The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6500
An evil John Lennon.

But the 60s version looks just like Macho Man Randy Savage.

OHHHH YEAH. *wiggles fingers*
Original post by nonotrly
An evil John Lennon.

But the 60s version looks just like Macho Man Randy Savage.

OHHHH YEAH. *wiggles fingers*

I saw the movie today and definately agree.
Original post by soup
I think the point really is that other films should have been on that list instead of Avatar. As mentioned previously, Inception is the most original Holywood blockbuster in years. However, it is not on that list. Avatar has certainly been the most influential film in the last couple of years because it was filmed in 3D, and what is everyone doing nowadays, shooting in 3D. In terms "advanced filmmaking techniques" sure they filmed with 3D cameras, but who actually prefers 3D to 2D? I think The Dark Knight using IMAX cameras for a live-action fictional feature was much more of an achievement that shooting in 3D. And I would rather go see an IMAX feature than a 3D feature.

IMAX cinemas aren't very good-I went and it was poor because you are further away from the bigger screen,making it just the same or worse than on a normal screen and I like to be really close to the screen like in normal screenings and 3D really allows you to see the images in another dimension and level of perception.
Reply 6503
Original post by Dalek1099
3D really allows you to see the images in another dimension

You don't say. :p:

Anyway, it looks like reviews for Moonrise Kingdom are actually getting better. Seems like one really worth looking out for. :holmes:

Also really want to watch Elena.
Reply 6504
Also, I'm hearing Cosmopolis (the new Robert Pattison movie) is rather good. :holmes:

And here's something you guys might enjoy - the best of the worst from Cannes. :teehee:
Going to see Prometheus on Friday. Pretty excited for it.:excited: I had a look at the Odeon listings and I only have 3D showings available. Anybody here seeing it too?

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
This looks like fun: Movie Mimic Tumblr.

He travels the world recreating movie scenes.

Quite cool really.
Hopefully,I should see a movie in the half term-I wonder what movie my brother will choose?-I wanted to see Wrath of the Titans but he didn't choose it so I wasn't too happy Was it any good?
Reply 6508
Going to see Prometheus on Friday. Pretty excited for it.:excited: I had a look at the Odeon listings and I only have 3D showings available. Anybody here seeing it too?

Yep looking forward to it, have the same 3D problem as well. :frown:

Finally got around to watching the two Tropa de Elite films over the weekend, both extremely good. :yy:
Do any of you guys find the MIB series incredibly dull? I never really saw the hype with it.
I still have another month of exams left so no Prometheus for me :cry:
Fight Club or Donnie Darko?

Me and my mate are completely split as they're each of out favourite films (and we vehemently defend them). :wink:
I have a three month lovefilm subscription ready to go! The list of 'must watch' films keeps on getting longer :tongue:

I haven't been to the cinema in months! Exams took over. Quite a few friends want to watch The Dictator so that'll probably be the next one. Hopefully it's good...
Original post by Glenbot3000

Me and my mate are completely split as they're each of out favourite films (and we vehemently defend them). :wink:

Fight Club is twice the film.

Will most likely be watching it on Friday in 3D, and if possible, in the IMAX theatre.

dat eighty foot screen :drool:

In other news, I've just finished watching Jean Eustache's The Mother and the Whore. A perfect example of the post-New Wave, and arguably Jean-Pierre Leaud's greatest performance ever. It was long (the film is 210 minutes!), though not in a bad way; just long.
Reply 6516
Original post by Glenbot3000

I don't actually think Donnie Darko's all that good. It's got some great scenes, like burning down Patrick Swayze's house, but I find the ending annoyingly ambiguous.
Reply 6517
I watched two excellent films yesterday in Land and Freedom and L.A. Confidential. :coma: Watched Jean Vigo's short (23 minute) film À propos de Nice this afternoon, and hopefully watching Trainspotting tonight. :sogood: (And then the plan is Tyrannosaur tomorrow and Nil By Mouth the day after to complete a really kitchen-sink bunch of films :colondollar:)

Also, seeing as it doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here, the results of Cannes' awards day:

Palme d'Or - Michael Haneke's Amour
Grand Prix - Matteo Garrone's Reality
Jury Prize - Ken Loach's The Angels' Share
Prix de la mise en scène (i.e. Best Director) - Carlos Reygadas for Post Tenebras Lux
Prix du scénario (i.e. Best Screenplay) - Cristian Mungiu for Beyond the Hills
Best Actress - jointly won by Cristina Flutur and Cosmina Stratan, both for Beyond the Hills
Best Actor - Mads Mikkelsen for The Hunt
Camera d'Or (the award for debuting directors) - Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Those are the main ones, anyway. (Wikipedia has the full list here)

I really want to see Beasts of the Southern Wild now - it also won the Grand Jury Prize at Sundance. :holmes:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6518
Seeing Moonrise Kingdom tomorrow, really looking forward to it. :h:
Reply 6519
Well, changed my plans somewhat and watched Tyrannosaur today. Properly depressing - distressing, even - film, that. Very well done and all, though. But very harrowing for me; I'm not sure if I could watch it again (I probably will in due course, but you know what I mean :colondollar:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending