The Student Room Group

Personal Higher Predictions for August?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LiveToSki
It is about a young girl in Florence in the 15th Century, It starts as her as an old nun in a convent about to die and her recollections of her past and how she hopes she has earnt redemption, and it goes into details about her as a young girl and why she entered the convent. More confident about this one than the discursive..

What was your personal essay about?

Ooh wow that sounds interesting, better than the normal usual cliche stuff people write about it! Really cool :smile:
Ummm I tend to have a problem with letting things/people/places go and saying goodbye, so I wrote about the 3 'main' events which showed me the problem and how I've come to face it up, blah blah blah haha :tongue:
*** I started to write way too much about the story haha, go into a lot of detail and almost retell it so i shortened it to one line :P

Hahaha no I liked reading it, it genuinely sounded really interesting! I think you've got to be really imaginative to do it at higher level :tongue:
Higher History - A/B
Higher English - B (if not i'll cry) :unimpressed:
Higher Human Biology - C

Int 2's ~
Maths - A/B
Spanish A
Reply 23
Maths- A/B ,Most likely a B :frown:
Graphics- A
Chemistry- A
English A/B/C/D
Physics- Not sat but confident I'll get an A :smile:
Admin - A
Information Systems - A
Modern Studies - B
German - B

Modern Studies and German I got A's for in the prelims, just didn't feel the exams went particularly well. Hoping for 4 A's anyway!
Fashion & Textiles - B/A thought I done well but could have done terrible
History - C hopefully scraped a pass was wanting a B though
Business C/B depending on how the exam goes since I haven't sat it
Photography -D/C/B it's all folio work so hard to judge

need at least a B for uni, BB for my firm though
only one I'm confident in is fashion which probably means I've failed it haha
Higher Maths - A (got 77% and 89% in the last two prelims we done)
Higher French - A/B (praying that I've clinched an A by a few marks and already have 22/25 in speaking)
Higher Music - A (paper seemed dead easy and I counted about 30/40 on it so hopefully with my practical...)
Higher Business - A/B/C (nice paper but I dunno if I've followed the command words properly...)
Intermediate 2 English - B
(edited 11 years ago)
Higher Media - not a clue! I'm certain I passed it though. I'm hoping for at least a B. :smile:
Int 2. Philosophy - B.
What sort of things do you do in media? Do you get to make mini -films and stuff? If so, that would be really cool :smile::smile:

It depends where you go what you get to do.

My class was lucky enough to do a practical unit for the "Media Production" section (section 2 in the exam). We were required to make a 3-5 minute film, either to entertain or be informative, targeted at both males and females age 18-25. We had three weeks for pre-production, three to film it and then two for post-production. My group made a documentary about what can be done for £20 or less in Glasgow with a focus on clubs, gigs and cinemas.

Some other schools/colleges do a different unit instead which I think involves the creative side of coming up with the ideas but don't actually execute them... youjustburnkid could probably tell you more/correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

For Media Analysis (section 1 in the exam) it's quite similar to English, in a way. You're given a text (ours was this Amnesty International teleshopping spoof) and have an hour to write an essay on it in the exam. There is also an unseen analysis section on the exam (it's external and can be sat at any point in the year, I think - we did it immediately after finishing the unit at the start of March) that required analysing an unseen text. I'm not sure if it was just my class, or all classes, that analysed magazine covers for this section.

We also studied a Glaswegian film (Small Faces) for one unit - it was relevant to a NAB rather than the final exam. :smile:

Original post by youjustburnkid
H Media - A

*quoted just to get her attention because I want to know too, haha*
Reply 29
I'm still to sit Higher Art but that is my strongest subject so I am pretty sure I will get an A.
Higher Maths - B/A I've counted my marks and seem to be sitting just a little past the cut off for an A...
Higher English - A Mhmmmmm not sure it could be a B but I'm hopeful!
Higher Modern Studies - A The questions were perfect for me and had essays which I have done A LOT so I'm confident about getting an A.
Higher French - B I'm pretty uncertain about French since I don't know if my essays were that high quality, and I hated the listening.
Reply 30
So far Chemistry, Biology & Maths all looks like As. English I have no idea, although I got 90% in my prelim so I should be okay. Physics tomorrow :nopity:
What sort of things do you do in media? Do you get to make mini -films and stuff? If so, that would be really cool :smile::smile:

Original post by sinfonietta
It depends where you go what you get to do.

My class was lucky enough to do a practical unit for the "Media Production" section (section 2 in the exam). We were required to make a 3-5 minute film, either to entertain or be informative, targeted at both males and females age 18-25. We had three weeks for pre-production, three to film it and then two for post-production. My group made a documentary about what can be done for £20 or less in Glasgow with a focus on clubs, gigs and cinemas.

Some other schools/colleges do a different unit instead which I think involves the creative side of coming up with the ideas but don't actually execute them... youjustburnkid could probably tell you more/correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

For Media Analysis (section 1 in the exam) it's quite similar to English, in a way. You're given a text (ours was this Amnesty International teleshopping spoof) and have an hour to write an essay on it in the exam. There is also an unseen analysis section on the exam (it's external and can be sat at any point in the year, I think - we did it immediately after finishing the unit at the start of March) that required analysing an unseen text. I'm not sure if it was just my class, or all classes, that analysed magazine covers for this section.

We also studied a Glaswegian film (Small Faces) for one unit - it was relevant to a NAB rather than the final exam. :smile:

*quoted just to get her attention because I want to know too, haha*

We studied 'Glee' and 'Top Gear' for our texts.

My class produced a music video

Another class produced an advert, and another class produced a short film aimed at the new first year pupils. It all just depends on the brief you are given by your teacher.

For the second part of the exam we didn't write about our production but applied our knowledge we gained throughout the year to designing a poster and writing about our justifications regarding what you did for the poster

LiveToSki If you have any other questions I'll happily answer them to the best of my ability!
Original post by youjustburnkid
We studied 'Glee' and 'Top Gear' for our texts.

My class produced a music video

Another class produced an advert, and another class produced a short film aimed at the new first year pupils. It all just depends on the brief you are given by your teacher.

For the second part of the exam we didn't write about our production but applied our knowledge we gained throughout the year to designing a poster and writing about our justifications regarding what you did for the poster

LiveToSki If you have any other questions I'll happily answer them to the best of my ability!

What were each of the texts for? Exam? NAB? Both?

So the entire class worked on the one project? We were divided into groups of five. We all had the same brief. One group made a documentary about the Highers program at our college, another was about ScotRail and their (un)reliability, one about football (our college is a 15 min walk from Hampden Park), another about tattoos & piercings. etc. We were allowed off-campus during class time for the three weeks of filming. I spent it on trains and walking all over central Glasgow. :tongue: Although we had to keep an 80% attendance rate for the eight weeks we spent on the project otherwise we would fail. Our lecturer said it's the last year she's teaching production but I bet she changes her mind. x)

For section two you're graded on justifications, not art skills, right?
Original post by sinfonietta
What were each of the texts for? Exam? NAB? Both?

So the entire class worked on the one project? We were divided into groups of five. We all had the same brief. One group made a documentary about the Highers program at our college, another was about ScotRail and their (un)reliability, one about football (our college is a 15 min walk from Hampden Park), another about tattoos & piercings. etc. We were allowed off-campus during class time for the three weeks of filming. I spent it on trains and walking all over central Glasgow. :tongue: Although we had to keep an 80% attendance rate for the eight weeks we spent on the project otherwise we would fail. Our lecturer said it's the last year she's teaching production but I bet she changes her mind. x)

For section two you're graded on justifications, not art skills, right?

We did a NAB on both texts, and we were allowed to choose either for the exam but our teacher strongly suggested Glee.

Yeah, we had two directors, three camera men, casting, costume, continuity etc etc. And then managed to get about sixty other people from the school as extras.

Yeah, our teacher said spend a maximum of ten minutes doing the drawing and then the rest of the time we had to do the justifications.
Reply 34
H English: B/C
H maths: C/D
H french: A/B
H business: A/B
H spanish: TBC

It's great, at the start of the year I was aiming for AAAAB, after the prelims it was AABBC now its AABCC

To everyone who, like me, still has exams to go, best of luck!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 35
AH Biology - A
H Admin - A
H Chemistry - A
H Physics - B

So gutted about Physics. :frown: Sounds lame, but I really wanted to leave school with a perfect record. Ah well, it was a crash higher, and I basically learned how to do the subject a week before the exam, so can't complain too much.
Reply 36
H French - A (got full marks for speaking which is 25% of the overall grade so I'm hopeful)
H Drama - A/B, depending on if I had a good marker for the acting exam
H English - B (I HOPE D: never passed any prelims in English but my teacher has faith due to essay questions and folio)
H Maths - C, I was hoping for a B but the exam was so terrible, and even with a lowered pass mark I think I'll only achieve a C
H Computing - Still to sit it tomorrow! But I have a high coursework grade and I've never had anything less than an A for prelims / tests so I think it'll be an A :smile:
Reply 37
Higher English : A/B
Higher Biology : A
Higher Modern Studies : No Idea. A/B/C! (depends on how nice my marker is)
Higher Business Management : B/C
Higher Chemistry : C/D

No idea really. AHH so annoying, want to plan for uni's and not have to wait for results day.
They sound like good results if you get them.
Are you planning to go to university? :smile:

Yeah, I'd like to go to Stirling to do maths and French if they'll let me in! Just need 4Bs for it so I hope Ive scraped a B in business then I might have met the conditions before applying! Would be brill if I have! What about yourself :smile:?
Reply 39
Say if the entry is ABBB for a course, would a combination such as AABC be considered? I don't know how uni's filter through applications, do they look at tarrif points?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending