The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by innerhollow
Yeah you're definitely right, I think if you go in with that attitude you'll be able to have a decent uni experience and get a good degree. I'm very happy with my life at this uni and I'm sure you will be too =]

Hey,

On the offer letter it says "Original certificate(s) of previous A level(s) to be submitted to the College."

Does it mean that i have to mail it to them? (Or will edexcel send it to them?)\

:smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by blacklistmember
Hey,

On the offer letter it says "Original certificate(s) of previous A level(s) to be submitted to the College."

Does it mean that i have to mail it to them? (Or will edexcel send it to them?)\

:smile:

Ask your department, only they'll know how they want your A-level certificate to be submitted. Do not assume the exam board will do it for you though.
Original post by vedderfan94
How do you find the workload? Although I see that you're studying Chem Eng (so will be more than for Physics) but is it generally manageable?

Also, does the cost of London hinder your student life? When I went for my interview, my interviewer was telling us about the cost and he said that we should expect to need around 10-12k a year to live on. I sent off my student finance application yesterday and the estimates indicate that I will also need some money off my parents as I haven't seen any scholarships that I'm entitled to from Imperial, so I'm a bit worried about struggling financially.

It doesn't cost me anywhere near that to live on per year. I'm just living off my maintenance loan (which fortunately is higher for London) with no grants. I will admit though that I am not an out going/particularly social person.

If you go for a cheaper room in your first year then you could get away with spending less than £4,500 a year on accommodation (or less than £3500 a year if you go for the cheapest double rooms or triple rooms). Extra costs could be anything between £1000 and £3000 a year though depending on how you intend you spend your student days. However, after first year costs will be greater as private accommodation is generally more expensive.
How do you find the workload? Although I see that you're studying Chem Eng (so will be more than for Physics) but is it generally manageable?

Also, does the cost of London hinder your student life? When I went for my interview, my interviewer was telling us about the cost and he said that we should expect to need around 10-12k a year to live on. I sent off my student finance application yesterday and the estimates indicate that I will also need some money off my parents as I haven't seen any scholarships that I'm entitled to from Imperial, so I'm a bit worried about struggling financially.

Imperial's financial aid package is pretty good. I know you mentioned scholarships but I figured this was worth pointing out in case you hadn't stumbled across it - I'm not sure if it's on the same bit of the Imperial website or not.
Reply 3204
Original post by Dark-Myth
Employers prefer IC over UCL. More bankers from IC than UCL. I don't know. IC is better in terms of everything except for the boy:girl ratio imo

Yep. Just an extra grade in Chemistry right? No problem. If it's not specified, they don't care.

nope. That also means I get A * in FM instead of Physics. How about it this time?
Cheers~!
Original post by bdfzyt
nope. That also means I get A * in FM instead of Physics. How about it this time?
Cheers~!

It's been done. But I can't say that for sure. Best for you to contact the Admissions Tutor
Reply 3206
It's been done. But I can't say that for sure. Best for you to contact the Admissions Tutor

OK, Thanks a lot~!
Hi! I was wondering how this works.

Is it possible if I do BEng in Electrical Engineering in any uni (say Sheffield), then apply for MSc (in the same subject field) in Imperial? Assuming I meet the entry requirements, how hard is it to gain admissions for the taught MSc Degree? There are few statistics on the Internet.

As a safety net, could I continue on with MEng in my first university, if I fail to gain admission in Imperial?
Also, what's the difference between a MEng and a MSc Degree? I need 4 years of education to apply for chartered engineering license in the country I come from.

What else do I have to think about?

The reason I'm considering this is, that I'm an international student and idea of surviving in pricey London for four years is not sustainable.

Really appreciate the help! THANKS SO MUCH.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by purplesparks14
Hi! I was wondering how this works.

Is it possible if I do BEng in Electrical Engineering in any uni (say Sheffield), then apply for MSc (in the same subject field) in Imperial? Assuming I meet the entry requirements, how hard is it to gain admissions for the taught MSc Degree? There are few statistics on the Internet.

As a safety net, could I continue on with MEng in my first university, if I fail to gain admission in Imperial?
Also, what's the difference between a MEng and a MSc Degree? I need 4 years of education to apply for chartered engineering license in the country I come from.

What else do I have to think about?

The reason I'm considering this is, that I'm an international student and idea of surviving in pricey London for four years is not sustainable.

Really appreciate the help! THANKS SO MUCH.

You should really ask Sheffield. The course structure might be different for BEng and MEng streams. It certainly is for Imperial. So you can't just do BEng, and then carry on with MEng. You'd have to do BEng and then MSci. This is because if you're in the MEng stream, you do a Group Project in Year 3, and Solo Project in Year 4. In the BEng stream, there is no Group Project.

For Imperial, you have less choice of what modules what to do with MSci. You pick a subject field for MSci, and you are only given subjects to pick from. Whereas, MEng, you pretty much have free choice with regards to the modules you want to do.

Quite honestly, I don't think London is THAT expensive. Coming from Manchester, it's maybe 10% or 20%more?
(edited 11 years ago)
You should really ask Sheffield. The course structure might be different for BEng and MEng streams. It certainly is for Imperial. So you can't just do BEng, and then carry on with MEng. You'd have to do BEng and then MSci. This is because if you're in the MEng stream, you do a Group Project in Year 3, and Solo Project in Year 4. In the BEng stream, there is no Group Project.

For Imperial, you have less choice of what modules what to do with MSci. You pick a subject field for MSci, and you are only given subjects to pick from. Whereas, MEng, you pretty much have free choice with regards to the modules you want to do.

Quite honestly, I don't think London is THAT expensive. Coming from Manchester, it's maybe 10% or 20%more?

Heyy! Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I sorted it out with Sheffield. It's sort of possible, and apparently it actually happens with their students- leaving to Cambridge/ Imperial. Ah I see how Imperial works then. Do you have a clue on whether it's easy/hard to get in to the MSci course? Of course, nothing in Imperial is easy. But statistically speaking, perhaps?

I don't mind studying at either unis, it's just that an Imperial degree goes THAT much further in looking for jobs. :frown:

And Well, converting currencies and all, I FEEL like I might slowly go bankrupt and die in London hehe. Just in case, so I'm exploring all options.

THANKS THOUGH. :smile:
So on Wednesday I'm having a campus tour of Imperial College because I never got the chance to look around when I went for my interview (I was late :redface:).

The tour lasts an hour and my train isn't until half past six so I was wondering what else I should do whilst I'm in South Kensington? What particular attractions should I see? I'll have around 4 hours of free time whilst I'm there, so I figured I'll get something to eat and then explore :smile:
So on Wednesday I'm having a campus tour of Imperial College because I never got the chance to look around when I went for my interview (I was late :redface:).

The tour lasts an hour and my train isn't until half past six so I was wondering what else I should do whilst I'm in South Kensington? What particular attractions should I see? I'll have around 4 hours of free time whilst I'm there, so I figured I'll get something to eat and then explore :smile:

Hey. I'm international so don't really know (although I have been to London a couple of times :biggrin:) but please do take pictures and post some here. :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3212
I have a question?
My int'l friend said she applied to Aeronautical Eng to IC, Suton, Bath, Bristol & surrey in January, few days before closing date. Two weeks after that she said she got telephone interview with IC and few other and she got all 5 offers after two weeks of applying?

Will that be real or she is mucking about to wind me up...

I don't know London too well, but if it's sunny you could go to Hyde Park (5 minutes away from the South Kensington Campus.) The Science Museum is also really close to the campus. You could also get the tube and go to Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament, Oxford St. etc. I don't think it takes that long on the tube; and there'll be plenty of places there where you can grab something to eat :h:

Did anyone else get an invite to the Imperial Festival? It looks pretty good :yep:

Right next to Imperial college you have the V&A museum, the Natural History Museum and the Science Museum. You have also got Hyde Park only a few minutes away. There are loads of places in the area to get food. You won't find it hard to kill 4 hours. :smile:.
Original post by purplesparks14
Heyy! Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I sorted it out with Sheffield. It's sort of possible, and apparently it actually happens with their students- leaving to Cambridge/ Imperial. Ah I see how Imperial works then. Do you have a clue on whether it's easy/hard to get in to the MSci course? Of course, nothing in Imperial is easy. But statistically speaking, perhaps?

I don't mind studying at either unis, it's just that an Imperial degree goes THAT much further in looking for jobs. :frown:

And Well, converting currencies and all, I FEEL like I might slowly go bankrupt and die in London hehe. Just in case, so I'm exploring all options.

THANKS THOUGH. :smile:

Glad I've helped. As for stats:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/planning/statistics/collegestatistics

9.2 applicants per place for Postgrad for 2010 entry.
mfw I had a campus tour and I was the only english person out of about 17 people...
mfw I had a campus tour and I was the only english person out of about 17 people...

welcome to London xD

Original post by kaosu_souzousha
welcome to London xD

If you're the only English person. Ditto the above^

If you're the only white person. Welcome to Imperial. :P
I know this is rather late but... has anyone STILL not heard anything for maths at Imperial? :frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending