The Student Room Group

GCSE AQA English Language 29th May 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Thanks a lot for posting these! (:

Do you happen to have the mark scheme by any chance?

Yeah :O I need it too, so If you find it could you give me the link please :smile:
Reply 41
My teacher and tutor both told me that for:
question 1 all you have to do is quote from the text. 8 quotes for full marks or 6 explained for full marks.

For question 2 all you have to do is say how presentational devices are used to explain the text or help to explain and how useful they are

For question 3 it's usually about saying how he uses language to create a certain mood - and the points you make don't have to be that detailed, literally they just have to be very basic points as long as you have a valid explanation

Or question 4 it's usually comparative, which is usually the harder one to answer. My tutor said that each year try give you three extracts, and one usually seems completely different and so you should do the ones that seem the same, and ten just comment on how each writer uses different language techniques to create the same effect. For example I did the January 2011 exam and their were two about action and then one about a dead dinosaur, so I chose the two action ones and explained how they both used dynamic verbs, but one used incrementum etc.

Hope this helps!

I didn't get on to the writing though as its my weakest point, anyone got any tips as to how to write to get good marks on section B? Would be much appreciated!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by cardigansandjeans
Okayyy, forget that

Heres another website where you can see the papers

This is Januray 2011 Question Paper:

http://ebookbrowse.com/aqa-eng1h-w-qp-jan11-pdf-d324875757

January 2011 Insert:

http://ebookbrowse.com/aqa-eng1h-jan11-insert-pdf-d312292466

January 2011 Markscheme:

http://ebookbrowse.com/aqa-eng1h-w-ms-jan11-pdf-d290207632

Do you want the links for the June 2011?

Thanks again! Do you or anyone else have a link to the JUNE 2011 MS?
Original post by GCSEgirl13
Thanks again! Do you or anyone else have a link to the JUNE 2011 MS?

Here it is

http://ebookbrowse.com/aqa-eng1h-w-ms-jun11-pdf-d338007582

No problem, glad to be of help :smile:
Reply 44
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=holiday+brochures&num=10&um=1&hl=en&biw=1366&bih=598&tbm=isch&imgrefurl=http://www.advancedimages.co.uk/travel/%3Fimage%3D1022&tbnid=aY-WnUkP-1FMTM&docid=G2e25HMLnf5CdM&ved=0CAcQhRYoAA&ei=ZBzCT62ACsaW8QPhk4zwCg&dur=3913
Ok i wrote a made up question for this leaflet tell me if it's good
Q) Explain how the headline and picture are effective as well as how it links to the purpose?
The headline is in white bold font, it promotes the purpose of the leaflet and helps it stand out behind the deep blue backround, also the word 'world' is much larger than the word 'wide' this suggests that the leaflet offers a broader choice of destinations and that the word as much more of an impact. The image of the boat above the crystal blue sea looks very close to floating out of the image this implies that the boat might symbolies the choice that the audience is given and leaves a space for the audience to image where it's heading. The backround image of the green tree contrasts the blue sky and sea causing it grab the audiences' attention; it also causes them to look at the family near it. The family also presents the fact this leaflet could offer family resorts.
That's all i got
Reply 45
For Question 1, is it just Point and Evidence, and not explaining it? And how many points are you supposed to make?

For Question 3, what language techniques are you supposed to talk about?

In Question 4, what parts of language are you supposed to compare? Any examples?

For Question 6, if it is argue, do you give both sides but persuade is only one side?
For the longer writing task, can they ask you to advise? Or is it just persuade and argue?

For the shorter writing task, can they ask you to describe, inform and explain?
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Thanks a lot for posting these! (:

Do you happen to have the mark scheme by any chance?

You're in luck, i do have the mark scheme and i will post it later today. :smile:
Original post by the A* guy
You're in luck, i do have the mark scheme and i will post it later today. :smile:

Thank you so much! XD :biggrin:
Does anyone have any tips for revision?

Also how do you answer the third Question, the one with "thoughts and feelings"
i'm not sure if I have to talk about language techniques in this question, is it necessary to? :confused:
Reply 50
isn't question 5 writing about a past experience, and question 6 writing to pursuade?

this helped me prepare, my exam is next tuesday too- woo :unimpressed:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by cardigansandjeans
I think you can start writing. Im probably gonna skim the first extract start the question, and skim the rest when i come to do the other questions. Timing is crucial in this exam....every second counts.....

Thank you and yes definitely! I am quite quick at reading and writing but I want longer to spend on the last two questions to make them good rather than rushed :smile:
Does anyone know what the AO's are for both sections???
Reply 54
Does anyone have any tips for revision?

Also how do you answer the third Question, the one with "thoughts and feelings"
i'm not sure if I have to talk about language techniques in this question, is it necessary to? :confused:

Thoughts and feelings, just try and say feel and thinks a lot to make your answer relate to the question

Original post by getoom
Does anyone know what the AO's are for both sections???

These are the AO's taken from the Mark scheme:

SECTION A: READING Assessment Objectives:
i. Read and understand texts, selecting material appropriate to purpose, collating from different sources and making comparisons and cross-references as appropriate.
iii. Explain and evaluate how writers use linguistic, grammatical, structural and presentational features to achieve effects and engage and influence the reader, supporting their comments with detailed textual references.

SECTION B: WRITING Assessment Objectives:
i. Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, using forms and selecting vocabulary appropriate to task and purpose in ways which engage the reader.
ii. Organise information and ideas into structures and sequenced sentences, paragraphs and whole texts, using a variety of linguistic and structural features to support cohesion and overall coherence.
iii. Use a range of sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate punctuation and spelling.

HOPE IT HELPS :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Original post by Smarticus
Thoughts and feelings, just try and say feel and thinks a lot to make your answer relate to the question

Thanks, that seems like a clever thing to do!! :biggrin::biggrin:
These are the AO's taken from the Mark scheme:

SECTION A: READING Assessment Objectives:
i. Read and understand texts, selecting material appropriate to purpose, collating from different sources and making comparisons and cross-references as appropriate.
iii. Explain and evaluate how writers use linguistic, grammatical, structural and presentational features to achieve effects and engage and influence the reader, supporting their comments with detailed textual references.

SECTION B: WRITING Assessment Objectives:
i. Communicate clearly, effectively and imaginatively, using forms and selecting vocabulary appropriate to task and purpose in ways which engage the reader.
ii. Organise information and ideas into structures and sequenced sentences, paragraphs and whole texts, using a variety of linguistic and structural features to support cohesion and overall coherence.
iii. Use a range of sentence structures for clarity, purpose and effect, with accurate punctuation and spelling.

HOPE IT HELPS :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

thanks
Good luck all!! - My suggestion is that you read Short Stories so that we can learn techniques on how to answer the 'Write a short story about an experience that changed your life' questions correctly :smile:

Quick Reply