1 physics
Econ 1

All i can say is, step up the pace dude and when you get the grades, you will feel awesome.
You have loads of time, especially considering you're in lower sixth... I only do a week of revision for my degree, and my results aren't too bad.

Yeah definitely. I am revising for the second year of my degree and the first exam is end of this month! I know virtually nothing and need to build up from there!
Hi Yh like many are saying, if you believe in yourself, anything is possible in a range of time. Just see this example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132200/The-boy-set-getting-Cambridge-got-22-A-levels.html Good Luck! :biggrin:
Original post by Future_Dr
Hi Yh like many are saying, if you believe in yourself, anything is possible in a range of time. Just see this example: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1132200/The-boy-set-getting-Cambridge-got-22-A-levels.html Good Luck! :biggrin:

He is so inspiring.
Reply 18

OMG but HOWWWWW? :O not fair );

Original post by scorpio22
He is so inspiring.

Original post by Raj K
OMG but HOWWWWW? :O not fair );

Didn't he get bored of Computer Science and switch to some Philosophy-related degree in his 2nd year at Cambridge?
At least he's a one-off! :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest