The Student Room Group

Did your University helped you get a placement?

Poll

Did your University careers service helped you get a job?

If yes, how? What support were you given?
Reply 1
Original post by migeon
If yes, how? What support were you given?

We had a very useful placement intranet (to find jobs on) and plenty of careers support.

The careers centre also offered to help with CVs, so that people avoided mistakes like say, er, putting helped instead of help. :biggrin:
Yes, the university had a database of vacancies for placements and applications were handled via this database. The careers centre also helped with CVs and ran mock interviews and assessment centres.
Original post by Smack
Yes, the university had a database of vacancies for placements and applications were handled via this database. The careers centre also helped with CVs and ran mock interviews and assessment centres.

+1
Reply 4
Original post by Smack

what do you mean, "applications were handled"?
What university are you in?
Reply 5
No, I did it all myself. The university has a database of placements at either end of the spectrum- essentially at Deloitte, or on a farm in Bulgaria. None of which appeal to me.

The careers advisers are fairly awful, in my opinion.
(edited 11 years ago)
I checked no - they didn't directly help me in applying for and receiving interviews for jobs.

However, they did provide us with constant updates of companies that have vacancies, as well as mock interviews and CV help etc.
Reply 7
My uni (Bath) took the money and ran. No help whatsoever.
Reply 8
Original post by biffyclyro27
I checked no - they didn't directly help me in applying for and receiving interviews for jobs.

However, they did provide us with constant updates of companies that have vacancies, as well as mock interviews and CV help etc.

So you checked no but you meant yes? :tongue:

I don't think anyone expects their university to do the applications for them.
Original post by M1011
So you checked no but you meant yes? :tongue:

I don't think anyone expects their university to do the applications for them.

No, I checked no because they didn't directly help me to find a placement. I did most of the work, they just gave me support to give me the best chance of getting a job.

Many universities provide their students with placements and have direct links or a certain number of places to put students in an organisation. I assumed that's what the question was asking.
(edited 11 years ago)
Mine (Imperial) had a pretty good list of companies, plus our departmental careers guy kept in touch with their hr people. Used the uni careers centre a few times, to get my cv and cover letter checked through.

Pretty happy about the entire service!
Reply 11
Original post by biffyclyro27
No, I checked no because they didn't directly help me to find a placement. I did most of the work, they just gave me support to give me the best chance of getting a job.

Many universities provide their students with placements and have direct links or a certain number of places to put students in an organisation. I assumed that's what the question was asking.

Provide their students with placements? What in the University? Paid? I can't imagine a decent company agreeing to have placement students dictated to them. I would classify a university that supported you finding vacancies, checked your CV and offered mock interviews as definitely helping you to find a placement.

Otherwise my University (one of the best known for placement years which nearly every student does) doesn't support people either. Anyway, no point arguing, just a disagreement on what OP means by help I guess :tongue:
Reply 12
We had workshops, our CVs checked, a good database. I think they also help with tweeking application letters and forms. I think they also do mock interviews. I was fortunate and got a placement early on so I didn't require too much. With our uni as long as you put in the effort they'll help you out as much as possible.
Original post by M1011
Provide their students with placements? What in the University? Paid? I can't imagine a decent company agreeing to have placement students dictated to them. I would classify a university that supported you finding vacancies, checked your CV and offered mock interviews as definitely helping you to find a placement.

Otherwise my University (one of the best known for placement years which nearly every student does) doesn't support people either. Anyway, no point arguing, just a disagreement on what OP means by help I guess :tongue:

Yes some universities do. My university offered paid placements, but you still had to apply and interview. Others don't though.

And I think companies still get a choice of students, but they will allocate so many placements solely for the students of those universities.

There are also a number of courses that put all of their students into a placement when it is a requirement for the degree. Such as nursing for example, they don't have to do anything to get the placement.

I don't think this was what the OP was referring to, but just a thought.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending