The Student Room Group

Are people scared of homosexual people?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Respect3595
Forgive me father :frown:

So no logic, then? As expected from people who spew nonsense like that.
Original post by Retrodiction
I'm assuming from the lack of logically-grounded arguments in your post that you have none to offer? These kinds of statements referring to 'normality' are typically grounded in emotion rather than logic anyway, and are thus by-and-large fallacious.

The logic is present in his post, you simply chose to dismiss it because it offended you, perhaps because you're gay yourself or otherwise.

Being heterosexual is the norm, I think everyone can agree on this (I'm not saying its right or wrong, just that being straight is desired in society more so than homosexuality). Thus being gay deviates from that very common social norm.
No way I'm scared.

If they try hit me to the face with their fist and try to bang me, I just bang them back and give them a good hard fisting.

That'll show em' No one messes with the alpha male.
Original post by Ascendansy
The logic is present in his post, you simply chose to dismiss it because it offended you, perhaps because you're gay yourself or otherwise.

Being heterosexual is the norm, I think everyone can agree on this (I'm not saying its right or wrong, just that being straight is desired in society more so than homosexuality). Thus being gay deviates from that very common social norm.

And the logic is still missing. If we're going by population statistics, which you appear to be doing, having non-ginger hair is the 'norm', yet I imagine you don't hold the same views with regards to hair colour as you do to sexuality. To offer another example, people whose name is 'Ottoline' are in a minority, and thus not 'the norm', yet it seems silly to claim that it's wrong not to change your name from Ottoline once it's legally possible.

My point being that simply identifying that a particular trait is not dominant in a population is not in itself an argument in favour of the 'wrongness' of that trait. Oh, and before you say anything, I saw that you called it wrong in a post a few posts after the one I was originally responding to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Respect3595
It's just down right disgusting. Men & Women are designed to sexually reproduce. Not shove cocks up each others asses. Im just thankful that im not gay. People say whats wrong with gays but what the hell is right about gays?! Their sub-human. Simple.

Designed by whom? This argument only makes sense if we assume a designer. If an argument is to be logically binding in all cases it must be logically solid when considered under the umbrella of all metaphysical world-views.

And are you aware that to be a homosexual is not automatically to conduct homosexual sex? I myself am gay, yet I cringe with disgust at the thought of practicing homosexual sex. I think you need to leave TSR for a while and do a little research on the matter before pretending to have any understanding of it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Retrodiction

Oh, and before you say anything, I saw that you called it wrong in a post a few posts after the one I was originally responding to.

I do agree its wrong, that's my opinion. I didn't realise that I had to respond to some sort of back-seat moderator as a result of posting in a thread which directly asks about my own personal beliefs.

Oh and for the record, homosexuality is a choice.
I do agree its wrong, that's my opinion. I didn't realise that I had to respond to some sort of back-seat moderator as a result of posting in a thread which directly asks about my own personal beliefs.

You apparently didn't see the rest of my point, so I'll repost it for your benefit:

"And the logic is still missing. If we're going by population statistics, which you appear to be doing, having non-ginger hair is the 'norm', yet I imagine you don't hold the same views with regards to hair colour as you do to sexuality. To offer another example, people whose name is 'Ottoline' are in a minority, and thus not 'the norm', yet it seems silly to claim that it's wrong not to change your name from Ottoline once it's legally possible.

My point being that simply identifying that a particular trait is not dominant in a population is not in itself an argument in favour of the 'wrongness' of that trait. "

Please tell me at which point I chose to be gay? One day I arrived home from school and realised that I've never liked girls at all, and have only ever like guys. It was an observation rather than a decision. How does noticing a personal trait equate to actively choosing said trait? See? This is precisely what I meant when I referred to the absolute lack of logical thought on the part of those promoting your kinds of views.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm not scared i just think its freaky to think a male could look at me (I'm male) as a sexual partner. It's just odd to me. But then again there's no shortage of odd things in the world...
(edited 11 years ago)
I do think that alo't of people in society on the subject of homosexuality are very ignorant. People make out that people choose to be gay which isn't the case at all. People are sometimes born gay and they can't change that fact. I agree with the poster above just because people like men doesn't automatically mean they will have gay sex. We as a society have come a long way with this issue but we still have a long way to go.
You can continue making a fool of yourself by trying to make us validate you, its like you want a medal or something for being gay. Guess, what? No one cares and you should probably move on like the rest of us, instead of being the victim all the time.

You can choose not to act on those thoughts, by choosing to act on them - you're actively deciding to be gay. Having the thoughts is no biggie but acting upon them is the real evil.

To be homosexual is to be physically & emotionally drawn to members of the same sex. That's literally it. Relationships, sex and other actions are simply extensions of being attracted to an individual of the same persuasion, but the definition of homosexuality does not include any relational or sexual unions. Choosing to engage in homosexual relationships or sex does not equate to choosing to be gay, in the same sense that choosing to eat onions does not equate to choosing to like onions.

See? Once again, an absolute logical vacuum. I've presented my criticisms of your position and you've offered no refutation. Surely if you're intellectually honest you should change your view to my view? When I realise that I'm unable to offer a criticism of a position, and to respond to arguments against my own position, I change my view to the one I couldn't dismantle.

It's typically the same case with racism. When irrational, hand-waving bigotry is logically dismantled, the holders of such views completely ditch the arguments presented by both them and their opponents and change topic completely. Either defend your views & logically dismantle mine, or admit that yours are vacuous.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 50

Oh is it now? Show me your receipts, otherwise thats just an opinion from someone on a privileged pedestal. The vast majority of, y'know, gay people would disagree. Do feel free to insist that this is just because we're horribly biased and that you as, I assume, a heterosexual clearly knows better.
Original post by Muscovite
Ridiculous old prejudices remain. IT is proven to occur naturally in many species. In fact, if anything we should encourage homosexuality to keep the population down!! I dislike myself for wanting to further burden the earth by trying to copulate with a female all the time!

It's ok to be gay, but why would we encourage it when the majority are not gay?
Sounds like you're trying to be too politically correct, which is just as bed as not being PC at all.
Reply 52
Original post by cgraham15
It's ok to be gay, but why would we encourage it when the majority are not gay?
Sounds like you're trying to be too politically correct, which is just as bed as not being PC at all.

I was joking and making light of things :rolleyes:
Reply 53
Original post by nmudz_009
I'm not scared i just think its freaky to think a male could look at me (I'm male) as a sexual partner. It's just odd to me. But then again there's no shortage of odd things in the world...

Do you look at lesbians as a sexual partners?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 54
Original post by FinalMH
In the news recently homosexual people want more rights marriages etc.. TSR on a recently poll has given its backing to gay marriages. We are starting to allow gay people to play a bigger role in society. This is all fine! :smile:

My question is to people are you scared? (I don't have opinion on the matter)If you were to have a kid would you want him to be taught about homosexuals, heterosexual,Asexual,Bisexual?

People have this mentality on here that if you're against your kids being taught this you are against people being homosexual? Is this fair? I don't know if their is any correlation between being taught it in class and people coming out of the closet.

For the people who vote No. Do you agree it should be introduce (taught) into schools? :smile:

they scary as fuk cuz
Reply 55
Original post by No Man

just because i masterbate to something doesnt mean i think its normal.
Original post by FinalMH
For the people who vote No. Do you agree it should be introduce (taught) into schools? :smile:

I voted no.

No, I don't think we should discuss homosexuality just for the sake of discussing it - and I think that such an idea could end up potentially increasing the frequency of sexuality-related bullying.
Reply 57
Original post by FinalMH
In the news recently homosexual people want more rights marriages etc.. TSR on a recently poll has given its backing to gay marriages. We are starting to allow gay people to play a bigger role in society. This is all fine! :smile:

My question is to people are you scared? (I don't have opinion on the matter)If you were to have a kid would you want him to be taught about homosexuals, heterosexual,Asexual,Bisexual?

People have this mentality on here that if you're against your kids being taught this you are against people being homosexual? Is this fair? I don't know if their is any correlation between being taught it in class and people coming out of the closet.

I think 'hate' is the word you're looking for
Unfortunately people are scared of Homosexuals and i think this mainly comes from a large culture clash as well as religious and the way people are bought up. Personally i do not think someone should be judged due to their sexuality, each person to their own. Your sexuality does not make you a worse or better person! It's your upbringing, the way you act, your personality, how you communicate to others and your ideology that makes you a better or worse person
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by No Man

No I do not. Personally, i dnt think id be able to
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest