The Student Room Group

Help with Latin Translation - Graeciores

Hi! I'm currently studying GCSE Latin and have stumbled upon a phrase I am struggling to translate.

vos Romani estis ridiculi, quod estis Graeciores quam nos Graeci.

I think it means: You Romans are ridiculous, because you are more Greek than us Greeks. But I don't recognize the ending of the word Graeciores and so am uncomfortable translating it.
Original post by IlliteratePedant
Hi! I'm currently studying GCSE Latin and have stumbled upon a phrase I am struggling to translate.

vos Romani estis ridiculi, quod estis Graeciores quam nos Graeci.

I think it means: You Romans are ridiculous, because you are more Greek than us Greeks. But I don't recognize the ending of the word Graeciores and so am uncomfortable translating it.

Hi,
It's a comparative adjective and so it's based on the 3rd declension endings and hence it could be nominative or accusative plural. Here it is nominative because a) it's describing the subject of the verb and b) Graeci (the thing being compared and hence taking the same case as the other thing which it is compared to) is nominative.

Does that all make sense? If you have any questions, just ask,

toronto353
Original post by toronto353
Hi,
It's a comparative adjective and so it's based on the 3rd declension endings and hence it could be nominative or accusative plural. Here it is nominative because a) it's describing the subject of the verb and b) Graeci (the thing being compared and hence taking the same case as the other thing which it is compared to) is nominative.

Does that all make sense? If you have any questions, just ask,

toronto353

Thanks for the help! :smile: But Romanus and Graecus are 2nd declension nouns, aren't they? I understand what you mean about Graeci and the Romani being in the nominative though, so my translation was correct?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by IlliteratePedant
Thanks for the help! :smile: But Romanus and Graecus are 2nd declension nouns, aren't they? I understand what you mean about Graeci and the Romani being in the nominative though, so my translation was correct?

Well yes and no. They are second declension adjectives in the masculine and neuter form, but first in the feminine form. It's just a minor thing at the moment (you may have heard, if you study Greek, them referred to as 2-1-2 adjectives). The comparative of Graecus, Graeca, Graecum is Graecior with the endings like a third declension noun or adjective. From what I can you're right though. Is the above ok? Any questions on that?
what is the trabslation then pleaase?
Original post by alannah66
what is the trabslation then pleaase?

You Romans are ridiculous, because you are more Greek than us Greeks.

Quick Reply

Latest