The Student Room Group

DO women expect to be chatted up in public places

Scroll to see replies

I'd prefer to be chatted up outside clubs/bars whatever. It seems more genuine, and thoughtful. Not just some drunk guy who decided he wants to chat me up.
Reply 21
i do think i should apologize here actually, females of the not so distant past have tried chatting me up, but they've been stone-walled.
once, out in town a girl that was trying to be friendly decided to kiss me, i remember turning around to look at her and then just walking away. wow i can play hard to get.

yeah, sorry women.
Reply 22
Original post by resentment.
i do think i should apologize here actually, females of the not so distant past have tried chatting me up, but they've been stone-walled.
once, out in town a girl that was trying to be friendly decided to kiss me, i remember turning around to look at her and then just walking away. wow i can play hard to get.

yeah, sorry women.

when did you finally come out?
Original post by I-Am-A-Tripod
Yes, but the girls have to pay an extra 15 pounds an hour for the priviledge.

And in my gym some guys have become experts of chatting up gym women, im sure some of these muscle bound donkeys join the zumba classes for one thing.

Hah, I know a few blokes who go to Zumba classes. We all know why they're really there.
Reply 24
when did you finally come out?

she was only a 5 and i was busy.
but it happens a lot at work in the evening when the women've had a bit to drink.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Like Gyms, supermarkets, train stations etc or do they think it is creepy and/or innappropiate.

I often see it in my gym where some guys seem to turn up jsut to chat up women on the treadmills. It has happened to me also that a girl has come over and stood next to me and started curling weights and then asked me if she was doing it right, i just shrugged my shoulders- tbh I didnt know if she was being flirty and expected some slick repartee' back from me or genuinely didnt know what to do but i was in the middle of a heavy set and couldnt really help her.

Does anyone feel this level of flirty dialogue is unnecessarry in places like the above and there is a time and place for it (ie in a bar, club, students union etc) or are happy to flirt with members of the opposite sex wherever they see them?

No. At least not me anyway. It is totally unnecessary and would quite simply make me feel very uncomfortable and maybe even offended (but that's just the slight feminist within me :tongue:).
Reply 26
Original post by Jelkin

Obviously this is a bit shallow, but chatting someone up on sight alone is also a bit shallow,

I think you're over exaggeration, a persons image reflects who they are as well. Besides the point of talking is to get to know them. Are Men suppose to wear blindfolds every time they meet a women?
Reply 27
No not really?

I don't go gym but I would hate to be approached at the gym.
Not shopping either
Train stations are alright, but don't talk loud :mad:
Reply 28
Original post by Jelkin
I reckon most women's responses would be:

Hot guy -> delighted
Average guy -> flattered
Unattractive guy -> creeped out.

Wouldn't this apply in any situation?
Original post by Jelkin

Hot guy -> delighted
Average guy -> flattered

This sounds correct
Reply 30
I think it depends more on the location of carrying out, what the OP was discussing. When I was in Salou, it was pretty much appropriate to chat up any women, at any time, at any place and it didn't feel inappropriate.

Really, you've got to look at the situation... Is the women in a park, picking flowers / eating an ice cream? Or is it 6:30pm, and she's carrying her textbooks and food shopping while waiting at an underground station? Use your manly judgement.
Reply 31
Original post by ..lauren
No. At least not me anyway. It is totally unnecessary and would quite simply make me feel very uncomfortable and maybe even offended (but that's just the slight feminist within me :tongue:).

You are a waste of a female.
Reply 32
Original post by ..lauren

Pervy men in the gym is the reason I dont go, it really puts you off working out. Very annoying.

This is why I work out at home instead, these days, much more convenient and you can blast your own music, which improves performance.
Reply 33
Original post by Chloe xxx
No, its irritating.

This is what I always thought. People are always saying "go out there and chat to girls in public" but I think to myself that even I as a guy if I was busy going about my business and some girl that I don't find particularly attractive starts talking to me I would probably rather it didn't happen And if I was pestered by girls all the time it would become annoying regardless of the popular male fantasy. I assume this is the same for girls.
Reply 34
Original post by sexbo
This is what I always thought. People are always saying "go out there and chat to girls in public" but I think to myself that even I as a guy if I was busy going about my business and some girl that I don't find particularly attractive starts talking to me I would probably rather it didn't happen And if I was pestered by girls all the time it would become annoying regardless of the popular male fantasy. I assume this is the same for girls.

You are correct, its also a myth men want to have sex with all and every girl.
Reply 35
Like Gyms, supermarkets, train stations etc or do they think it is creepy and/or innappropiate.

I often see it in my gym where some guys seem to turn up jsut to chat up women on the treadmills. It has happened to me also that a girl has come over and stood next to me and started curling weights and then asked me if she was doing it right, i just shrugged my shoulders- tbh I didnt know if she was being flirty and expected some slick repartee' back from me or genuinely didnt know what to do but i was in the middle of a heavy set and couldnt really help her.

Does anyone feel this level of flirty dialogue is unnecessarry in places like the above and there is a time and place for it (ie in a bar, club, students union etc) or are happy to flirt with members of the opposite sex wherever they see them?

Depends on the country and also the woman in question.

E.g. in Brazil, India, Italy and Latvia it may be acceptable.

But in Kuwait, Norway, Iceland and Yemen it will not be.
Reply 36
Original post by Chloe xxx
You are correct, its also a myth men want to have sex with all and every girl.

Finally a girl understands that while guys are generally more up for it we're not sex robots that **** every female with a pulse.
Reply 37
Original post by sexbo

Don't do it.

You can get prosecuted.

http://ldn.ihollaback.org/
Original post by Jelkin

Hot guy -> delighted
Average guy -> flattered

Obviously this is a bit shallow, but chatting someone up on sight alone is also a bit shallow, and besides, I'm pretty sure it would be the same sort of scenario if the genders were reversed.

EDIT: Of course it should be noted that different women will have different ideas of what "hot", "average" and "unattractive" mean.

In terms of whether they expect to be chatted up, I think generally the answer is no. Especially in the gym. My initial thought was horror at the idea of someone talking to me when I'm all red and sweaty, but then I really thought about it, and I still think my first analysis was correct. Although a woman who is feeling unattractive is probably less likely to realise she's being chatted up.

Don't think any guy would be creeped out just because a girl's unattractive. Men are very different to women when it comes to things like this.
Reply 39
Original post by Obadetona
Don't think any guy would be creeped out just because a girl's unattractive. Men are very different to women when it comes to things like this.

I would. Invasion of my personal space.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending